Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

Default Has anyone gone zero carb (in terms of no veg)?

I've been reading about the '72 original diet on another forum, and from what I can gather (haven't read the book in years), Dr. Atkins almost preaches no vegetables so that full ketosis can be reached very quickly. As we all know, the body burns carbs first, so when they're at a bare minimum from the meats, eggs, and cheeses one consumes, spilling ketones and burning fat should happen very quickly and steadily.

Anyone gone down that route? I can't imagine eating no vegetables to be honest. But this might be an interesting thing to experiment with for those who are stalling, whether real or imagined

Last edited by California17; 03-12-2013 at 12:32 PM.
California17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #2  

Am I allowed to post things said on other forums here? Found something interesting, but I'm new and don't know the etiquette...
Old 03-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #3  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

I think you can post anything as long as its not vulgar, or trying to sell something so post away.

I do very LOOOWWWWW carb veggie wise. I have 2 cups of lettuce every other day, otherwise its meat, cheese, butter, spices, eggs (every day). I do treat myself to Low Carb marinara sauce 2 times a week (3 carbs for 1/2 cup - Rao's). I do not like veggies.. so it works for me and yes I am in Ketosis all the time To bulk up my fiber tho (so that the intestines are happy campers) I take fiber tablets and they seem to work for me

Hope you are doing well and I saw from your other post that you have lost lbs Yeah for you!!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #4  

Hi wannaskipandlaugh! Things are going well. Waiting for a whoosh though (aren't we all inpatient?).

So here's a diet a woman on another forum did. She lost 38 lbs in 6 weeks.

"FOODS

Meat (except liver and liver sausage)
Fish (except wine sauce herring)
Seafood (except oysters)
Poultry (nothing to be breaded or floured,
No BBQ sauce or catsup)
Eggs (fixed any way)
Natural Cheese (with wax around)
(No cottage cheese, processed or yogurt)
Butter, Oleo
Fat
Salt/Pepper and other seasonings
Artificial Sweetners
Mustard & Horseradish
Mayonnaise *
Sour Cream Dressing *
Low Calorie Dressing * w/no sugar
Mushrooms (1T)
Beef or Chicken boullion broth
(No other soups)

*These items contain 2 cal. Of sugar per Tablespoon – DO NOT use excessively
** If desired as often as listed

Fried Pork Rinds (can be used as breading)
Sugar Free Gum (NO sugar free candy or other dietetic foods)
Cool Whip topping *
D-Zerta Jello and D-Zerta topping
Plain Knox Gelatin and sugar free kool-aid (mix together to make jello)
1C of lettuce (twice a day) **
NO OTHER VEGETABLES
NO FRUIT

BEVERAGES

Water (1/2 your weight in oz.)
Sugar Free Soda
Sugar Free Kool-Aid
Black Coffee and tea
Hard Liquor: (NO wine except dry vermouth, NO apricot brandy, drambouye, Southern Comfort, Liquorers)
NO regular beer
Lite Beer OK – Micholob Lite or Miller Lite"

I've been reading up on the 72' version and here are two things that caught my eye;

1. Veggies are limited to two cups of loose greens a day (with added cucumbers, celery, and radishes) and off course oils and sauces.
2. Caffeine is limited to 6 servings a day. Doesn't specify decaf, and is limited to 3 servings a day for people who are sensitive to sugar.

Hope this helps anyone stalling...

Last edited by California17; 03-12-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #5  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I just recently bought a collectible hardcover first edition of DADR to add to my diet book "collection" and as far as carbs go it allows 2 cups of salad a day and that's pretty much it... which Dr. Atkin's considered to basically be zero carb... and you do that for a week and then you can start adding back in carbs... so pretty straight forward and it allows you the flexibility to decide which carbs you add back first while you're finding your CCL...

I like Atkins '72... it's old school... and it definitely works if you follow it... but you can also find diets that where basically low carb going back to the 19th century, so the principle behind it has a fair amount of history... I don't know if you've read Taubes or not, but he goes into all that detail which is kind of interesting whether you believe him or not...

