General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/216/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Argh! Need a Dress!

I just found out about a somewhat formal event I have to go to NEXT WEEK!!

Any one have any suggestions of good places to shop? I'm about a 16/18. I HATE my upper arms, so it's always a pain in the butt to find a formal-ish dress that has sleeves, or that goes with a shawl or shrug (and then I have to find a shawl or shrug).

I could also use ideas as far as style is concerned. It's a banquet/awards thingy at an old-guard type club. Not black-tie, but men will be wearing dark suits, to be sure.

I'm ok with cleavage, but like I said, I need sleeves of some sort, and nothing backless. I tend to gain weight in the middle, but I do have pretty big boobs to balance it out a bit. I'm not sure what styles look good on me.

Fortunately, I live in a big city with lots of stores. Just trying to think of something that will not require too much searching and will be flattering.
MarjorieMargarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #2  

Do you have a TJ Maxx near you? I was there the other day and they had gorgeous dresses, all styles from beach casual to more formal. I'd go get a pile of them and head to the dressing room!

I always fuss with a shawl, shrug, scarf, etc. so I'd opt for a one piece dress with sleeves and be done with it.

Good luck!! I hope you find something sooner than later and let us all know what you got!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #3  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Is there a Dress Barn or a Lord and Taylor near you? They both have lovely clothing. I got a beautiful dress at Dress Barn that was a bit formal so I don't wear it often but they have a lot of great choices and sizes there. With informal jewelry, the dress, shoes and Spanx, it came to a little over $200. I think their prices aren't that bad. How about a 3/4 or cap sleeve if you are don't want to show your arms? I often do that because I feel more comfortable that way. For style, maybe choose something more on the conservative side as far as cleavage and I think a knee length is appropriate. These are just my opinions... You'll find something! I know, shopping can be irritating some times but there is also a list of stores in one of these forums, I THINK, I just can't remember the name of the forum now- Looking Good, Feeling Great or something like that?
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #4  

I was just on Lane Bryant's website and they extended their BOGO sale. I have had them ship to their store (they do that free) and it's arrived there in less than a week. There are some pretty dresses on their site and not very expensive if you use the sale to get 2 things.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Ugh, I wish it wasn't so soon because I was just looking at this website and their dresses are GORGEOUS!

http://www.igigi.com/plus-size-dresses/

This from Norstrom

Or this one from Norstrom
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #6  

Munchy---YES, YES, YES to all of those links!! Gorgeous dresses!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #7  

Munchy- wow, I LOVE the igigi link- those dresses are beautiful! I will probably order one or two just to have on hand for future occasions like this! Some of them do look similar to the ones Lane Bryant has on their site, and there is a LB close to my house so I will check it out. For some reason, I never shop at LB, but they do have quality clothes and I didn't realize how much I like their dresses until I just looked through them at elvislover324's suggestion.

Thanks so much! I'll let y'all know what I end up with!
Old 05-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #8  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Beautiful dresses! Too bad the prices are little steep...still, when I have the spare cash, I'm coming back to that website....
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #9  

Ok, I got two...Both from Kiyonna.com. Lane Bryant also sells the same dresses, and at first I thought they were cheaper at LB, but I ended up finding a coupon code for 15% off at Kiyonna which made them the exact same price as LB. I went with Kiyonna because they offered expedited shipping and LB didn't that I could see (I need the dress by this Thursday- still keeping fingers crossed).

I'm leaning toward wearing the black "luna" one, it's a bit more conservative and I think the purple "illusion" may be a bit too revealing for a business-y event, even at nighttime. I'll have to try them both on to see, though. What do y'all think?

http://http://www.kiyonna.com/plus-size-clothing/Dresses/11122608
http://www.kiyonna.com/plus-size-clo...esses/12120901
Old 05-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #10  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

I like the first one better, I think it is a nicer cut and more appropriate for a fancy event. That is my opinion.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #11  

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the illusions dress, that would have been the first one I tried on in the store. I don't think it's too much, esp. for a night function. But of course, do what is most comfortable for you. I hope you get them quick and love them both! Then you'll have to decide which one you love MORE!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #12  

UPDATE: I got them both, but both of them look terrible. They looked very cheaply made (which I did not expect for dresses that cost $120+ each) and they hung weird. I'm returning them both, but am out $$$$ for the rush shipping I paid for and the return shipping. Not super happy about it. Don't think I'll be buying clothes online from vendors I don't know well ever again!

I do have another dress I can wear- I wore it to SIL's wedding last year, and it'll be fine. Sigh. Just wanted something new!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #13  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjorieMargarine View Post
Argh! Need a Dress!
A pirate dress?
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #14  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjorieMargarine View Post
UPDATE: I got them both, but both of them look terrible. They looked very cheaply made (which I did not expect for dresses that cost $120+ each)
Ok, I only came to this thread to make my pirate joke, but I'm shocked that one has to pay more than $120 to get a dress that isn't cheaply made! I thought that was a lot of money to pay for a dress! I guess I'm cheap!
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #15  

I agree- I have never spent that much on a dress before. I had a little extra cash and I just started a new career, so I was willing to shell out more money thinking I was getting better quality. Nope.