Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #1  

Default Moms with little ones, especially new babies, when do you run?

Any advice/experience/input from moms please!!!

With baby #3 on the way, I am already trying to figure out when I will get a real workout in with 3 kids. I don't know how this baby will sleep. My first son didn't sleep through the night until he was almost a year and was up at like 5 am, and would scream!!! in the crib as soon as he woke up. Getting up to exercise was like torture, I was beyond sleep deprived for about a year.

My second son, totally opposite. Slept through the night earlier, and when he would wake up in the crib, played and was happy until I came into get him. He also slept later. By then my second was old enough that he would get up and pay on the floor of their room with his toys. With him I would get up at like 4-5am and run for about an hour, (hubby was home of course!) and when I would get back he'd be all smiles waiting for me!!

Now I don't know what this baby will be like, but I will also have two other kids...I am 110% a morning runner!!!!! I will not run outside at night, and even the though of getting on the treadmill at night sounds horrid! However, with three kids, I'm afraid that morning exercising might not work. Our treadmill is in the play room, back to the door, can't turn it around, and my concern if if my middle son gets up while I'm running, he might try to get on. We just moved here, the place we used to be at (before I was pregnant) had a basement so that was not a worry. .. I'm also worried my new baby will be an early riser/poor sleeper like my first and I'll have to get up at like 3am to work out or I'll be too tired to!!. Night time running means my two older kids will definitely not wake up while I'm working out, so no fear of middle one surprising me from behind on the treadmill, but it means staying up late...something that I don't like to do knowing I have a baby that might be getting up in the middle of the night!

As for the jogging stroller, I won't use it with the baby until 6 months, plus my middle will be almost 3 1/2 by then...I had this issue with my two kids now. The age difference is big enough that the double jogging stroller is difficult for the older (larger) child...and I can't use it very long until the older child out grows it.
Gym membership is no longer an option. I either have to pick early mornings or nights.

Oh my almost 6 year old will be at full time school next year. Probably have to get him on the bus around 8am??

When do you fit in your run with several young kids?
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 196/196/140

Height: 5'2

Good luck!!!

I have a two year old and a seven month old so I know how hard it is to find time to work out. I'm afraid I don't have any advice since my solution is to run at night and you don't want that.

My kids wake up super early (if they're up at 6:30, it means they slept in) and DH starts work at 5:30 so I'd have to get up really early to work out in the morning. I just can't do that.

I started C25K in April, on days that my oldest was in preschool. I used the jogging stroller with my baby. But as my runs got longer, I realized I really disliked the stroller. So now I run at night and during nap time on the weekends.
Angelic Fruitcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #3  

Night time....If it were my LAST option, next to no running, I'd do it, but only inside on the treadmill...I'm really hoping to make mornings work.

What time at night do you workout? Is it right after the kids are a sleep? Do you have trouble falling asleep after? What time do you head to bed? Sorry do many questions!!
Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/196/140

Height: 5'2

I go out around 7:45-8:00. The baby goes to bed at 7 and DH takes care of bedtime with my oldest at 8.

I have no trouble going to bed after. I go to bed around 10.
Angelic Fruitcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

When I had little ones I used to get up at 530 then be at the gym or running 6am then back home for 645, hubby left for work at that time... If kids woke up he was there, he is the father after all and if they woke up he kept them busy until I got home...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #6  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

When does your hubby go to work? Can you set a schedule with him that you run on certain mornings and he takes care of the kids for that hour?

That way he knows he better shower the night before...lol

Or, if your middle child takes a class during the day (my daughter does gymnastics) you can take off with the baby for a run in the jogging stroller.
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #7  

Its hit or miss with my husband. He has a flex schedule. Sometimes he does work late and isn't home until mindnight and then has charting to do. I wouldn't ask him to get up with the kids early the next day in those cases. And since his schedule changes all the time, I can't say, plan to run every Monday.

But the issue is that on the days he is off or is home early (like 6pm) he still stays up late. He just doesn't get up with the kids. They could be screaming and yelling, and he just sleeps through it. And if he does get up, I come home to an attitude.
Unfortunately, my husband is morbidly obese, and does not think exercise is a priority in anyway. He's fine with me doing it if I don't ask anything of him....He acts like I have this annoying hobby that shouldn't interfer with our life. I remember many times I would have a long run scheduled for a Sunday when he was off and he would make plans, saying we should go here or ther, and I'd tell him that I have a run for that morning...One time he decided in the morning that he wanted to take the kids to this museum in the city, when I was on my way out for a run...he refused to wait for me to run and told me to choose....I chose the run and they all went without me.

Its like he wants to see whats more important, my runs or his wants...

He's not as much of a jack *** as it sounds, he just looks at exercise as a waste of time and I think there's some jealously there when I lost the weight. So in his mind if being HIM being healthy isn't worth his time that me being healthy absolutely isn't worth his time.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 05-16-2013 at 11:28 AM.