And although I wouldn't recommend it from what I've read a 48hr fast will put you right into ketosis and is actually how some of the low carb diets that were around in the 1950's would start out...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 03-12-2013 at 02:31 PM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #6  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

California..... Be careful about the artificial sweetners too. They do count as carbs (1 per packet) and they (on alot of people) have a tendency to slow weight loss (I have found that out when I replaced water for my Pinky Ice Tea - sweetNLow and Crystal Light as they slowed my weight loss down alot!)

But otherwise the list looks good. I think the cheeses need to be HARD cheeses not soft

Last edited by wannaskipandlaugh; 03-12-2013 at 02:52 PM.
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #7  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by California17 View Post
2. Caffeine is limited to 6 servings a day. Doesn't specify decaf, and is limited to 3 servings a day for people who are sensitive to sugar.
I could do this... so long as the servings were like this:

synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #8  

First time I did Atkins a few years ago, I don't remember eating any vegetables. I recall a lot of cheeses, cold cuts, red wine, and franks dipped in mayo. Like I've mentioned, the weight melted off.

Regarding artificial sweeteners, I drink my coffee unsweetened and don't do any low carb desserts so I don't consume any. The only packaged stuff I eat is mayo and tuna in olive oil so I shouldn't be getting too much from those sources.

I would be interested in doing this during a stall...

Did anyone notice the beer on the beverage list? What a joke (for me anyway).
Old 03-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #9  
Heading Downtown...

If you are following Dr. Atkins books then it has vegetables... Even Atkins '72 has some vegetables... the 2 cups of salad a day and that's only for the first week... then you can start increasing carbs... I would recommend taking a look at DANDR (2002 or earlier) or DADR (Atkins '72)... I know some people don't like NANY... But those plans work too if you follow them....

Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of people don't go "by the book" as it's written and either eat too much protein or not enough fat or both and when they run into problems they wonder why "Atkins" doesn't work for them... But most of the time if you look closely at what they're eating they usually aren't following the plan as written and laid out in Dr. Atkins books...
Old 03-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #10  

I wonder if I could decrease my vegetables to the two loose salads a day, and bring back cheese (evil laugh).

I'm a big believer in self experimentation. What works for one won't necessarily work for all. I'm following the '72 fairly closely, with maybe a bit more salad than recommended. I do like the free reign on eggs and eat up to six for lunch.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #11  
Heading Downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by California17 View Post
I wonder if I could decrease my vegetables to the two loose salads a day, and bring back cheese (evil laugh).

I'm a big believer in self experimentation. What works for one won't necessarily work for all. I'm following the '72 fairly closely, with maybe a bit more salad than recommended. I do like the free reign on eggs and eat up to six for lunch.
Atkins '72 allows up to 4oz of any hard, aged cheese a day... and up to only 4 tsps of heavy cream a day... for that first week of level one... There was no "induction" back then... Just levels 1 - 5....
Old 03-13-2013, 02:17 AM   #12  

Spot on Jez! I try to say Atkins-like to my friends. I'm not ashamed at all, and almost dare them to try tell me off because I have info and research in my arsenal

I'm going to keep experimenting till I find my carb sweet spot for as continuous weightloss as possible. Down another 2.4 pounds overnight which makes it 12.4 and this is the beginning of day 9 (actually day 8 cause I totally cheated on day 1).
Old 03-13-2013, 02:43 AM   #13  

This is my 20th post does that mean I can FINALLY get a ticker?

*happy dance*
Old 03-13-2013, 05:29 AM   #14  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

I remember reading one of the Atkins books that advised a macadamia nut fast for breaking stalls. Was that the '72 book ?
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #15  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I described my diet to someone, and he said, "So it's Atkins?". I said no, about 100 years older than that, more like Banting...

And I left it at that.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote