Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/155/130

Height: 5'11"

Default Any tall girls? Let's support each other!

I noticed all the tall women forums are no longer active, so I'm starting a new one...

I've been lucky to have maintained an ok/comfortable weight for the last two years, but then had to switch birth control pills and gained 17 pounds in 3 weeks! Now I'm back on the old trustworthy brand and three months have gone by but some 8-9 pounds are lingering and I thought I'd take this opportunity to go all the way and really get back in shape. I've been dealing with serious injuries for the last 3 years and am almosttt in the clear so I'm looking to have this be a fresh new start in more ways than one!

Please share your story/ post so we can support each other. Thanks!
summerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #2  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I like this idea. I'm amazed every day at how many tall girls there are out there. I usually feel like the only one. I've been obese for years. I've lost 115 pounds since August and am at my lowest since at least 2006. I still have about 130 pounds to go.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 187/180/150

Height: 5'10''

Yay tallness! I've been creeping up in weight bit by bit over the last few years as I have gotten my first jobs out of college and spend most of my days sitting at a desk, to the point where I officially qualify as overweight. Now, I'm on my way back to grad school (4/4 in terms of acceptances! now I just have to figure out where I'm going...) and moving to a new city. I really want to take advantage of this opportunity to start fresh and look amazing while I kick *** at studying. I've lost about 10 pounds since the beginning of the year, though that number fluctuates pretty widely depending on the day/time. Would love to lose about 25 more before September.
synchrojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW194/CW144/GW140

Height: 5.10

Another tall girl here. I agree sometimes i feel like the only tall girl in the world. I've been on my journey since october. Was going good but then things slowed down.

I also understand trying to go all the way. Last time, i stopped just short of my goal. And eventually it all came back. I learned that for me, i have to keep weighing myself even force myself. There were times that i would over eat, then depressed that idid it then end up eating more. Now i force myself on scale to realize that i didnt screw up that much.

Good luck with the weightloss.
hiddenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 212/200/125

Sometimes I feel like a giant. Literally. I'm 5'10" which is totally fine, I actually enjoy being as tall as I am for the simple fact that clothes look better on tall people. It's the wide part I'm not such a fan of. On both my mom's and my dad's side all my aunts and female cousins are somewhere in the neighborhood of 5'-5'4" and maybe weigh a maximum of 100 pounds each. All except for me and my mom (I might add that my mom is also very short, she does however, struggle as much as I do with weight issues), I blame the fact that my mom was adopted and we don't actually have her family's genetics, and I blame the fact that I'm the heaviest cousin on my dad's side on the fact that my dad is the 'Crazy Uncle Larry' of the family. I know that actually has no bearing, but I have to blame someone besides myself, right?
Anyway, I've found that being tall has it's own set of unique challenges when it comes to losing weight. For me, I can drop weight faster than my short friends, but it takes a lot longer for 1. Anyone to notice and 2. To see a difference in clothing sizes.
kellzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/163/150

Height: 5'8"

How tall is tall? At 5'8 1/2 I do feel tall, especially since i have such broad shoulders and hips. I do like being "tall" because I think it makes me look more proportionate but at the same time it also makes me look like a giant when I'm standing with my friends who aren'y so tall. I do however get uncomfortable when my bf makes comments on how petite girls are cute and how it doesn't matter for a girl if she's short...Maybe that's me being totally insecure ( ok I know it's me! ) but why do you tell me this? It's not like I can get petite or shorter! I can try to lose all the weight that I want, no one will ever look at me and think " ohhh how cute is she!". Or when I point out a girl who I find is totally attractive ( I have this huge girl crush on a trainner at my gym who's 5'10 I'd guess) and he tells me she's hot but she's too tall?? WTF? She's like an inch and a half taller than me! I've never wished I was shorter and really like my height, but comments like that make me feel bad because it's something I have totally no control over!
Oh, the love hate relationship with being tall
CohesiveGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #7  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

It's funny because I feel pretty short at 5'9" here in nyc... and I've been thinking about upping my height "game" with a few pairs of those 6" platforms that I see so many women wearing around here these days... but I thought I should just get some stilts, since those are probably easier to walk in...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 03-13-2013 at 10:24 AM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #8  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellzy View Post
Anyway, I've found that being tall has it's own set of unique challenges when it comes to losing weight. For me, I can drop weight faster than my short friends, but it takes a lot longer for 1. Anyone to notice and 2. To see a difference in clothing sizes.
Not to mention that by virtue of frame, even at our skinniest we still end up wearing larger sizes.

What is everyone doing for an eating plan/exercise? Just curious.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
Not to mention that by virtue of frame, even at our skinniest we still end up wearing larger sizes.

What is everyone doing for an eating plan/exercise? Just curious.
Ugh, no doubt. I don't think I'll ever fit into a small unless it's a men's! I bought a Pittsburgh Steelers shirt the other day in a size small men's and it made me feel fantastic! Huzzah!

Eating plan and exercise-wise, I'm following my mom's old Herbal Magic food plan and watching calories/portion sizes. I don't necessarily count but try to loosely gauge the approximate amount. I don't like being too strict with food.

For exercise I run a 10 minute mile 5 days a week and do 2 miles on the weekend. I also do about 30 minutes to 45 minutes of strength training with resisitance bands and body weight exercises (planks and pushups) 3x a week. My husband and I are doing this together so we pretty much eat all the same meals and do the same exercises though he gets more calories than I do b/c he's a dude... (jerk...)
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 155/155/130

Height: 5'11"

Wow! This is awesome how many of us tall women there are (and of course, CohesiveGen, that includes you too!).

I am so impressed by all of you already. I've never used/ been on a forum before, but I think this is going to be really helpful. Also congratulations to everyone already.

hiddenstar- since you bring up the scale... Just wondering, everyone, how often do you find it's best to weigh yourself? I don't want to get obsessive because I know I have that tendency but definitely want to weight myself frequently enough that the guilt of a weigh-in helps me keep my eating in check.

Radiojane- to answer your question, I can't quite exercise yet because of injuries. I tried pilates a few weeks ago and re-aggravated an injury and now am supposed to wait 2 months before anything. If I was really ambitious I'm sure I could manage push-ups, planks and that kind of thing, but after being sedentary for so long, I find when I do too many exercises targeting my non-injured areas, it sets something new off. Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing? Such a delicate, frustrating balance! Food-wise I've been trying to cut out desserts, or just a few days a week, eat less than normal (I can't count calories because I get too neurotic about it), stop when I'm full, eat a small meals whenever I reach a 6-7 out of 10 on a hungry scale, and just focus on eating more fruit, vegetables, and protein. I went to a nutritionist once who told me I need to eat more protein (and she said most women don't get enough), and although she wouldn't say I eat too much in the bread family, she implied that I shouldn't try and eat less in that category but try eating more in the categories that I need. I really like that idea because I hate saying no you can't eat this, no you can't eat that, because then I just crave it more. So instead I try and eat as much fruit and veggies as possible with scattered in protein.
summerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:29 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 187/180/150

Height: 5'10''

summerjoy: I step on the scale more often than I should, usually in the morning after I use the bathroom but before I shower and before I go to bed at night. I don't let the number get to me too much, though, as my weight tends to fluctuate widely (a pound or two over the course of a day). It doesn't affect my mood because it is, as you say, more of a reminder to myself to stay on plan.

Speaking of plans, mine involves calorie counting using the myfitnesspal app (I aim for 1400/day but go up and down to prevent getting stuck in a rut) and exercise. This month is likely to be terrible on the exercise front, though, as I'm traveling for 2+ weeks and working fiendishly while I'm home. I keep trying to make it to my work's exercise room before it closes at 7, but I never quite do. Instead, my gym clothes just end up going for a ride. But when I'm home I hit the elliptical for 20-30 minutes at a pace around 5.5/6 mph and then weight lift for another half hour. I do that 3-4 times a week and swim on saturdays. I also walk everywhere. Basically, I do things that are free.

Does anyone have suggestions of how to stay on plan while on the road? I could use the advice.
synchrojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW194/CW144/GW140

Height: 5.10

I step on the scale every morning and sometimes during the day even when i get scared. But i remind myself everytime, that at least i'm not where i started. This weeks chant is at least i'm not in the 170's any more. 2 months age, i was saying that about 180.

I was counting calories with myfitness pal. But since i tend to eat the same things for breakfast and lunch - dinner is my main variable. I just started NRLW. Hope it helps. I have read many good reviews on it.
hiddenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #13  

Height: 6'

Hi there,

I'm 6' tall. Lost 16 pounds in 4 weeks and have about 75 more to go. Hate the number the scale says but love this plan.
tallgirl231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #14  

S/C/G: sig

Height: 5'10"

There used to be a tall forum! I miss it, and I never even knew it was there lol
Sunday115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 190.8/see sig/<165

Height: 5 ft 11

Summer Joy- Thanks for starting this thread up! I had posted on a tall girl thread in the past but found it very inactive.

I'm also 5'11". It's great to be able to talk to other girls with similar weight goals and calorie needs. Since we are taller we don't have the same needs as our petite friends out there.

I have had bouts of successful dieting in the past, but never gotten it quite right and figured out how to do this long term. I wonder if some of you ladies find the same obstacles. Since I am 5'11" I know that I probably cant do the 1200 calories a day kinda diet. I have tried to do 1500 calories and find it very difficult to make that work for me. I tend to end up bingeing . So then I think maybe thats too low for someone my height. But if I try for 1800 calories it seems like the weightloss completely stalls. I have to admit I haven't stuck with the 1800 for more than a couple weeks. And generally I have been a terribly inconsistent calorie counter in the past.

I guess my question is whether some of you ladies that have found so much success can attest to whether I'm making excuses thinking that 1500 is too low? That perhaps I need to be more commited to it and ensure I dont waste calories so I don;t binge?

My sister who is my same height lost over 60 lbs years ago following a strict 1200 calorie diet and walking a few days a week. Since she has regretted doing such low calories. She feels that her metabolism hasn;t been the same since and that if she had done it at a higher calorie allotment things would have been better in the transistion off of the counting. I don;t know if perhaps hearing her talk about how she wishes she had lost weight different is why, but I am terrified of having a huge stuggle to keep off the weight once I lose it.

I want to do it healthfully, but I feel that if I dont see some consistent results I'll lose motivation.

Wow I just realised I totally sound like I am whining. I guess I just want to know how low in calories you tall ladies have done. I want to pick a number and feel confident that it's not too low. Or let myself doubt and use t as an excuse not to stick with the plan.
wannaBfitnessbuff is offline   Reply With Quote