Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #1  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Default Everything You Need to Know About Hula Hoopin

Welcome to hooping! I wanted to start a thread with all the informative and pep-talkiness for hula hooping. You may just want to learn how to hula hoop but if you are ready for more moves, welcome!

Have you ever thought you couldn't hula hoop? Can't hula hoop anymore? Think that no more! Most likely your issue with hula hooping isn't you, it's the hoop! Most children hoops are flimsy and way too light for your body. And there is a slight technique for you to learn to properly learn how to hula hoop. Most people should start with a heavier hoop (160 PSI or "fitness") that is between their waist and chest. If you are more round, you may need a larger hoop. I've been hooping for two years and I still prefer a heavy 44" hoop. Most of my fluffy friends use a 44"-46" heavy hoop. A good hoop should have at least one grip tape like gaffer or duct tape. After you have your hoop, now it's time to waist hoop!

Waist hooping is a basic forward-backward rocking motion (or side to side). You will want to have your neutral pelvis, shoulders back, one foot forward and legs shoulder width apart. You'll want to start the hoop on the small of your back and push it to start. There is no need to "wind up" with your body. Merely push the hoop. Start your rocking motion. When you feel the hoop hit your stomach, push forward. When it's on your back, push back. You'll realize that each hoop has a special timing. This will take time to build up.
Here is a tutorial I've made on basic waist hooping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJU24J0346Y
There are many other videos on how to start waist hooping if you want to youtube it.

After waist hooping you can learn tricks. There's really no list on how to go to the next move. I learned many advanced moves before I could waist hoop! If you can't waist hoop, try some off body moves to get you familiar with your body. One of the biggest issues with hoopdance is that there is no progression. Please listen to your body!

Keep in mind that you do not have to learn anything in any particular time nor do you ever have to perform a move that hurts your body or otherwise. If you think a move is too "sexy," you don't have to do it! If it hurts you to diagonal hoop, don't do it! Listen to your body! No one is forcing you to be anything other than you!

People progress at different levels. There are moves that are in the beginner level of hoopnotica that I just learned. Yet there are level 3 moves that I learned within the first few months. I'm not an outlier either. I'm not a hoop prodigy. Everyone learns at different levels. I know people that are awesome at isolations but cannot do a palm spin whatsoever. I know people that can do a back roll but can't do a chest roll. Don't be afraid to look at the intermediate or advanced hoop options because your body may be able to do it!

If you have one of those 5+ pound hoops or even a hoop bigger than 2 lbs, may be harder and unsafe! Even if you can waist hoop with it, you most likely will not be able to do hoopdance movements. Most hoops for hoopdance are under 2 pounds and are fantastic for learning. No one needs to spin 5 pounds of girth around their midsection! I know I tend to blanket explain that most people need 160 PSI. I understand some people like 100 PSI. I wouldn't go above 160 PSI. I know in my hooping practice and troubles, 100 PSI was too light. My fat rolls was a shock absorber when I would use a 100 PSI hoop. 160 PSI hoops I could feel. My hoops are currently 44"-55" inches. If you are having problem with a hoop move, try a bigger hoop. It really is easier but it doesn't make it less of a workout! The larger the hoop, the slower the rotation which gives you more time to accurately push the hoop. Some tips for losing weight hooping says that a smaller hoop gives more of a calorie burn but that is inaccurate. A smaller hoop will give you bigger frustrations. Also, you'll have to move faster to perform the move which could be hurting technique therefore hurting your body. I know I keep harping on hoop size but it is essential for safety and enjoyment.

How to start hooping (Expert village). They even reiterate the fact that you need a dance hoop in either 100 PSI or 160 PSI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=1EEgqE9W4k8

Hoop Basics (eHow): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6yLm...9&feature=plcp
Although I find water unnecessary at most times.

You can find many tutorials on youtube for free. Or search for local hoop groups that offer free hoop jams. You don't ever have to pay for anything other than a hoop but for the ones that do want to shell out some bucks, Here are places you to find tutorials that you would have to pay for:
www.hoopinguniversity.com
www.hoopcity.ca/ (Although the forum is free. The classes require a fee. I personally have 4 of these classes)

Here are places that you can buy hoops from:
Hoopnotica (I now have all five DVDs. If you need a larger travel hoop, buy an extra connector and you have a mega large hoop! Two together can be a tandem hoop!): www.hoopnotica.com
BodyHoops: www.bodyhoops.com
TrooHoop (this is my favorite travel hoop): www.troohoops.com
Dube for poi or other things: www.dube.com
Hoopmommas: www.etsy.com/shop/HoopMamas
There are other etsy hooping shops. I just have seen great results from HoopMamas and they are willing to make hoops larger than 42". I do not get any kick backs from any of these links.
Also check out your local hoop maker. You may be able to find hoop jams, hoop classes, hoop makers and more! Local hoop makers may be cheaper.

How to make your own hoop:
http://www.hooping.org/2006/08/how-to-make-a-hula-hoop/
I personally use a heat gun to make hoops and taping can be the hardest thing about making a hoop!

Why should you hula hoop?
I feel like hooping has changed my life. It has made me feel like a dancer, prevented me from blowing up back to my highest weight, has made me crave to be fitter (to be a better hooper), and makes me feel beautiful. It has helped me get over some of my social phobias and otherwise. It's changed my life. I know many people that have lost weight with hooping. One of my friends says that with her bad knee, hula hooping has changed her body and her knee. Of course, your results will vary. According to ACE, hooping is at par with a bootcamp workout.

Remember, you can make a batch of hoops for the whole family! What a fun summer project! This is a great way to get the whole family active. I've had friends borrow my hoops for parties. I go to festivals with a hoop in tow.

Plus size people to hula hoop! I participated in Hooping Idol in 2012 and I made top 10. Fat and all. Here's an article I wrote for hooping.org for plus sized hoopers: http://www.hooping.org/2012/02/for-t...rs-everywhere/

According to peoples on the internet, this video of mine is very inspiring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjVMHfqK52c

There are DVDs for hooping. I think the best one for your money is Vol 1 and 2 of Hoopnotica. It's the first DVD I had and I think the Hoopnotica curriculum is great because of the troubleshooting hints. Vol 2 also has a 20 minute workout on it.

Has this hooping thing started you in another world of flow arts? Great poi lessons for free at this website: www.playpoi.com/

What about bruises?
Yes, hooping can cause bruises. When you are first learning something, your pushes into your powerpoint is not even (that's when the hoop is leaning over to the sides or stuff). This uneven hoop is hitting your body unevenly and when the body hits your body unevenly, it will hit harder in some spots creating bruises. Bruises should not be hooped on! To help encourage your bruises to heal, use arnica lotion and rest. If it's your waist, try another movement. Then there are other bruises caused by a "gentle toss" that misses and busts your lip/eye/whatever. Obviously the same thing applies. Arnica, rest and all that good stuff.
Here is an article from Hooping.org on bruises: http://www.hooping.org/2012/03/hula-...lack-and-blue/

Most hoops are made with irrigation tubing from Lowes or another home improvement store like that.
Hoop Sizing:
Fitness/heavy/beginner hoop weight: 160 PSI 3/4"
Light/dance/intermediate hoop weight: 100 PSI 3/4" OR HDPE tubing
Advanced/light/dance: 100 PSI 3/4" OR 125 PSI 1/2"
Super advanced: Polypro
Lighter hoops are not easier and unadvisable.

What if I cannot stand or have use of my lower body or can't get my body to work like this?
There are things called mini hoops which is two small hoops in a lighter hoop size. This can be operated much like poi which involves geometric shapes, weaves, double isolations and more. These can be fun to help your shoulders and arms tone up. I have heard of people using these when chair bound or otherwise. I'm not a pro on them. They can look beautiful and fun.

And never, ever, ever give up. No matter what anyone says! You can do this and you will look amazing. You will be absolutely unbelievable. You can do this

Happy Hooping!

I hope this thread is alright with the moderators. I wanted a thread for anyone curious on hula hooping to be able to have a good resource. I am a certified hoop instructor (hoopnotica and BodyHoops) but I am also just a person on the internet. Feel free to follow your body and consult your doctor before starting any new exercise program. If parts of this thread look familiar, I copied parts of it from the thread I wrote in the Hula Hoop All-Stars group on Sparkpeople. Why did I make this thread? Because I love hooping, I see the multiple threads on it and I wanted to make sure that there was a good resource for everyone to see (especially when I miss threads on hooping). I love hooping and I never want anyone to cry overtop of hula hoops like I did ever again. Which is why I want to spread the love.

Last edited by Daimere; 04-30-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Fantastic write up! I do have a hoop on order from Stellar Sunshine Hoops and can't wait for it to get here.

Thank you again. Now I just need my bruising from yesterday to heal!!!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #3  
Hooping my Life Away

Thanks! I need to edit to make a comment on bruises!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #4  

Love love love this! I always thought I just sucked at it but it looks like there's a few things I can change to make it work. Gonna seriously look into trying it again! Thanks for the info
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #5  
Hooping my Life Away

Here is a compliation video I made over a the first year or something of my hooping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imU4K...vrbMg&index=16

Here's the first video I posted asking for help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux5Q0...vrbMg&index=38

Look, I can troubleshoot myself now. My error in that video was 1) my hoop was too small 2) I wasn't moving fast enough 3) I wasn't exaggerating my movements. In another video, my hoop was too light for my body and my front push was really strong but my back push was non-existent.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #6  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Thank you for all of this info! I want to give hooping a shot, and you just provided a ton of information on which I was looking for. Thank you thank you!!!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #7  
Hooping my Life Away

Grab your hula hoop and get ready for hooping.org's 30/30 spring fling challenge. Two May's ago, I embarked fresh into my hooping journey to commit to a 30/30. It changed my life and changed my hooping abilities. http://www.hooping.org/2013/05/our-s...030-challenge/
Old 05-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #8  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Thank you soooo much for all of the information! Now I have a starting point.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #9  
Hooping my Life Away

Your welcome everyone! Remember: hooping is exercise in disguise! Eventually I will review all the dvds I have to pinpoint the best DVDs for the bang in your buck.