Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/142/135

Height: 5'4"

Default I finished my first ... !!!

Greetings all!

I finished my first official Half Marathon recently! I met all of my goals for it too:

1- Finish!
2- Run the whole time
3- Come in under 2:45. My official time was 2:44:43!!! Although, that includes 2 bathroom stops, one in which I had to wait in line... So I prefer to go by my garmin time of 2:36:06

I also signed up for my first full marathon this fall, which will also be the first race I'm traveling for.

I'm sort of in the mindset of "if something scares me, I need to do it!" 26.2 miles is definitely a bit scary!

Plus, I went to my first Crossfit class this last Saturday, and I am still sore! I think that place is going to really kick my butt.

Anyone else have some firsts they'd like to share?
KindaSortaAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #2  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations!!!!!! You have have have to change your screen name here - there's nothing kinds sorta about you!

I'm doing my first full marathon this fall too and I'm scared sh*tless haha but I also still love the 5 milers [my all time favorite course length] and the mud run obstacle races [I live for those].

I keep wanting to try cross fit but I go to a kickboxing studio now and there's just no more time in the day yet but it's on my bucket list - go you!
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #3  

You are awesomely inspiring!! Congratulations!!

I'm finishing up C25K next week but I'm nowhere near running a 5k yet (I'm much too slow yet!) so your achievements are that much more motivating to me! Thanks for sharing and congrats again!

(You might want to copy and put your post in "mini-goals"---a lot of people like to read success stories like yours but not all of them read in the exercise threads!)
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #4  

Congratulations--I could walk a marathon--but no way I could run it. That is quite an accomplishment.

Last edited by Kscott; 05-15-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Not Moving/In Training/Ironman

Height: 5'6

WOW! That is SO awesome! Congrats!!!!!!
100Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #6  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

Brilliant!!!
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #7  

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

lm3898 - are you excited about your marathon?? What training plan are you using? I feel like miles 2-7 are my sweet spot. I'm hoping that by running longer and longer distances I get used to the higher mileage...I hope! I haven't tried a mud run yet. All these race registration fees are starting to add up!

elvislover - I only started running, for the first time in my life, in Dec of 2011 using the C25K program. That thing works! I did it by time vs. distance, and I was barely making 2 miles at the end of that program running for 30 mins. It took me a while to get up to an actual 5K distance too. I've gotten faster, but I'm still a pretty slow runner. But you know what they say - no matter how slow you run, you're still lapping everyone on the couch! Thanks for the tip about the mini-goal forum, I will cut and paste there

Kscott - you could run it if you trained for it, I'm sure! Although frankly, most races have time limits, so to come under that time limit walking, you've gotta be hustling! I think that would be a great challenge in itself.

100mother & kitcherella - thanks!!
Old 05-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindaSortaAthlete View Post
elvislover - I only started running, for the first time in my life, in Dec of 2011 using the C25K program. That thing works! I did it by time vs. distance, and I was barely making 2 miles at the end of that program running for 30 mins. It took me a while to get up to an actual 5K distance too. I've gotten faster, but I'm still a pretty slow runner. But you know what they say - no matter how slow you run, you're still lapping everyone on the couch! Thanks for the tip about the mini-goal forum, I will cut and paste there
I only suggested copying it over there as you deserve to have lots of people read it and get inspired!! (I think the ones who don't like exercise don't come near the exercise forums lol!)

You inspire me, esp. knowing that you started with the C25K and now me seeing all that you have done since then! And you are right, we are lapping everyone on the couch! Plus I always tell my husband "I'm a runner!" and I love saying that (but I do laugh when I say it as this time last year I could hardly walk I was so out of shape!).

So happy to read your post. I commented on the other one too, hope you don't mind!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
I only suggested copying it over there as you deserve to have lots of people read it and get inspired!! (I think the ones who don't like exercise don't come near the exercise forums lol!)

You inspire me, esp. knowing that you started with the C25K and now me seeing all that you have done since then! And you are right, we are lapping everyone on the couch! Plus I always tell my husband "I'm a runner!" and I love saying that (but I do laugh when I say it as this time last year I could hardly walk I was so out of shape!).

So happy to read your post. I commented on the other one too, hope you don't mind!
Hahaha

You ARE a runner! I feel like I've come a long way, and you will too. From being so embarrassed for anyone to see me run at the gym, let alone in public...to being so self conscious of all the parts of me that jiggled way too much when I ran...to not wanting to go to the real running store to get shoes because I thought maybe the sales people there would be judging me thinking of myself as a runner... I got over most all of that! And well, getting some tights to hold in the jiggly bits helps too

I've been a solo runner this whole time, but I just signed up for a running club here to sort of conquer one of my last fears - running with other people. I always feel like I'll be the slow person holding everyone back. But I hear they have a bunch of people in my pace range...so maybe I'll make some new friends.

Just keep moving, elvis - you've got this