Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 04-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8.5"

Default Anyone had breast reduction surgery?

I searched and could not find this anywhere so hope I am in the right place.

Just wondering if anyone has had breast reduction surgery and what their experience was like... the healing process, etc.

I'm scheduled for it later this month and just wanting to learn all I can about it and also possibly find someone else who has experienced it to share with.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #2  

Hi Misti!! I have not had the surgery but just wanted to say yay!!! to you that you have your date set. I know you've been waiting to get this done.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Being an A cup it's never been an issue for me, but my sister had this done. Like all surgery, it will be exhausting to deal with incisions and recovery, but it is amazing to see her be able to do such simple things like run and jump without spine curving anymore. I've honestly never heard a regret from any woman who has done this, it really is a quality of life issue for most. Good luck!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #4  

Thanks elvislover!!

And you too, Sacha! Yes, I have heard good reports too. My doctor said I will feel like I am floating on air ha. And I do have one of the top surgeons in the USA (!!) plus my friend who is a retired nurse will be staying with me the first two nights, and then friends for a couple more nights after that. No hospital, since the surgeon has his own surgical clinic!!

And Sacha, yes it is causing spinal, neck and shoulder damage for me; because of that they were able to get my insurance to cover it.

I can't WAIT!!!

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #5  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

I'm so glad to hear you have a surgery date! I am the only woman in the US who is happy with her breast size :-), but every woman I know who has had a reduction has been thrilled with the results! Best of luck to you!
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #6  

Thanks, Beth. You are indeed fortunate LOL. It would really not take all that much for me to be content with my size though... I'll be happy with being to stand up straight, no massive constant back pain, and hopefully the disappearance of some of the extremely deep grooves in my shoulders... and being able to buy blouses that fit!

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 04-06-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #7  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Misti--
I looked into surgery last year for similar reasons as what you've stated. The ONLY reason I postponed my surgery is because we decided to try for another baby this year.
After I'm done having babies (and breast feeding), I will schedule a reduction surgery ASAP.

(I'm currently a 36 GGG, I go up to an I cup when bf'ing)

Last edited by Mozzy; 04-06-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #8  
banned

Height: 5'3

God no! They're small enough already!
Silver Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #9  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 229/ticker/129

Height: 5'4

I had it done when I was 16, I was a G cup at the time and it was causing serious back problems. I honestly wish I would have waited, I wasn't done growing at the time and ended up getting back up to a DDD (from a C post surgery) before I even started to gain weight. I also got a lift down along with the reduction (I'm pretty sure that's standard now) and that helped honestly just as much as the reduction did. Post surgery sucked for about the first five days, I had drainage tubes that had to to be taken care of for the first week, and couldn't wash on my own hair because I couldn't bend. After the tubes came out everything was essentially back to normal except I couldn't take a standard shower because I had dissolving stitches that couldn't get wet. After that first week I was able to do everything that I did before hand without a problem, and having smaller breasts (for the time that they lasted) honestly gave me a lot more confidence than I had previously and my back felt a million times better. If mine don't shrink this time around due to weight loss then I'll probably look into having it done again, even with how much the first couple of days sucked, it really is worth it in the end.
Katie816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #10  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Sorry, no. I just got a better bra and 90% of my pain issues went away. A super tight band and properly supportive cup helped so, so much.

Good luck with your surgery, Misti!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #11  

Thanks everyone. Arctic Mama, LOL I am waaaaayyy beyond what a "better bra" will help. I've actually been told if I don't do it I will end up being disabled and unable to walk, and I don't doubt that from my experience now.

Katie, yes, I have read that it is definitely wise to make sure someone is fully developed (and not a teenager) when it is done. How awful for you that they grew back!

I am not sure what a lift down is. I have to have the more extensive type of surgery because I am so extreme, which involves a lot of reconstruction.

Yes, the first few days kind of scare me... the only surgery I have ever had was half of my thyroid removed, and I flew right through that without even any pain; just some discomfort and limitations.

I will have the drains too (I read that some surgeons don't do it now but mine does) but I will be able to shower as soon as I am able.

I really have no idea what to expect but it is going to be worth a bit of discomfort to get rid of these things!!!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #12  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 229/ticker/129

Height: 5'4

Sorry I meant to say done, not down. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmet...east-lift.html That site briefly explains what it, the surgeon I had at the time said he never did a reduction without a lift and that it was becoming more and more common to do them together.

While it was unfortunate that they grew back and I would have rather waited a couple of more years there wasn't much else that could have been done at the time. I had numerous specialty fittings and tried every bra I could find and nothing seemed to help, this was a last resort kind of thing. I remember when we were trying to get insurance to cover the surgery (I had horrible insurance at the time) the doctor had to take x-rays and do a couple of other tests and he told me my back looked like some of his patients that were in their 40's.

Good luck with your surgery, I'm sure you'll do fine!
Katie816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #13  
TX Fat Chick

S/C/G: 258/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

I had reduction about 10 years ago. Best thing I ever did. I was sore and needed help getting out of bed or off the couch the first couple of days because lifting with your abdominal muscles pulls on your chest.

Otherwise, I was back to work in a week, but took it easy with lifting and that sort of thing for about a month.

You can't see any scars either unless you are very close up.

Good luck...... I think you'll be happy.

It felt like I could take a deep breath for the first time in years!
melissakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:56 AM   #14  

Thanks, Katie and Melissa

Katie, yes, it definitely sounds like for you it was necessary! My doctor said they could take X-rays if necessary to prove it but my insurance did not require it. Before we submitted it my surgeon said he knew they would require me to go to a chiropractor and/or physical therapist for 6 months so I am doing the chiro... which helps tremendously with the pain.. and also did some PT AND joined LA Fitness and work out in the pool.

Melissa, thanks for sharing your experience too. My bed is high and couch low so I am renting a lift recliner. And my surgeon is saying at least two weeks off work and then probably go back part time. But that is fine with me since after the first week I have insurance to cover 80% of my salary. Interesting about the scarring... I thought it might be pretty bad.

LOL about the lift; no wonder I didn't "get it." I have to have the more extensive surgery (since my case is so extreme) where they pretty much have to do total reconstruction instead of just removing some tissue. The good side to that is that I can pretty much pick what size I want to be.

I am super confident in my surgeon (as well as my doctor and chiro) but admit to being a bit nervous about the recovery process. But I'll get through it! And I too look forward to being able to take a deep breath! And not have to lug these things around. My doctor told me "You're going to feel like you are floating on air!"

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 04-07-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:41 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 208/133/120

Height: 5'1"

Hi Misti,

If you haven't already, check out the BreastHealthOnline forum. I don't know what I would have done without the advice/support I got there after my surgery.

I'm so happy for you!

I had breast reduction surgery before I reached my goal weight, and I'm so happy I didn't wait--it gave me the motivation to keep losing. It's amazing to have less back pain and be able to buy *button-down* shirts! I was a 36I and am now a 34DD almost a year later. Seriously the best decision I ever made.

It was painful for a little while but so worth it. Please let me know if you have any questions I might be able to answer. And good luck!

Last edited by LucyRic; 04-12-2013 at 04:41 AM.
LucyRic is offline   Reply With Quote