Old 05-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153.8/142/120

Height: 5'0"

Default Iodoral - thyroid function

Quick question: Although all of my other bloodwork came back excellent (first time ever), my thyroid levels showed as "low normal". The doctor who is supervising my program recommended Iodoral to supplement my iodine/iodide. My main reservation about starting this is that I have read on previous threads that some aspects of IP are hard on your thyroid. I'm hoping to start phasing off in the next month or so, depending on the effects of exercise I just started. Has anyone else taken this supplement? If so, what were the effects? I'm concerned that it might have long-term effects on my thyroid function.
Thanks
Sansfilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

I have not used Iodoral.
The TSH test is an "opposite" test so for Low TSH the number would be less than 1 (or even 0.5), which is starting to be HYPERthyroid (high thyroid). This might show up as having lots of energy, unable to sleep.

HYPOthyroid (low thyroid) shows up as a a high TSH, which is arguably above 3, some say 6. This may show up as tiredness, cold all the time, difficulty losing weight.

These numbers are so very unique to each person, with some people actually feeling quite well with very low TSH numbers and some feeling not-so-great when the TSH is over 3.

IP did not impact my numbers from two months prior to starting to a blood test at 55lbs lost; TSH was almost exactly the same. However, 8 months into maintenance, TSH is on the low end of normal (I feel warmer more than I have in the last 10 years, I think.)

This link is a reputable source to start if you want to research your decision:
http://thyroid.about.com/od/newscont...muchiodine.htm

In maintenance, it is likely that your salt intake might go up slightly (depending on your reliance on processed foods); if you use Real Salt, it does not contain added iodine like most table salt. Also, take into account if you plan to continue taking a multi-vitamin that contains iodine.

Sometimes it helps to ask your doctor "what happens if I don't take this?" or ask if you can get the bloodwork redone in 3 or 6 months before taking it. It's kind of a negotiation to get the care you want. Also ask regarding the side effects if you do take it.

This is my non-medical opinion.
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

Iodoral is just an iodine supplement. Your thyroid needs iodine to function properly. I have hypothyroidism and used Iodoral for 4 years and never once noticed a difference physically or in test levels. The prefered method is to use foods. Kelp, algae (red, blue/green) have absorbable iodine and are much better for your body.

I have been on IP for 8 1/2 months now, have lost 101 pounds and have had no change whatsoever in my thyroid function. Go based on how you feel, not just the TSH test which is not a very good indicator of how your thyroid function is for *you*.
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #4  

Thank you so much for the replies. I did some research, and the list of side effects was as large, if not larger, than the list of benefits. Even though it is a supplement and should be fine, I agree that the whole food approach is a better way to go. Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #5  

Whole foods sells kelp sprinkles, which shakes on like salt.
I use it daily to add iodine through food.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #6  

Lisa- Thanks! I'll look for those the next time I'm there.