Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #1  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Default Did I really just post in the "Exercise" forum?!

So far I've managed to lose approximately 47 pounds by simply counting my calories and restricting my intake. It took a lot of mental work and dedication to my goal, and although I have my "slip ups" or "off plan" days I've stuck with it and always get back on the horse when I do fall off.

Now that I'm considerably smaller than when I started, weight lose has been slllllllllllooooooooooooooooww. Mentally I knew that slowed losses and plateaus are common, but man oh man, it is still frustrating! I'm not comfortable lowering my calorie allowance any further, so I've turned to...

...Drum roll...

Exercise!

I started C25K earlier this week, and surprise, didn't die! I was actually proud of myself for lugging my butt up and down the street as I trotted along. I've always admired runners and have wanted to be amongst them, but my utter un-athleticism has always been a roadblock. Well, I finally came to terms with the fact that it's all in my head, and I can run, I just have to start small. Yes, it hurts, and yes it's hard for me to regulate my breathing, but it will get easier. No one just wakes up and wills themselves to be an athlete after years of being sedentary. It takes work, just like moderating food intake takes work.

I'm a total running newbie, but am determined not to fail! I've decided to sign up for a 5K at the end of the summer (I'm thinking late August or early September) to keep me motivated. So, does anyone have any advice to help get me started?
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #2  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

That is awesome, and you will like how your body will get toned and reshaped, plus getting better each day what comes to be able breathe when you run is a rush itself. (I miss running, I was in great shape when I was a runner; I shattered my ankle nearly 5 years ago and all the hardware hurts plus the ankle has never returned back to normal, so I am "just" was walker now a days ) Congrats!
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Well done and it is weird to post about exercise isn't it! I did nothing out of the ordinary (e.g. walking to work) until I was about 50 down. Then I hit the gym. And then I hit the treadmill.

I love the treadmill as it puts less stress on my joints (that's a tip).

I also listen to music while running (another tip) and have some light running shoes (there's another).

I just run (didn't have the patience for C25K in the end) but when I was going to start it I got an amazing app for my phone (called C25K free) that will give you the instructions over your headphones for your C25K. So, it will stop your music and say "start running" before starting your music again. It will then time needed for you to do this before saying "start walking". It's brilliant because you don't need to look at a watch. And it knows the C25K program. This is my best tip!

My only warning is water. My weight has been much more volatile with exercise. Today I lost a pound after gaining 4lbs (yes 4!) in the two days before. So chill out with the scale a little. Long term you drop weight faster but there could be bigger fluctuations than you are used to.

Last edited by IanG; 05-11-2013 at 10:08 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #4  
Krissy Missy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum38 View Post
That is awesome, and you will like how your body will get toned and reshaped, plus getting better each day what comes to be able breathe when you run is a rush itself. (I miss running, I was in great shape when I was a runner; I shattered my ankle nearly 5 years ago and all the hardware hurts plus the ankle has never returned back to normal, so I am "just" was walker now a days ) Congrats!
I hope so! I feel like my pants size is a big large for my weight (I'm wearing size 10 shorts, but I still have a pair of size 12 jeans that fit). That stinks about your ankle, but walking is good too. I love going on long walks with my DS in his stroller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Well done and it is weird to post about exercise isn't it! I did nothing out of the ordinary (e.g. walking to work) until I was about 50 down. Then I hit the gym. And then I hit the treadmill.

I love the treadmill as it puts less stress on my joints (that's a tip).

I also listen to music while running (another tip) and have some light running shoes (there's another).

I just run (didn't have the patience for C25K in the end) but when I was going to start it I got an amazing app for my phone (called C25K free) that will give you the instructions over your headphones for your C25K. So, it will stop your music and say "start running" before starting your music again. It will then time needed for you to do this before saying "start walking". It's brilliant because you don't need to look at a watch. And it knows the C25K program. This is my best tip!

My only warning is water. My weight has been much more volatile with exercise. Today I lost a pound after gaining 4lbs (yes 4!) in the two days before. So chill out with the scale a little. Long term you drop weight faster but there could be bigger fluctuations than you are used to.
That app sounds so cool! I don't have any music on my phone though, I only have a little ipod shuffle (which reminds me, I need to find it and load it up with more music to get me moving!). Thanks for the water warning too... Like many I dread seeing the scale go up, but if I'm doing everything "right" I know it won't last.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #5  

You are doing awesome!!! Love the new profile pic btw!

I'm starting Week 8 of C25K tomorrow (on my treadmill) and am still shocked about what I have accomplished. I actually thought (before I started) I'd probably never make it through the first day or 2 and it would just be one of things that I said I tried and couldn't do. Imagine my surprise that I got this far!!!

It's not easy and I can't imagine anyone ever seeing me run (LOL) but I know I can do it and love the feeling after my lesson is over. The adrenaline rush is from the accomplishment I think, not necessarily the run!

You are going to do awesome, I can't wait to read your updates!!

(And just remember the scale might stall a bit with your water retention. It almost made me want to quit running to get the scale to move but then I refused, I'm not letting the scale own me and my excitement with running!!)
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Wow I'm amazed with what you've accomplished just by eating right. Adding exercise to your day will add so much more to your life! It makes you feel better, helps you cope with stress, and it can become quite addictive. You know the saying "Dieting makes you look etter in clothes, exercise makes you look better naked."

Watch out for hunger though, exercise will alter your appetite and make you hungrier. Just be on the lookout for those extra cravings.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #7  
Krissy Missy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
You are doing awesome!!! Love the new profile pic btw!

I'm starting Week 8 of C25K tomorrow (on my treadmill) and am still shocked about what I have accomplished. I actually thought (before I started) I'd probably never make it through the first day or 2 and it would just be one of things that I said I tried and couldn't do. Imagine my surprise that I got this far!!!

It's not easy and I can't imagine anyone ever seeing me run (LOL) but I know I can do it and love the feeling after my lesson is over. The adrenaline rush is from the accomplishment I think, not necessarily the run!

You are going to do awesome, I can't wait to read your updates!!

(And just remember the scale might stall a bit with your water retention. It almost made me want to quit running to get the scale to move but then I refused, I'm not letting the scale own me and my excitement with running!!)
Thanks Elvis! And BTW, if I haven't told you already, congratulations on onederland! I started week 2 today, and I was actually able to run for the 90 seconds straight (up from the 60 second intervals from last week). One step at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Wow I'm amazed with what you've accomplished just by eating right. Adding exercise to your day will add so much more to your life! It makes you feel better, helps you cope with stress, and it can become quite addictive. You know the saying "Dieting makes you look etter in clothes, exercise makes you look better naked."

Watch out for hunger though, exercise will alter your appetite and make you hungrier. Just be on the lookout for those extra cravings.
LOL, what a great quote! I'm going to remember that one for when I don't feel like getting out the door.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #8  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

One reason why running is such a great sport is that pretty much everything is a Personal Best for a long time when you start ; you'll just go from a better time for the same distance, you ran a longer distance, you tackled a hill you had to walk before, etc... I loved to be able to point out little victories, from one week to another. It really helps to keep you motivated!

My piece of advice : shoes are really important if you don't want to get hurt. I don't know what you are running with right now, but if you planned to keep running, get a pair of good fitted shoes!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #9  
Krissy Missy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboMammoth View Post
One reason why running is such a great sport is that pretty much everything is a Personal Best for a long time when you start ; you'll just go from a better time for the same distance, you ran a longer distance, you tackled a hill you had to walk before, etc... I loved to be able to point out little victories, from one week to another. It really helps to keep you motivated!

My piece of advice : shoes are really important if you don't want to get hurt. I don't know what you are running with right now, but if you planned to keep running, get a pair of good fitted shoes!
You're right, the whole personal best thing is quite motivating. I like the idea of incremental increases that are part of C25K, I really feel like I'm making progress. Right now I'm running in my rebocks. I bought them a few years ago and use them as an everyday shoe when the weather is too cold for sandals but too warm for boots. They're pretty comfortable and aren't causing me any pain as of now, but I might invest in a new pair if funds become available (money is a little tight right now, and I have a few things I've been waiting to buy). Thanks for the advice!