PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 07:47 AM   #1  

Default Got some new questions..

I'm sure this is going to sound crazy, but this is just an observation from having started Yasmin, and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it. It may be a good thing, if I timed things right, which lately with my busy schedule, I haven't.

A couple hours after I eat, I can't sit still! And if I eat anywhere near bedtime, my goose is kinda cooked, because I can't sleep.
I'm wondering if maybe, by taking yasmin, that it is evening out my hormones, which is possibly making my body, for once in my life, use my food as energy, instead of transforming it straight to fat and sugars? I'm still REALLY new at all of this stuff, but I am noticing that my body is reacting very different to food now than it did. I'm sleepy as all get out right now, and it's 6:25 in the morning, and have been trying to sleep all night, and finally had to get out of bed and do something. I've got laundry going and dishes in the dishwasher, and that is unheard of for me at this time in the morning. Usually when I eat, I get sleepy, and want to nap, or just go to bed...good heavens not anymore!

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not saying this is a bad thing...not at all...I jsut need to learn when the proper times to eat are, and restrict myself to not eat past a certain time. REally that is jsut common sense, as it's not good to sleep on a full stomach...been told that all my life....but that is the first thing I've always wanted to do after eatting....SLEEP.....almost to the point of not being able to function at work after lunch....but now...I can't help but have energy to burn, and I almost don't know what to do with it! LOL!!

Has anyone else dealt with this? I think I am one of the few here who is not on gluc or met.....just Yasmin. I went to the doctor the other day, and had blood work done...but it was like pulling teeth to get the doctor to do it! No results yet. Hopefully today.

I am trying to do the Adkins Diet as my doctor instructed...my best friend has been on it, and is full fledge diabetic, and has lost over 100 pounds....and is doing great. She is becoming a great support, in understanding how all of this stuff works.

Can someone's blood work come out where they don't have PCOS, but yet after ultrasound show they do? She is 280 lbs now, and she is not getting her periods at all and is desperately trying to get pregnant, but is not ovulating. She has clomid ready and waiting, but can't start it, because they can't get her period to start. I told her that she needs to have the doc do an internal ultrasound, so see if maybe there are some blockages in her tubes of something, because her hormones come out fine in the blood work. What you you guys think?

(I'm sorry for hoping around....LOL! Got alot of things going through my head this morning)
Old 05-30-2003, 12:34 PM   #2  

Im not sure about any of that but Ill bump up your post.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:29 AM   #3  

Default Hey

Hey Autumn,
Are you from Joplin by chance?
Old 05-31-2003, 02:17 PM   #4  

Hi Nikki

Nope Im from michigan but I do know where Joplin is though my family is from missouri, they are from portageville, cape girardeau, st louis and barnhart.

what town are you from?

Sorry about how the yasmin is acting, I took it for about six months in 2001, it didnt work for me, Im a cyster without high estrogen and since I didnt get it from the bcp I never had af pay a visit with them, Just spotting. Ortho tri cyclen worked great for awhile but I believe the bcp made my insulin worse.

Last edited by Autumn S; 05-31-2003 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:37 PM   #5  

Default Hi Autumn

I'm actually from Joplin Mo, but I live in a neighboring city-Carthage, Mo. The reason I was asking where you were from is because a gal named Autumn from Joplin was the first person I knew-5 yrs ago-to be diagnosed with PCOS, and her treatment results gave me hope that it might help me too. Haven't seen her in several years though.

I got my blood tests back yesturday, and the DR said that everything came back normal......so I'm having them transfered to my gyno, so he can have a look at them. I'm wondering if maybe I'm having a blood pressure problem, and maybe that is what is causing the migraines and not being able to sleep and such.

My gyno's office has asked me to bring my research with me to my next appointment here in a couple weeks......(which shocked me) so I'm using some of the links that have been provided here to gather this info...so he can see it. He doesn't do anything for PCOS patients that have insulin resistance....and wasn't aware there was a treatment available. I was like....WHAT?! I told them about the use of Met.....and that there has been a great deal of success with it. And if it's my blood pressure that is doing this.....which is all a part of PCOS and IR.....then hopefully he will see it in the research and finally help me.

I finally feel hopeful that he is interested to check out this research. I was starting to be very discouraged about the fact that he didn't do anything but give me yasmin and shoo me to the door. I was thinking....ok, if I have PCOS and part of that involves IR and high blood pressure....shouldn't we go that route and see what we find? SO I'm pushing the issue....and hoping for the best. I don't want to find things wrong with me....but I know when my body is not right....and it's not....and sometimes getting these male DR's to take things seriously, takes a push I guess!
Old 06-06-2003, 10:31 AM   #6  

When I first started Yasmin, I noticed some restlessness, but I had also started exercising and eating a little differently at that time so I attributed my restlessness to that, rather than Yasmin. After being on Yasmin and eating this way for a year now, my body has adjusted and I feel totally normal now.

>>but that is the first thing I've always wanted to do after eatting....SLEEP.....almost to the point of not being able to function at work after lunch....but now...I can't help but have energy to burn, and I almost don't know what to do with it! LOL!!

This sounds like what happens when you start eating complex carbs instead of simple carbs. Since you say you are doing Atkins, I would assume that this is the cause of the change, not Yasmin. Atkins doesn't allow you to eat simple carbs and forces you to eat more protein and complex carbs instead. Complex carbs give you sustained energy and keep your blood sugar and insulin levels normal. This, in turn, give you lots more energy.

>>>Can someone's blood work come out where they don't have PCOS, but yet after ultrasound show they do? She is 280 lbs now, and she is not getting her periods at all and is desperately trying to get pregnant, but is not ovulating. She has clomid ready and waiting, but can't start it, because they can't get her period to start. I told her that she needs to have the doc do an internal ultrasound, so see if maybe there are some blockages in her tubes of something, because her hormones come out fine in the blood work. What you you guys think?

Because PCOS is a syndrome, doctors will go down a list of symptoms and decide, based on how many you exhibit, whether or not you have PCOS. Everyone expresses the disorder in a different way. Did your friend have any of the other symptoms (hair growth, darkened areas of skin, abnormal insulin levels, etc.) of PCOS?
Old 06-06-2003, 10:33 AM   #7  

BTW, once your body get used to not having simple carbs try this little experiement. Eat a bowl of mashed potatoes and watch what happens. You'll have one of those "AHA" moments about insulin and blood sugar.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:43 PM   #8  

If your doctor isnt very knowledgable about glucophage for treatment with pcos I would think of switching to an endocrinologist or a reproductive endocrinologist. You could turn diabetic or possibly have arterial damage due to high insulin. Mine was 120 fasting before glucophage, it was suppose to be only 10. But with 2000mgs it straightened itself out.

Glucophage has some nasty side effects of tummy troubles. I suffered with mine for nine months before they went away. If they get to difficult for you, you can take actos or another insulin senstizing medication that sometimes dont have the same problem with the side effects. I dont follow low carb at all,how my doctor explained it was that with the meds I didnt have too to lose weight and she was right once my insulin got better the weight started to come off with regular dieting.

Good Luck

btw- Joplin is a nice area, I stopped there before and checked out the precious moments church,the church was simply gorgeous

Have your thyroid checked out too, Hypothyroidism is very similar to pcos on how the body reacts.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:05 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman
Because PCOS is a syndrome, doctors will go down a list of symptoms and decide, based on how many you exhibit, whether or not you have PCOS. Everyone expresses the disorder in a different way. Did your friend have any of the other symptoms (hair growth, darkened areas of skin, abnormal insulin levels, etc.) of PCOS? [/B]
She doesn't have extreme hair growth like I do, but yes she does have that and darkened skin, skin tags, no periods, and she was diagnosed with full blown diabetes last year and is now insulin dependant.

Autumn, my blood sugar was 119 after the fasting test. They said I was in normal range. Is that too high for having fasted?
Old 06-08-2003, 12:48 PM   #10  

Blood sugar testing is completely different than testing for insulin resistance. Gynos and regular docs usually dont have a clue, you need an insulin fasting level. It is suppose to be 10 to 15. Mine was 120 originally (over 10 times higher). Blood sugar will only test you for diabetes, not insulin resistance.

119 is borderline for diabetes though, 125 is considered diabetic. I am sure you probably have some level of insulin resistance, I would try and catch it before it turns into diabetes.
Closed Thread