General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Not Moving/In Training/Ironman

Height: 5'6

Default So Bummed :(

I just got an email from one of my favorite piano student's parents saying that they will have to cancel piano lessons due to financial issues. I offered some options to reduce cost to hopefully retain them, but I'm not sure any of them will work.

Sigh, so hard when she is literally my BEST student. And her parents seems like the kind that would be offended if I offered free lessons (which I understand).

I guess on the plus size my evening is free tonight because of it, but yeh, that is a bitter sweet thought.
100Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #2  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Is there something she can DO for you rather than pay? Maybe some light chores or something? Something that maybe her parents could live with.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #3  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Hey there 100Mother, I send my support to you. I study guitar and I have done it on and off, with lessons sometimes more frequently than others due to cost. I know my guitar teacher cares about me too, and it music is a great thing that can bring people together. That is so nice that you offered to give free lessons. If she stops taking lessons, I would be bummed too, but I like Vex's idea. Take good care of yourself.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

A barter is a great idea! One service for another! The student could maybe water your plants, take out the trash, do some dishes maybe? I call that a win/win! Tell them you've done that with previous students in the past and then maybe they won't feel self conscious about it (even if it's a little bit of a white lie). I hope it works out. Either way, you're very kind hearted to care about your student.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Bummer! That is so unfortunate. That's awesome you teach piano though! Love the bartering idea suggested.
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

I also vote for the bartering idea
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: Not Moving/In Training/Ironman

Height: 5'6

I like the bartering idea, but she is a little bit young. The parents are going to get back to me on the options I proposed.

Thank you all for your support!
100Mother is offline   Reply With Quote