General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #1  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Red face IUD's - Men, you may want to skip this one...

Sometimes I really hate bring a girl. This feeling comes around on a monthly basis and I know most of you share my pain! Well, a couple years ago I got an IUD, and for the most part I love it. But I never really know what to expect. One day I will spot (and its really gross spotting too, think brown snot... sorry for that visual) and the next day nothing. Then a few days or even weeks later, more spotting for a few days. Sometimes I get really intense cramps. They are usually short lived and will come and go a few times a day for a day or two. I love not having a full period anymore, its fantastic. I was terrible for taking the pill (had some really really messed up hormones from those damn things)

I don't know many other ladies who have an IUD so I am wondering, all of you who have/had one, do you like it? would you get it again? Have you had any issues.

I hear horror stories sometimes... and I am terrified of getting it removed lol.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/166/145

Height: 5'4"

Is it a mirena or a para-guard? I've had both. Currently I have a mirena and I really like it. I had spotting issues and some other weird symptoms for the first few months (incredibly sore nipples being the worst-- so sore clothes hurt!), but since then nothing. I just try to ignore the commercials about how terrible they are asking me to join the lawsuit!
Jennifer1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/start IP 159.8/134.8/130

Height: 5'3"

I have had the mirena for a year. Weird issues at first but fine since 6 months in. I do ,however, still get a normal monthly TOM which I was hoping I wouldn't. My best friend is on her 2nd mirena and spots here and there but never gets a period. I just like not having to think of BC , 2 kids and I am happily done!
Happymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #4  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Yeah I have the Mirena, the first 6 months were really strange for me too. I think that whole time I spotted! I think I have a year left of it though. One friend told me hers lasted for 4 years, not the 5.

Lawsuits? Really? I don't have TV and I am in Canada, not quite as many lawsuits up here
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #5  

Here's a link to lawsuits in my state. http://www.ohiomirenalawsuit.com/
Don't read if you're easily freaked out. My intention is not to scare, but show how litigious people are in the states. All drugs have side effects and possible terrible consequences. I love the ease and reliability of my IUD, and will risk the effects to not become pregnant at 46!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #6  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

I had paragard for years. I loved it until it mysteriously and secretly came out. I'd get one again, but I'd make them leave the strings longer to make checking it easier.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 160:(/see ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I used para guard a few years ago, but I had to take it out because my TOM became extremely long and painfull... I switch to pills which didn't give me any problems for about 2 years till they switch my brand

My SIL had Mirena and she loved it. Spotting during the 1st few months and then just normal...
CIELOARGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #8  

I had the Mirena for all of 2 months last year. Perhaps I should have kept it longer, knowing the side effects lessen for the most part, but I couldn't tolerate it any more.

I'd had a baby in November, then when my period came back exactly 6 weeks later I went on the pill. Holy moly, I was a trainwreck. I could not take it. I'd never so seriously considered getting a divorce in my life. And I spotted all the time (I think I spotted from the moment I had the baby until I stopped the pill, which was about 4 months of having to wear pads or pantiliners every single day.)

So I went right from the pill to the Mirena. The insertion wasn't bad, I had some cramping as expected for the next day. But the spotting kept on, and my mood showed little improvement. I had acne and dandruff. I couldn't lose weight at all, even when I really tried. That was the final straw for me. I know they say the hormones stay in the uterus and can't affect anything. Perhaps I am just extremely sensitive to hormones (definitely possible) but I certainly think I was affected. It could also be that my body was just confused with all the hormones...baby, pill, IUD, and I needed a break. I don't know.

I had it taken out as soon as I could, which was less of a hassle than insertion. I'm so glad I did, but I think that's probably obvious to you by now. I don't think there are any truly perfect BC methods, so if you have one that you generally like I'd say stick with it.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Paraguard here and I love it! It was hard the first couple of months when I got my period, but it's eased out since then.

I was on BCP and they have lawsuits for those too, essentially, it's anything that has to do with hormones because it does affect your body -- gallstones, cardiac issues, etc.

I would totally do it again and I wish I had done this much earlier in my life -- like, when I turned 18!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #10  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Everyone's body reacts sooo differently to different forms of BC pills, patches, rings and IUDs - which is why I just...don't.

Many of my friends use Paragard and swear by it - but their periods are like 10 days of SUPER HEAVY bleeding every three weeks. It sounds like you're using Mirena - how is it aside from the erratic spotting?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #11  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I have mirena, love it!

Best BC I've ever used!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I had a period for like a month with Mirena then it went away, but I had awful headaches. With Paragard, I got a monthly period but it was heavy and long, like 6 full on period days.

I had my two babies so my husband got a vasectomy, not what you're asking but, once you're past potential baby making phase, this is a great route.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #13  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I had one back in the dark ages. My periods had been heavy from day 1 so whatever I had didn't make then worse. I bled heavily for 8 - 10 days every 3 weeks. I spotted 1 - 2 days before and after. That blasted thing decided to go on vacation and started traveling. I've never been in so much pain in all my life! Fortunately, they got it out before it punctured anything down there. I have to say it did last for about 2 years before its vacation.

I see the ads for these things that stop your period. Boy would I have jumped on that one back in the day.

Good luck. Be sure and go back to or call the dr if you feel the need. That is why you pay them and why they are there. Don't let it go too long.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #14  

I find my periods are much shorter and lighter with mirena. They were longer and heavier with paragard, but I did like that I could keep it longer. I think I had my second paragard in for about 11 years! I'm at almost 2 years on my mirena, and I'm hoping I hit menopause before I have to replace it! I love the convenience of no thought BC!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #15  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
Everyone's body reacts sooo differently to different forms of BC pills, patches, rings and IUDs - which is why I just...don't.
I don't either. Never have, but... I'm very careful (we are very careful) with using condoms. I don't like messing with my hormones unnaturally.

20 years of never having one break, never one slipping. Well, span of 20 years... there were years of no protection when we were trying to get pregnant and when I was pregnant.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 03-28-2013 at 04:38 PM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote