Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #1  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Kettlebell Workouts ?

So yesterday I went ahead an ordered a really nice set of kettlebells with a stand and everything so this way they'll at least be off the floor and easier to dust if I never use them again after the first time... hahaha...

But seriously, I've never picked up one of these things in my life... but I've been intrigued by them for a while now... so I figured why not?

So does anyone have any suggestions on how to get started with these things?
I figured I would just order some DVD's and go from there, so if anyone has any suggestions on some good ones I'm all ears...

I've been checking out Amazon and there is one by some guy named Pavel(?) I think... that looks good called "Enter The Kettle Bell"... (sort of ominous tittle, but it does have me intrigued) and than another series by some guy named Skogg(?) or something like that I'm not sure... that had some decent reviews... although I never know what to make of all of those Amazon reviews sometimes... they really can be hit or miss...

Anyway I'd love to hear what other people here are doing with these things... I have to admit they look pretty cool... I just want to make sure that I don't break a few windows or take out one of my cats swinging one of these things around...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Pavel is who is credited with bringing kettlebells to the US. I would highly recommend seeing if you can find a technique class because it helped me immensely. Generally, the reputable trainers will have RKC certification which is the one Pavel controls in the US and possibly elsewhere. This goes for DVDs and live training.

How much do your kettlebells go up to? Assuming you are an average woman, you'll want to start with 20 lbs, maybe 25 if you are stronger than average. The good thing is KBs, unlike weights are meant to find a sweet spot of sorts and you don't need to increase beyond that unless you want. Later on, you may find you even want to double up on some. I have 2 20s, 25, 35, 35 and 53. I only use up to 45, other 2 are for my husband.

Some things might be useful like:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...ttlebells.html

Also I recently wrote this in a different thread about kettlebells
I'd personally watch videos to get a better idea on form but there are some bad ones out there. Art of strength has a lot of short videos, quite a few on form.
http://www.artofstrengthtraining.com...e-of-strength/

Also, Dragon Door has additional books that might be helpful as well.
http://www.dragondoor.com/
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #3  
Heading Downtown...

Thanks Nelie... I knew I could count on you for some good advice as always...

And thanks for the info on Pavel (I feel like such a dilettante now for not knowing about him...lol...) so I'll definitely check out his stuff... and it should be easy to find a personal trainer with that certification here in New York... Hopefully I can find a really good looking one too... to make the hour go by faster... lol... actually, that's probably one of reasons that I enjoy Pilates as much as I do... (sorry, a bit shallow I know, but sometimes that works for me)

Since I obviously didn't really know what I was doing I just went ahead an ordered a set of six that goes from 5lbs to 30lbs. basically because it looked nice and I sort of liked the stand that came with it... So I guess I'll just give the 5lb and 10lb ones to my Grandmother and she can just wreak havoc on the other residents at her condo complex down in Florida... lol... So that still leaves me with a few to work with... and then as I get stronger I can always just add a few more to my collection... although some of them are as big as freaking bowling balls and I'm not sure how anyone can swing those babies around... they actually look a little bit scary to me... But hey, who knows? Maybe some day...
Old 03-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

And I should've said I use up to 35. I've swing the 45 but I can only do a few before I get tired. And women have strong legs and swinging power comes from your hips so it is easier than you think. A too light kettlebell may even throw you off. I think you'll have fun, I really like kettlebells myself (obviously).

And as for Pavel, I like his books but some people aren't a fan due to the presentation as there are advertisements for other products and what not. The info in them is solid though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I love working out with kettlebells because of the cardio & weight training aspect of them.

When I first started, I bought Pavel's "Enter the Kettlebell" and also "Kettlebells for Dummies". Both were very helpful.

I agree with nelie, if you find a trainer, be sure they are certified (preferrablly RKC, but AKC is okay). I've seen so many bad techniques, including on the Biggest Loser by the trainers. It makes me cringe.

I did a 10,000 swing/month challenge last year and it got me into awesome shape. I think I'm going to challenge myself again soon.
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #6  
Heading Downtown...

I'm still waiting for all my new kettlebell goodies to arrive... should be here soon... I'm definitely planning on starting out very slowly with them... so my plan is for really easy workouts with them and then I guess we'll see... I'm just not up for anything too challenging at this point... but I don't see why kettlebells shouldn't be able to fit in with that... I just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew so to speak... but even if I have... it won't be the first time when it comes to working out...