Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #1  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Height: 5'4"

Default All the things that count as exercise!

Ok, hope a few of you would like to help me out here I have tried various kinds of exercise, and much like finding the right career, if you want something you love, not something you dread, you gotta experiment a bit! I'm seeing loads of people getting discouraged because they haven't found THEIR exercise-that-doesn't-feel-like-exercise yet. So, I thought we could make a list of Every Single Thing that counts as exercise, to inspire anyone who wants a change, or is just starting out? Join in if you're up for it!

Ice Skating <3
Yoga
Hillwalking
Rock Climbing
Badminton
Boxing
Zumba
Swing Dancing
Roller Derby
Walking
Snowboarding
Tai Chi

What else you folks got?
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Argh. I hate the way that most people, especially Americans, have to do something purely for the sake of it to call it "exercise". Integrate people!

Walk to work. Mow the lawn. Clean the house.

It's all exercise and, better yet, you achieve something tangible out of doing it other than just weight loss/staying fit!

I refuse to exercise for the sake of it!

Rant over.

Last edited by IanG; 04-11-2013 at 09:53 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I agree with IanG - we spent most of our history just "doing" things to exercise.

So, with that GARDENING!!! Landscaping... cleaning the garage, painting the house, etc.

Last summer I didn't go to the gym - no weights, no cardio. I took walks around the lake and area, rode my bike to the grocery store and I worked a TON on my yard. I went from 165 to 170. So, I did gain a bit of weight, but not much.

We then went on a month long vacation in Croatia. We walked, swam, hiked and ATE. I gained up to about where I am now, but... when I started back up at the gym? I was just as strong as before and even stronger in my arms/upper body. Jumped right back into cardio too.

I had taken a break from FORMAL exercise, but I had never stopped exercising. I was just doing more functional exercise which is what I plan to incorporate more and more into my life.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #4  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

We bought a house in the last year. Pretty soon after a friend commented once you buy a house, you can cancel the gym membership. I was SO naive about how much physical labor would be involved. It is so true, our house IS our gym now. (...Currently repainting the picket fence, yikes. Power-washed and stained the deck and shed last summer - taking it slowly as I needed to with physical limitations (plus weather), which made it take a whole month. )

As part-and-parcel of the whole home thing, I find myself wandering into Lowe's, Marshall's, etc "just to look" a lot more often. I felt guilty about this for awhile because it seemed like such a waste of time and precious energy, but I realized that all that walking around IS actually exercise, it DOES count, and I don't need to feel bad at all! I'm actually multi-tasking!
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Cleaning house, gardening, cleaning up after dogs/chickens/birds/sugar gliders.

Grocery shopping

Zumba

And so much more!!!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #6  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Am I just really tired, or did I p*** people off with this thread?!

the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #7  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

I'll go with golf... That is if you walk the course....

And for any other fellow big city dwellers out there... Get off the subway a few stops early and walk the rest of the way... or get out of the cab 10 blocks from where you need to be and hoof it the rest of the way (especially good tactic during rush hour or pre theatre... saves a few bucks)

At work take the stairs... and just because you might work in a 40 story office building doesn't mean you can't take 5 flights here or 10 flights there... It all adds up...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #8  

I love to swim! Sure that could be boring in a gym's pool, but there is nothing better than hitting up the river or a lake with some friends on a hot summer day.
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #9  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Walking the dog!

Pilates
Swimming
Yoga
Wii fit
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Interesting topic! Why did you think you pissed people off? I recently finished a book called American Idle that addresses the strange sequestration of "exercise" in the U.S., it was pretty interesting. I think it's because you can sell a gym membership, but you can't sell a walk.

My favorite forms of physical activity are....
Gardening
Riding bikes
Cleaning (ok, not my favorite, but I like that it leaves you an immediately tangible result)
I park in the back of the lot at the grocery store
Certain nocturnal activities involving my fiance, haha!
Dancing around the living room with my kids while listening to the Madagascar soundtrack (my personal fav.)

A prof. of mine conducted research in this area and I wanted to share this article he's in. I thought you guys might find if interesting. The headline is...Taking stairs, raking leaves may equal a trip to the gym (love it!)

http://health.oregonstate.edu/synerg...ip-to-the-gym/
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #11  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecomtes View Post
Interesting topic! Why did you think you pissed people off? I recently finished a book called American Idle that addresses the strange sequestration of "exercise" in the U.S., it was pretty interesting. I think it's because you can sell a gym membership, but you can't sell a walk.

My favorite forms of physical activity are....
Gardening
Riding bikes
Cleaning (ok, not my favorite, but I like that it leaves you an immediately tangible result)
I park in the back of the lot at the grocery store
Certain nocturnal activities involving my fiance, haha!
Dancing around the living room with my kids while listening to the Madagascar soundtrack (my personal fav.)

A prof. of mine conducted research in this area and I wanted to share this article he's in. I thought you guys might find if interesting. The headline is...Taking stairs, raking leaves may equal a trip to the gym (love it!)

http://health.oregonstate.edu/synerg...ip-to-the-gym/
Thanks for sharing this... I recently saw something similar... and the researcher that they were talking with was saying that people who were more "active" throughout the course of their day might actually be getting more benefit than someone who sat at a desk all day but went to the gym after work and did a really hard 1hr workout...

It really has me thinking that "activity" monitors like the Nike FuelBand and FitBit and things like that are really going to start taking off... sorry to go off topic...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by the shiv View Post
Am I just really tired, or did I p*** people off with this thread?!

I thought they were agreeing with you...find fun active things and add them into your life to be healthier.

I just added boxing to my repetoire. It is insanely fun, and a kick-butt of a workout.

ETA: Sorry, didn't realize that was a blocked word

Last edited by MonteCristo; 04-12-2013 at 12:14 PM.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 132/116.6/114

Height: 5'2"

House cleaning/vacuuming/mopping counts for sure
Gardening/yardwork
Hey I even count the long walking distances I do when I go 'fun' shopping!!
Washing the car
Dancing
Precious Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #14  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Rough-housing with your kids (my kids love this)
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #15  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Oooh, gotta watch that rough-housing. I've hurt my neck with that.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote