South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #1  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Default Any Spring Starters/Restarters?

Hi! I'm Xan. This is about my 7th try at South Beach. Like many of us, I have an extremely busy schedule -- a double job at school, then freelance work on the side. That's been my Waterloo. I have gotten out of the habit of cooking, and SB has been an adjustment. I haven't had big weight loss success because I've never stuck with it, but I have picked up some good habits and lost some bad ones.

There are several others who have signed in over the past few weeks -- Syckgirlsfv, urockmom, Mama2twins and jlight22; apologies if I've missed anyone. I've often noticed that we often have people sign in and say hello, and then disappear. I hope you will stick around. Let's help each other stay on track.

Last edited by Xan; 03-16-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #2  
Xan
serial rejoiner

As they say, starting tomorrow

This time I've planned to do something I haven't tried before. I've planned out a menu: all simple recipes I've done before, know I like and can do. I want to cook each day and freeze the leftovers. That way I'll have at least 20 dinners in the freezer (small freezer) so I should have no excuses for not having anything appropriate to eat!

I'm off to do grocery shopping.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Does it count as restarting if I got totally off track and regained 25 lbs ? I am really struggling to get back to clean eating and regular exercise (and to fit into my warm weather clothes when I get them out of storage)
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #4  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Absolutely! You've made my day, Cyndi. We will be good luck for each other!

You've been so successful on SB, I'm sure you will be able to get back on track very easily. And I hope you'll post your menus, because I remember how interesting they were.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Thanks Xan, for the welcome and the vote of confidence I'll try to remember to post menus. I've become one of those crazy facebook food posters, sharing all my new recipe finds I'm in a new recipe phase, haven't made the same thing twice in months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan View Post
Absolutely! You've made my day, Cyndi. We will be good luck for each other!

You've been so successful on SB, I'm sure you will be able to get back on track very easily. And I hope you'll post your menus, because I remember how interesting they were.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #6  
Xan
serial rejoiner

You're a very good cook, Cyndi, so I'll bet you're having fun!

Re the menus, we have the On Plan thread, but not too many veterans post there, and when you all did, it was an excellent School By Example. (I learned about white beans and chard from you and cottage.)

Last edited by Xan; 05-21-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #7  
California licensed CPA!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

here I am! Thanks to Xan for starting this thread, I think it's just what we need!!!

I am starting officially (restart from being off for about 6 years, sadly) on Monday. I've got a corned beef brisket I'm cooking with cabbage, potatoes, and carrots tonight and a hot date with the hubs tomorrow for green beer and shots of Jameson, so Monday it is!

Long story short on me: lost 17 pounds in 2006 for my Vegas wedding to my hubby (drive thru wedding, so awesome but that's another thread!) by doing SBD. I got to that point where I didn't even want the bad stuff any more. I kept up phase 2 and then phase 3 for a year or so and stayed around 150 which is fine for me. Then slowly I started drinking liquor again instead of just wine, eating whatever, and now I weigh 164 at 5'8. Almost right back to where I started from.

Actually, a few months back I was up to a high of 174! I've lost 8 pounds counting calories but now it's stalled and it isn't enough...I know I've got to get back to the beach! I am really looking forward to everyone sharing there menus as well, because I work full time and I've gone back to school to get by BS in accounting. I just got my AA from Glendale Community College, and I'm taking Calculus for Business there currently while I wait for the fall quarter at Cal State L.A...I want to lose at least 15 pounds by the time I go to Vegas this summer for our 7th wedding anniversary on the 4th of July. We are staying at Aria, already got a strip view room all booked and ready...you know that in the summer Vegas is all about the pools during the day!

Also, do any of you know where I can get good yoga type exercise pants that will pull the chub in and not make my butt look so big??? TMI, I know, but I'm tired of the track pants I've been wearing the last 4 years...not too comfortable to do step and sculpt type stuff in!
Syckgirlsfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #8  
Xan
serial rejoiner

I'm glad you're in, Syckgirlsfv. I can't help with yoga, I'm afraid, but I'm sure others can.

You've got a very good start on your goal. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 301/299/220

Height: 5'5"

Red face Im Starting Hard This Time!

I WILL STICK WITH THIS!

Lets just hope that the scale shows some weight loss at the end of the week so i may be encouraged

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US STARTING OR RE-STARTING!

I just started low cal healthy food diet 5 days ago, and started my first hardcoreish workout today

STICK WITH IT LADIES! WE CAN DO THIS! WE JUST NEED TO ENCOURAGE EACHOTHER. LETS ALSO SHARE THINGS WE ARE DOING, WHAT WE ARE EATING ETC. SO OTHERS CAN GET SOME POINTERS! (including myself)
mmaldonado22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #10  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Hi mmaldonado, welcome! You might want to read one of the South Beach Diet books for guidance. The SBD is certainly healthy eating, but it's about eating healthily, eating certain foods, rather than just counting calories.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 242/220/142

Height: 5' 5"

Hi Xan! New member here! but SBD restarter.

