Old 04-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #1  
Started IP 2/8/2013

S/C/G: 290/187/110

Height: 5'1"

Default Plain Greek Yogurt?

Is plain greek yogurt allowed on phase 1?My mom made chicken with taco seasoning and I wanted to use plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream to help cut the spiciness.
cmk79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #2  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

It's not on the sheet, so the answer is no. Neither greek yogourt - or sour cream - is allowed on P1.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

Sadly, no.
It is not on the Phase 1 sheet, so it is not on the program.
(Neither is sour cream, but you already knew that.)
You can look forward to having it for Phase 3 breakfast.

Consider mashed cauliflower as a side that might counteract the spiciness.
Or any other Phase 1 vegetable (zucchini, broccoli, etc) that you can either mix in with the chicken or have on the side.

You could also cut up the chicken and put in on lettuce or shredded lettuce for a taco salad effect. You could use whatever Walden Farm product everyone uses for Big Mac in a Bowl. (I'm not a Walden Farm user.)
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo70 View Post
Greek yoghurt when fully fermented should have the vast majority of lactose converted to lactic acid. Most greek yoghurts have indeed a low carb count. I do not know why this is a prohibited item on IP. It makes no sense to me and it is allowed on Atkins.
Atkins and Ideal Protein are two different diets, just because something is allowed on Atkins does not mean it is compatible with IP. As I'm sure others have pointed out in other threads, there is more to the reasoning behind the foods allowed and not allowed than calories and carbs. (
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #5  

Part of the reason I really like IP is that it is clear in what is allowed and what is not. I like Greek yogurt myself, and I used to eat a fair amount of it on WW. I am surprised it is now allowed on Atkins, but it makes no difference to me--I want to follow the protocol that will keep me losing weight, and that is IP.
goldilocksinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

In case you have questions about other dairy products...the only dairy allowed on Phases 1 and 2 are 1 oz of skim milk per day.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #7  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo70 View Post
I would still like to know what exactly the reasoning is behind not allowing Greek yoghurt. Just my personal interest. I prefer to see a scientific reason.
I'm more a curious researcher than scientist, but I suspect it has to do with the fact that dairy products are insulinemic (cause an insulin response in the body) not just because of carbs, but due to leucine content. Leucine is an amino acid that generates insulin reaction AND causes glucagon release to counter the insulin. One of the things Ideal Protein does is reduce the foods that cause insulin responses in the body. Yogurt is a food that happens to fall lower on the glycemic index, but higher on the insulinemic index (yogurt ranks near a Mars candy bar on the insulin index).
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote