Old 05-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/Ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Your Atkin Menus?

I'm getting ready to start Atkins but can't remember what I used to eat. I remember having eggs & bacon in the morning but what do you guys eat for lunch & dinner? Also, what would be good ideas for snacks? I don't like veggies but I'll have to gulp them down somehow.

Thanks!
SophieCormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

You can get LOTS of ideas from Linda's Low Carb site:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

I typically have a big salad for lunch and add lots of veggies to it and top it with tuna salad, egg salad or chicken salad or grilled chicken or steak. Dinner is usually some type of beef, pork, chicken or fish with a green salad & a green veggie.

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW370/319/200

Height: 5'9"

Today is my day #1. I'm going to do induction with open arms this time.

I ate 2 poached eggs and a slice of cheese for breakfast.

For lunch is romain lettuce, shredded broccoli, leftover chicken fajita meat and a few slices of grilled green pepper topped with peppercorn ranch dressing. My snack is a mozzarella stick.

Dinner is open, but I think I'm going to thin slice some cucumber with a mayo/ vinegar dressing, eat another salad with the romain, a few thin slices of avocado, and maybe turn some of the ground beef into some taco meat to top it off.

My family wants sloppy joes, and the sauce is too carb-y... so I'll cook off a bit of my own and make that salad with the side of cucumbers. That's my TODAY.

Good luck with your planning. I didn't do it wholeheartedly last time, so this time, I'm doing it different. I have a few tea bags and some broth cubes here as well for any other needs that arise lol.
KerriLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #4  
Gettin' my JIGGLE Gone!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

They say eggs is a staple in the Atkins diet, and to look for the free-range ones.

For breakfast, I cook 2 handfuls of spinach and kale with 1 tbsp of olive oil over a pan on med-heat, until the leaves are slightly wilted. Then I add 3 scrambled eggs, and mix together with the spinach/kale... I add my house seasoning, which is garlic powder, salt, and pepper.. then voila, my favourite breakfast, Spinach egg scramble! I sometimes have it for lunch instead of breakfast, too.

For snacks, I cook up some chicken breasts (either baked or bbq'd), and cut them in strips, and have a few when I'm feeling hungry before a meal. That, and a few celery sticks or sliced cucumbers with ranch dip. I buy Babybel cheese for quick snacks, too.

For lunches and dinners, I have a lot of cooked veggies (I don't really like raw veggies, lol) and fish, chicken, beef, pork. There are a lot of veggies you can steam... also, you can stir fry some bell peppers, broccoli, and your favourite meat.

I hope that gives you a few easy ideas
Renniekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #5  

This is my second try at Atkins. I'm on day 4 and feeling pretty good! I got some headaches the first night and next two days that I solved with ibuprofen. Besides that, I've felt great. I've made it a point to really push my water, drinking 5-6 bottles a day of the 17oz ones.

Breakfast (daily): Two poached eggs and a slice of cheddar cheese melted on top. Coffee with two oz of Half and Half.

Lunch: I pack my lunch for work. I've been packing a salad with green, leafy veggies, about 1/4 cup of broccoli shreds (like broccoli cut like cole slaw) and either a few strips of green bell pepper or some cucumbers on top. Peppercorn ranch dressing. Then I put either chicken breast or fajita meat on top. Right now it's leftovers from grilling this weekend. Today, I didn't pack my lunch, so I was headed to Schlotzsky's to get a salad. I looked on MFP and most of their salads were at LEAST 12 net carbs. Ugh, so I drove to walmart for make my own salad ingredients!

Dinner: I have been doing the same as lunch. During the week, we tend to get home late and eat quickie suppers, and I usually only cook once on weekdays, then once on the weekend. We put together other foods, though. Like the salads. Or Monday I cooked my boyfriend and daughter Manwich on buns, and made my salad while it cooked. One night I ate some sausage links with it. Last night we ate Mexican in a restaurant. I did good! No chips, and it wasn't even beckoning me. I ate carne asada (like fajita meat), some grilled bell pepper, a few strips of grilled onion, a taste of pico de gallo and a blob of guacamole.

Snacks: Different story. I haven't really wanted any. I will eat a cheese stick or couple bites of some summer sausage. As far as sweet? I took a tub of sugar-free Cool Whip and mixed in a little chocolate powder and froze it. Last few nights, I plop a couple tablespoons of this in a bowl and eat it like ice cream. I thought it would be terrible, me, who is fearful of the sugar-free variety of anything. It's not! It's tasty. Hits the "sweet" spot. Tonight, I'm going to make up a batch of cinnamon pork skins to crunch on. I'm having a crunch craving.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriLeah View Post
Snacks: Different story. I haven't really wanted any. I will eat a cheese stick or couple bites of some summer sausage. As far as sweet? I took a tub of sugar-free Cool Whip and mixed in a little chocolate powder and froze it. Last few nights, I plop a couple tablespoons of this in a bowl and eat it like ice cream. I thought it would be terrible, me, who is fearful of the sugar-free variety of anything. It's not! It's tasty. Hits the "sweet" spot. Tonight, I'm going to make up a batch of cinnamon pork skins to crunch on. I'm having a crunch craving.
Depending how strict you are being about Induction, you may want to be mindful about things like sugar-free Cool Whip and cocoa powder.
Sugar-Free Cool Whip contains corn syrup & aspartame as well as a host of other un-pronounceable ingredients. You might want to consider making your own whipped cream with heavy whipping cream & Splenda ( Induction friendly ingredients ). As for cocoa powder, technically, cocoa comes from a bean and is in the legume family. That being said, on Atkins OWL, cocoa powder should not be added until Rung 6 of the carb ladder. There is some contraversy on this if you research different Atkins & low carb sites, some feel cocoa is a "spice" and feel unsweetened cocoa can be used during Induction. My personal feeling is, if Dr. Atkins didn't specifically include it on the acceptable foods list for Induction....its not allowed.
As trivial as it may seem, these are things that can stall your progress.
All the best to you!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #7  

Thanks, JerseyGirl! I didn't think about it like that. I'll stick with my cinnamon pork rinds then. I made these tonight and they're not bad! I used half a teaspoon of the cocoa in the whole tub, so not terrible, but I'll watch for any lack of loss that could point in that direction!
Old 05-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #8  
Larry's Angel

This is an Induction friendly recipe for "ice cream"
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/scream_for_icecream.html

Old 05-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #9  

That looks tasty, Jersey! For Mother's Day I made mini cheesecakes-- cream cheese, 1 egg, splenda, vanilla and added lemon and orange extract. Just a few drops of each. Sprinkled them with cinnamon after they baked. OMG. They are good hot AND cold, for sure. My 5 year old loved them! My mom too, who is diabetic. They were a hit.

I am down TEN pounds since starting last Monday and weighing in this morning! Yahh!!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #10  
13 pds in 7 days!

S/C/G: 228/215/145

Height: 5'5" WOE Atkins

Deviled eggs or egg salad are staples for me.
I use sour cream as a topping as I love taco flavored meats
I love making chicken salad too! It seems I am eating loads of mayo! lol

I also love jalapeno poppers!
franciejones is offline   Reply With Quote