I lost 30 pounds last spring on SBD - was really on my way. I got a promotion at work (YAY) but the position was long, stressful, sedentary hours!! I've gained some of it back and I am really motivated to start over.

Over the last few months I've tried Adkins induction and some other ketogenic plans that did nothing for me.

This plan works and you actually EAT.

So I'm restarting on Monday for two weeks of Phase 1 and I'm very jazzed

I do have one hiccup coming - I'm going to the UK for a week on April 1. I plan to have a special meal or two but most days stick to the plan. I may have to continue on Phase 1 for a while upon my return.

If anyone is wanting to start kicking this fat out the door starting on Monday, I'm ready to GOOOOO.
MinnieSkinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 182/176/135

Height: 5'4"

Restarter here. I'm on Day 7 of Phase 1 and so far, so good.

Eight years ago, I lost 11 lbs doing a clean Phase 1 and daily workouts on the elliptical. But I didn't transition to Phase 2 properly and between that and slacking off on the workouts and mounting stress from juggling work, family and school, I soon gained it all back plus 10 lbs more.

Fast forward to today: I initially considered doing WW again since fourteen years ago I lost 52 lbs (all since regained +) following the plan religiously. But I counted points for two years and I just couldn't bear the thought of doing it again. I remembered how much I enjoyed doing South Beach and thought that I ought to give it another chance, this time putting more effort into doing Phase 2 properly.

South Beach looks like a plan that is designed more realistically for maintenance. I mean, who really wants to count points for the rest of her life? amiright??

Besides, I have multiple food allergies/sensitivities, most of which coincide quite conveniently with the South Beach Avoid List - these include wheat, all other gluten-containing grains, processed corn products (cornmeal, corn syrup, corn starch), soy, potatoes, and yams.

To keep myself accountable I've been making an effort to post regularly in the On Plan thread. I missed posting the last couple of days but I stayed on plan and recorded my daily food choices in my journal.

Thanks for starting this thread, Xan. It's encouraging to see so many others stepping up and starting/restarting this journey.
harmonyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #13  

I'm contemplating giving SB another go. I tried it about 4.5 years ago, and I failed miserably. I was so weak and tired- and I was afraid to eat. I had that "diet" mindset where if you are full, you're overeating. I was 17. I was young. I was stupid.

On day 2, I ate a fluffernutter and danced around my room.

I survived about a week on a paleo diet and lost 6.2 pounds. I would have gone longer if I wasn't put on cotton-candy duty at work. That shouldn't be an issue with SB though as I'm not working for that company any more. Of course, I DID have fruit with that, so I'm a little unsure about how I'll cope without fruit for 2 weeks.

I do know that I will be doing a slightly modified version of phase 1. I'm going to stick to the foods listed (with some minor adjustments- like eating dark meat and full-fat cheese), but I'm not following the guidelines for portions. I might have a 5 oz steak. So be it.
honeylissabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Xan - me too! It looks like there's a lot of ladies in the boat with us. South Beach works so well, if you stick too it. And really, it's just healthy eating. It's so hard to resist all the goodies in today's society, but SBD does make it a lot easier, since the cravings are gone.

I will use the excuse that 2012 was a tough year...my dad died, and then slightly later my dog (turning 3) got sick and died 4 months later...and being her vet that was emotionally draining (freak, I'm tearing up just typing it!). Never mind other emotionally draining things. But, things are looking up, and I can take care of myself better now instead of the back burner like I have for a while.

I started last week, and it went *fairly* well. Thanks Xan for getting us together!

(I just realized my ticker is WAY off....denial....)

Last edited by TwynnB; 03-17-2013 at 08:25 AM.
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #15  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Wow! We're getting quite a group! (I did start the thread, but I don't think of it as "my" thread, and I'm very happy we have some successful veterans here, because they'll be able to answer questions.)

Welcome, Minnie Skinnie -- starting tomorrow is fine. There are a lot of people who like to start Mondays. I've done that, too -- no weekend temptations, and you get five days under your belt.

Welcome, harmonybelle. I've tried WW lots As soon as I switch from low carb programs to WW I notice my shopping cart is loaded with carbs. If you have allergies, I would think SB would be a great program for you. If we feel better, we're more likely to keep eating healthily.

And welcome honeylissabee -- I think everyone tweaks the program. Others will correct me if I'm wrong, I hope, but I think the book says to start with a three-ounce portion and go back for more if needed.

And twynn, I'm so glad you're in -- although, looking at your ticker, I don't know why you're worried!

I'm starting today, and will post menus on the On Plan Thread, as several people on this thread do.

For those starting today -- GOOD LUCK!