Old 03-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 234.5/224/155(135 dream goal)

Height: 5 6

Default Does tea (like green tea) count as water intake?

I was just wondering in terms of water - which I know I need for weight loss (and is a weak point).

first, how much water do you find you really need to drink to lose weight? Especially when its not a 20lb weight loss, but a huge chunk we have to lose?

Then, what counts as water other than just "water"?
I know diet drinks definitely don't.

but how about hot tea (and which sort) or anything flavored?
facingfacts12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #2  
A determined quirky chick

S/C/G: 265/227/160

Height: 5'8"

Well, if you are thinking in terms of hydration and calories, if it's plain green tea (which is made up of the water you add - more or less), you can count it along with water, I would assume. I have and it's for hydration, is good for you, and has some great antioxidants in it. If you are thinking calories, if you haven't added extra stuff like sugar, honey, etc, you shouldn't be looking at calories. Green tea is also said to promote weight loss a little. But it's not a fix-all - it won't burn it with no calorie or exercise changes.

As for water ... different doctors and articles vary a little, but for the most part, you should drink atleast 7-8 cups a day. I personally usually drink a bit over a pint of water a day, plus a glass of 1% milk, and sometimes a glass of juice. Drinking loads of water won't cause you to lose weight solely on that, either. But if you are feeling a bit hungry when it's not time for a meal or snack yet, drinking some water can fill you up some.
Quirky Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #3  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Height: 5'5"

I've read that we should take the number we weigh, divide that in half and that gives the number of ounces of water/liquids we need to stay properly hydrated. So at 289lbs, I should drink around 140oz. Not sure how true it is though.

I'm fairly certain tea counts, and remember that water can be consumed through fruits and vegetables too.
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 234.5/224/155(135 dream goal)

Height: 5 6

thank you for that info! I have a problem drinking straight pure water... (like out of a bottle) but I do drink bunches of green tea, so wondered if that counted.
Rachel, I heard that too - about halfing your weight - but good grief, that's a lot of water! I have a problem drinking half the amount then I need - if pure water that is...
facingfacts12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #5  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Pure water helps your kidneys function better. If your kidneys are functioning properly your liver doesn't have to help them, so it can spend more of it's energy burning fat.

I didn't really like drinking water at first, but I'd fill up a bottle with a lot of ice and sip it. I knew I had to drink four bottles a day to make my goal so I'd just do it.

After awhile you get used to it, feel better, and see some impact on the scale and all these things are motivations to drink more.

My advice is to just keep pushing yourself to drink more water every day - focus on improving a little each week and I wouldn't be surprised if it got a lot easier eventually. It did for me but it took awhile.

Good luck!
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:319/RW:257/CW:193.0/GW:140

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up

This may have just been me, but Christmas of 2011 when I decided that I wasn't going to be happy with just a 25 pound loss and that I needed to get serious, I started drinking water. Lots of it. Half of my body weight in ounces. With just that, I lost over 10 pounds & jump started my weight loss efforts. You can see on my ticker where I am now.

These days I drink 4 liters of water each day and feel wonderful. On top of that I drink a cup of plain, nothing added, hot green tea each morning. I have also started to drink a cup of plain, nothing added, cinnamon spice tea, chamomile tea, or peppermint tea each night to remind me that the kitchen is closed and I am through eating for the day.

As far as does green tea (or any other herbal tea) count for water; yes, as long as it is plain with nothing added.

Good luck on your efforts!!
sluggerbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #7  

I drink tons of decaf green tea mixed with cinnamon herbal tea. I consider it exactly the same as water, except with whatever additional benefits green tea and cinnamon are supposed to have. I just treat them interchangeably, though. Ironically, I love bottled water, but it is expensive and wasteful, so that's the reason I switched to drinking my tea mix. =)

And Peggy - you are AWESOME!!!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 280/272/160

Height: 5'6

i was always told that herbal teas count toward water intake. Anything with caffeine does not
bluesapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:58 AM   #9  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

There's a great thread in another section about how drinking water through anything really counts - even in coffee (there's a minor diuretic offset). And that people have probably been advised to drink too much water. I personally don't count my water intake... I find straight numbers based on weight a little dubious. I don't believe that someone at my weight who exercises not at all or moderately has the same water needs as I do - with my spin, personal training, rugby and bikram yoga. I sweat buckets almost every day.

That being said, I do believe that staying hydrated is really important!!
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:15 AM   #10  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Interesting thread. I always thought anything that was fluid even with some caffeine and sodium in it still counts towards our "water" intake- (diet or regular) soda, milk, tea, coffee and juices as well as water, just drink a bit extra if drinking a lot of caffeinated drinks. I remember reading once somewhere that you don't truly need to drink as much water like, say a gallon a day because you still get some fluids from food (especially vegetables iirc) of course, provided it's not sodium-laden.

I guess it would totally depend on the individual and their level of activity as well as their "diet."

Last edited by amandie; 03-25-2013 at 03:16 AM.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 AM   #11  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I sometimes count tea as my intake when I'm low. I don't have a goal persay. I just know I need to keep hydrated. I don't consider my coffee but I've heard that any liquid counts really.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote