Old 05-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202.2/147.6/130

Height: 5'2

Unhappy Off plan :(

I went to a Cinco De Mayo potluck at my church today. Knowing there would be nothing for me, my dish was a taco bake, which I was super excited about because I could eat it and it was delicious. And then I couldn't pass up that banana chocolate cake. I only had a half a piece, and probably a little more then a serving of my taco bake, along with the raw veggies...so I didn't go too far off plan, but that cake was definitely uncalled for. So I slept in this morning...I only had one meal before lunch, and if I can hold off until 4ish (4 hours after lunch...) and only have 2 meals this afternoon (4 meals instead of 6) I think that can make up for it? I really don't want to be kicked out of ketosis... How do you handle falling off plan?
Andi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I roll with the punches and forget it ever happened. Life happens and I am mostly happy it does.

My happy hours would make your Cinco De Mayo look like a greens salad!

Last edited by IanG; 05-05-2013 at 02:44 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #3  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

Ugh! I'm so sorry! Damn that tempting banana chocolate cake!

I've gone off plan twice in the past 5 weeks. I drank a vodka tonic a little over a week ago and just HAD to have some guacamole at a friend's house last last Tuesday. The guacamole was on plan, but she didn't have any dipping veggies, so I ate some low-fat triscuits (they are about 1/3 of the size of a regular triscuit, and I had about 8 of them). Not on plan, but better than the tortilla chips, which was the other option... And then there was the time I ate an Otter Pop thinking it was sugar-free. It wasn't...

None of those 3 incidents kicked me out of Ketosis, and with the exception of the cracker incident, I actually saw a loss the following day. My fingers are crossed for you!!!
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #4  

Thanks...I can't say I regret it, . I thoroughly enjoyed that cake, and it's the only time so far I've ever toed the line, but if it kicks me out of ketosis I will regret it. I don't want to go through those three days again. I think I will try to stick to only 3 medifast meals today, and I think I'll be ok. I wish I knew how many carbs that cake had, though.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

ˇFeliz Cinco de Mayo! Glad you had fun at your church! Sorry about the off-plan moment. While I understand ketosis, I'm not sure to what extent you would revert back to carb. metabolism or for how long. But it seems to me that if you return to plan it wouldn't take very long to return to lipid metabolism given that it was just the one meal, and not very much cake. I'd say don't sweat it, and I think you showed honorable restraint given the delicious and vast amount of food at most church potlucks!
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

The first couple of days going into ketosis are tough because your body has not been used to work on ketones. It takes about three weeks of changes that include making the machinery that creates and utilizes ketone bodies. That means changes in gene expression and mostly likely some more semi-permanent changes that are called epigenetic. Technicalities aside, once you have the machinery, going out of ketosis and back in should not be such a big deal. You lose weight when you have a calorie deficit. Ketosis prevents you from getting hungry and may promote fat loss, particularly when you are carb sensitive, but it is not per se necessary for weight loss. Just go back on plan and everything will be fine. Particularly as you managed to show restraint. Willpower is a good thing.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #7  

Thanks guys. I got in touch with my coach this evening and apparently the biggest mistake of the day (moreso then the cake) was not eating for 6 hours afterward. I honesty wasn't trying to make up for it (or maybe I was a little) but I was NOT hungry, even at 6 when I finally ate. SHe said if it happens again continue the day like nothing happened even if it means going over in carbs. On the plus side, I did not go over in carbs today I'm still hopefull that tomorrow Im in ketosis...though I'm not sure how to tell for sure as I only have that smell about me about half the time, but oh well...I'm ok with today, I'll start over tomorrow and stay on plan. Thanks for all the support!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #8  

And I still lost .4, and smell something awful today. So I'm all good
Old 05-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #9  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi24 View Post
And I still lost .4, and smell something awful today. So I'm all good
Did you ever think you'd be so happy to smell awful when you woke up?
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #10  

HAHA right? I hated it at first, but then I figured out that it's only bad to me, and I'm getting used to it (I've had several trustworthy people smell me) and I like knowing for sure I'm in ketosis.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #11  

I have never posted on any forum and I am new to Medifast. I started two weeks ago today. I have two questions....
The awful smell that you are talking about, is it your breath?
And also yesterday I messed up big time, a donut and a sandwich. But here is whats weird the first week I actually had 2 brownies but still lost 7 pounds but I weighed myself this morning and I gained two pounds which makes week two loosing zero?? Does anyone know why I still lost the first week and has anyone else messed up this bad?
Bdejong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #12  
Medifast 6/18/13

S/C/G: 255.6/see ticker/155

Height: 5'6"

Bdejong, I am about the same as you, I am just finishing my second week. I am not sure about smell, but I did have really bad breath the first few days. I lost 7 lbs the first week also, and am very nervous for weigh in tomorrow, even though I have been OP. I think at some point everybody messes up, the important thing is to move on and get back OP.
becksdog is offline   Reply With Quote