Old 04-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 177.6/165.4/140

Height: 5'5''

Unhappy Dreaded Hair Loss

Well it has been going on for almost two weeks now and I can honestly say I am shedding! I normally lose a lot of hair but this is WAY more than normal. I am trying to go with the flow and not get all freaked out about it but AAAGGGHHH. I have been taking biotin and Omegas and Evening Primrose since the beginning. Was SO hoping I could be one of the lucky ones and NOT have to deal with this!
DJ72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #2  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

I hear ya. I was hoping to miss this too, but mine's coming out a lot more than usual the last few weeks too. I just keep thinking this is temporary, and it will come back. It won't last forever, and it's much more important to be at healthy weight. I too have been on biotin since the beginning.
crazynette826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #3  

Crazynette.... That is what I am holding on to as well! Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 289 / see tracker / 160

Height: 5'7"

me too! the last couple of weeks it is coming out alot
not sure if I should cut my hair shorter until it starts coming back its one length past my shoulders argghhh
itzconni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #5  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

When I went to my hairdresser last night I asked her to take a careful look at my hair, she said she has noticed the last few times it seemed thinner... she usually has to thin my hair out 3-4 times because I have so much of it but she has only done it a little lately.

She said even though I am losing it, it doesn't seem like it's making a difference yet. she said she will help me keep an eye on it because i have been losing it for 2+ months now.
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #6  
Started IP 12-26-2012

I have had a lot of hair loss, even prior to IP because of other health issues. I am taking zinc and biotin now, and the loss has slowed, and the last time I went to my hairdresser, she said she saw itty bitty new growth. I highly suggest the supplements.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #7  
IP start: 21 October 2012

S/C/G: 190.6/135.4/140

Height: 5'6"

In addition to the biotin (5000 mcg/day) and omega 3-6-9, my hair dresser recommended vitamin D3. I take 2000 mcg twice daily. So, have been on biotin and omega for ~2.5 months, and added vit D ~5 weeks ago. I had my hair colored/trimmed a couple days ago and she said it's definitely looking better, and I'm noticing that I'm not losing anywhere as much hair as I was 1-2 months ago. Important to note that my weight loss slowed down to 1-2 lbs/week in the last couple months as I reached a healthy weight/BMI and got closer to goal.....so this was also likely a factor in the overall improvement.
pocahontas812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #8  

I am already taking so many supplements. AAAGGGHHH I seriously think my pills fill me up as much as my meals. Lol.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #9  

S/C/G: IP 140/115/115

Height: 5'1"

Hi,

I was told that scientificly we shed hair when we are losing fat, the
hair in the end of the follicle in our head sits in a pulp which feeds our
hair nutrients and has fat there too, so when we are losing weight things
get alittle imbalanced where our hair feeds so then we tend to shed.

It will grow back when our bodies are more balanced. We do need
some fat in our bodies for other parts to function properly. Hair, TOM, skin moisture etc.
Ok I know this isnt a super good explanation, but hope it helps!
hang in there!!
Stay OP, take your supplements!

D
DRegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRegan View Post
Hi,

I was told that scientificly we shed hair when we are losing fat, the
hair in the end of the follicle in our head sits in a pulp which feeds our
hair nutrients and has fat there too, so when we are losing weight things
get alittle imbalanced where our hair feeds so then we tend to shed.

It will grow back when our bodies are more balanced. We do need
some fat in our bodies for other parts to function properly. Hair, TOM, skin moisture etc.
Ok I know this isnt a super good explanation, but hope it helps!
hang in there!!
Stay OP, take your supplements!
It would be so nice if we could just live off the stored fat w/o needing to add any dietary fat. IP has definitely minimized it but we DO need the daily fat on the plan.
Thanks for your great explanation. I've seen many but yours is very clear!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #11  
Started IP 12-26-2012

There is another reason for losing hair on this diet.

About three months after a very traumatic situation in the body (especially in women) hair loss can happen.

I had it happen when I became sick with diabetes and it was undiagnosed for a while. I also had it happen again when I tore a couple ligaments in my shoulder.

From everything I've read, the hair loss with IP seems to start about 3 months in. The body is in a type of shock from the diet.

I have not (knock on wood) had hair loss from IP, but I'm taking all those supplements (including omega, which I didn't even think about because I've been on that for years).
Old 04-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
There is another reason for losing hair on this diet.

About three months after a very traumatic situation in the body (especially in women) hair loss can happen.

I had it happen when I became sick with diabetes and it was undiagnosed for a while. I also had it happen again when I tore a couple ligaments in my shoulder.

From everything I've read, the hair loss with IP seems to start about 3 months in. The body is in a type of shock from the diet.

I have not (knock on wood) had hair loss from IP, but I'm taking all those supplements (including omega, which I didn't even think about because I've been on that for years).
Interesting because it has been about three months for me!
I am in shock that I have lost this much....hee hee!
Thanks for sharing this. I feel a little better now.
I have only lost an average of 2 lbs per week and then took a week off IP for holiday. I did phase off first with no gain...actually lost another pound. Been back on IP this week and doing great. Hair loss started while I was on holidays. Ponytails don't help either because you hold all the normal hair loss in and then when you take it out it is like AAACK! LOL
Old 04-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #13  
started IP 03/18/13

S/C/G: 233/174/180

Height: 6'

Oh why did I see this thread.. Really is this common?, something to look forward to in 3 months?
I know it will grow back but it scares me to have my hair fall out ( I have thick hair so hopefully I'll be ok but still!!)

ok off to go stock up on D3 (already take EPO)
cdnmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #14  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ72 View Post
Interesting because it has been about three months for me!
I am in shock that I have lost this much....hee hee!
Thanks for sharing this. I feel a little better now.
I have only lost an average of 2 lbs per week and then took a week off IP for holiday. I did phase off first with no gain...actually lost another pound. Been back on IP this week and doing great. Hair loss started while I was on holidays. Ponytails don't help either because you hold all the normal hair loss in and then when you take it out it is like AAACK! LOL
My massive hair loss was last summer while on vacation. This is when I did the research into it, because there was no REASON I should have been losing. After showering and brushing, the brush would be full of hair. I could squeeze out my hair and come away with a handful of strands. I cried it was so devastating to me... I've not got a good haircut to "hide" it and knowing it's coming back helps a lot...though it's slow.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #15  

I booked a physical with my Dr but cannot get in until June. I am due for a complete. I had borderiline hypothyroid a few years back but not really enough to treat with meds. I hope this isn't going to be an issue because I have been having hot flashes these past few weeks too. At first I just thought that it was the heat in Jamaica but no such luck. I should start a thread to see if anybody else has experienced this. I might be going for bloodwork earlier than June! Btw...I am a RN so I obscess about stuff!