Old 03-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278.4/see siggy/178.4

Height: 5'6"

Default Popcorn points question

DH and I got a hot air popper this past weekend. Yay! We love popcorn and it is our snack of choice so we thought this was a good way to keep the points down versus some of the microwave options.

But I am confused on how to figure the points because while I put 4 tablespoons in, every time 1-2 tablespoons don't pop.

Should I just determine out how much is left and subtract that from the 4 tablespoons and figure the points that way?

Also, we have an olive oil misto (like this one) that we lightly spray the popcorn with so the salt and seasonings will stick. How do I figure that since it is not much at all per bowl?

Sometimes figuring out points can be so confusing.
gooch100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 219/ticker/118

Height: 5'5"

Ugh, oh gosh yes. I do rather love popcorn. Could you try to go off the calorie information instead and just use maybe a calorie counter to do 1 cup of popcorn?
candykisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #3  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, I'd measure what's popped and do it that way.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #4  

I was afraid you all would say that.

I was hoping to not have to dirty another bowl/utensil. (I hate doing dishes! )

Any idea on the olive oil mist points? It is not much but I am wondering how to count it.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #5  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

I love love LOVE popcorn - it is my favorite snack, and since I do a lot of my workouts at night and am then STARVING but also think it's too late to really eat, popcorn often gets me through. However, I am way lazier than you and I buy single-serving healthy pops because I know they're 3 points - it says so on the bag. Good for you for making healthier popcorn! I don't know if I would calculate salt/seasoning/just a mist of olive oil. I would probably just calculate how much popped.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 272/see tracker/170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUPMOM5 View Post
I love love LOVE popcorn - it is my favorite snack, and since I do a lot of my workouts at night and am then STARVING but also think it's too late to really eat, popcorn often gets me through. However, I am way lazier than you and I buy single-serving healthy pops because I know they're 3 points - it says so on the bag. Good for you for making healthier popcorn! I don't know if I would calculate salt/seasoning/just a mist of olive oil. I would probably just calculate how much popped.
I'm glad I'm not the only "lazy" person to just buy the healthy pop single bags. I love popcorn and I could easily sit there and eat all the popcorn available.
kireos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #7  
Cindy

S/C/G: 219/see ticker/136

Measure out however much you popped (or typically eat) then find a bowl that fits it perfectly so you don't have to measure in the future, just fill up your designated bowl. That's how I do it. And I love my popcorn. For now I'm sticking with my oil popper, I'm willing to use the extra points. Maybe later I'll get an air popper like you did.
forkeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #8  
Loving Simply Filling

S/C/G: 195/161.4/164

Height: 5'8"

I agree with FORKEEPS, measure it out once and then use a container that fits it perfectly so you do not have to measure again. As for the Olive oil mist, as long as you are using 1/3 tsp or less (which you probably are) then it is 0pts so I would not worry about it. If you are using more then you need to track it as 1pt but then you have your healthy oil!
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #9  

Looks like measuring post popping it is.

My plan is to designate one bowl for for the popped corn and then mark the level for the various points (2, 3 and 4). I have some paint pens that may work on our metal bowls.

Thanks ladies.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #10  

My olive oil mister delivers a whole teaspoon of oil in one continuous spray. I sprayed it into a measuring spoon. You only need to measure the popped corn once. If you always use the same amount of kernals, you get pretty much the same to pop each time. Some brands do pop better than others. I hardly have any unpopped kernals when I use my air popper.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote