Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-08-2013, 02:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/177/125

Height: 5"5

Default How Do You Take Your Measurements?

So, in the beginning I was quite confused as to the difference between taking your "waist" vs. your "hips" measurements.

But now I get the steps of wrapping the measuring tape around your belly button and back basically.. If that is right?

The confusing thing for me now is how to measure your Hips. I used to think it was around the hip bones, but most sites say to measure around the thickest part of your legs, but wouldn't that be your thighs?

To double-check I am understanding this correctly, do you go below your hip bones and find the widest width of your legs and wrap it around there?
Alicia546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

If the purpose is to track your weight loss, I don't think it really matters as long as you find consistent places that you can replicate for future measurements. That's what I do - not sure if I am really measuring my proper "waist" or "hips" but as long as I am getting the tape measure back in teh same place so I can see the rate of shrinkage of that area - that is all that matters to em.

If this is for purposes of determining a size to buy clothing in - I guess it does matter! And I am sure there are other reasons it may matter and I don't blame you for wanting to do it right!

I, sadly, am of no help though - because I have no idea how to do it right.
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #3  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia546 View Post
The confusing thing for me now is how to measure your Hips. I used to think it was around the hip bones, but most sites say to measure around the thickest part of your legs, but wouldn't that be your thighs?
I've seen this recommendation also and don't understand it. I think it might depend on how you're shaped. I know I've seen at least one person mention on this forum that she measures her hips this way. I dunno. I measure at my hip bones.

And as mandypandy2246 said, the most important thing when tracking for inches lost is to take your measurements consistently in the same places.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #4  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

It was important for me to be consistent in measuring so I took a full length 8x10 picture of myself, printed it out and drew lines where I measure and refer to it each item I measure myself. It helped me a great deal and stopped the guessing work of trying to remember where I measured the previous time.
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #5  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide99 View Post
It was important for me to be consistent in measuring so I took a full length 8x10 picture of myself, printed it out and drew lines where I measure and refer to it each item I measure myself. It helped me a great deal and stopped the guessing work of trying to remember where I measured the previous time.
Great idea!
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #6  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Great idea!! I was just thinking about doing something like this last night as I was trying to measure myself. I couldn't remember where I measured the last time... Going to do this for sure now.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/177/125

Height: 5"5

I agree with the others, measuring a picture is very creative!

I guess if I just need to be consistent when tracking weight loss, then even measuring my muffin top would be a good place to use lol.

Yeah I would like to have my measurements for clothing sizes, but since I plan on them changing anyways, then I don't need them constantly. Also, my waist is the most important spot for me to lose weight after all.

Last edited by Alicia546; 04-08-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Alicia546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 212.6/Ticker/137

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
That's a great idea!!!
dehtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #9  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

Glad I could help! It was so frustrating having inconsistent numbers and being so tall I have more area to cover. haha!

(ChickieBoom! Wow you look great!!! Keep it up!)
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote