Old 03-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5''

Default How often should I eat 5oz ground beef as a meal per week?

I just had 5oz extra lean ground beef (93% lean / 7% fat) and 2 cups of mushrooms for dinner. It's more filling than my usual shrimp or chicken with 2 cups of veggies. My taste buds and tummy are very happy right now.

I wish I could eat 5oz of ground beef for dinner all week, but I vaguely recall hearing about limiting one's intake of red meat to just 2 times per week. With that mind, I re-read the IP Phase 1 sheet and it does not say that we can't have red meat every night of the week.

Is it safe to have a 5oz serving more than twice a week? How often do you eat extra lean ground beef on IP?
FreeBird3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird3 View Post
I just had 5oz extra lean ground beef (93% lean / 7% fat) and 2 cups of mushrooms for dinner. It's more filling than my usual shrimp or chicken with 2 cups of veggies. My taste buds and tummy are very happy right now.

I wish I could eat 5oz of ground beef for dinner all week, but I vaguely recall hearing about limiting one's intake of red meat to just 2 times per week. With that mind, I re-read the IP Phase 1 sheet and it does not say that we can't have red meat every night of the week.

Is it safe to have a 5oz serving more than twice a week? How often do you eat extra lean ground beef on IP?
You can definitely have it more often if you want - but as with everything, you want to listen to your body. Beef is higher in calories and sodium that some other meats, so it's just something to be aware of. You also want to make sure if you do have beef, you have the full portion - 5oz is only about 2/3 of what you should have, and not quite enough grams of protein. Never sacrifice protein to cut corners on calories
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5''

Thanks for the quick reply! When I was going to a coach back in October last year, she told me that red meat is limited to 5oz while chicken and seafood is 8oz. I know every coach is different though. I just re-started IP this past Sunday and I'm doing it on my own. I'll beef up (no pun intended) my read meat ounces next time.

Also, I saw this IP diet review video recently (one of the more decent ones in my opinion) and he mentions having 5oz of red meat, but he did specify that was just for him/his weight.

Fat Man Diet Review - Ideal Protein Diet
FreeBird3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird3 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! When I was going to a coach back in October last year, she told me that red meat is limited to 5oz while chicken and seafood is 8oz. I know every coach is different though. I just re-started IP this past Sunday and I'm doing it on my own. I'll beef up (no pun intended) my read meat ounces next time.

Also, I saw this IP diet review video recently (one of the more decent ones in my opinion) and he mentions having 5oz of red meat, but he did specify that was just for him/his weight.

Fat Man Diet Review - Ideal Protein Diet
As I always say, "follow the sheet"

The newest available sheet (from June 2012) states 8oz (measured raw) dinner protein, no matter what kind you choose. It makes sense, because 8oz of fish, chicken, beef and pork are all right around 40-50g protein. 5oz beef might be higher in calories, but it's about 2/3 the correct amount of protein.

As I'm sure you noticed, coaches and clients alike tweak the program - sometimes it works, sometimes it backfires. That's why I say listen to your body - it will tell you if you've gone too far by not rewarding you on the scale
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #5  
IP Start Date 8/31/2012

S/C/G: 250/119/124

I have had lean ground beef (8oz uncooked weight) up to 6 times a week when I first started this diet. I don't eat it any more than twice a week now, but that is just because I found this chicken dish that I really like and I make that most of the time. I have always lost regardless of how many times I had red meat in a week.
AlisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #6  
Reboot Jan 2018

Height: 5'7"

In the beginning I ate lean ground beef quite often (fell in love with Big Mac in a bowl) and it never affected my losses. But recently my tastes have changed and I have a hard time with red meat of any kind at the moment especially my old fav. Which is too bad as its an easy dish for me to make when my DH is working (he's the cook in our house).
Cheekyskeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:26 PM   #7  
Fat melting NINJA:)

S/C/G: 141/130/115

Height: 5.2

Not sure if anyone checks this"old" thread, but i will take my chance What are your thoughts on filet mignon during phase 1? same rule?
I like eating red meat on days when I am feeling very low in energy. SO, iam glad that you guys are eating ground beef. And like Scorbett says, i will listen to my body!!
Thank you!
Aria05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:09 PM   #8  
Stanski

S/C/G: 152/144/130

Height: 5'4"

I've always found that when I eat lean beef (5oz or 8oz steak or lean ground beef) the next day I've dropped weight. My body seems to like beef, and I've made a meal of lean ground beef and 2 cups of mushrooms with a sprinkle of Italian spices, and it's really helped with my weight loss.
Stanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:48 AM   #9  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria05 View Post
Not sure if anyone checks this"old" thread, but i will take my chance What are your thoughts on filet mignon during phase 1? same rule?
I like eating red meat on days when I am feeling very low in energy. SO, iam glad that you guys are eating ground beef. And like Scorbett says, i will listen to my body!!
Thank you!
Filet mignon is fine. Just make sure you increase your water intake to account for the extra sodium if you eat it at a restaurant (they are normally topped with a spice mix which will make you retain water).

I normally start craving a steak when I'm low on iron, so I tend to act on it, and I've always lost.

I tend to use extra lean ground beef with mushroom, cabbage and green onions with 1 egg. Mix well and roll into meatballs. That way you don't have to worry about freezing half pre-packs. Just calculate how many meat portions you have and work your veggies into it and decide how many meatballs = a meal portion. They also work really well cold with a "free" salad of cucumber and lettuce on days you can't be bothered to cook or a protein breakfast with a scrambled egg.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria05 View Post
Thank you!
Filet Mignon is tenderloin, and that is listed on the sheet. You're good-to-go.

Since this was started as an old thread, reminder that IP uses 8 oz now (used to be 5)
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #11  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

When my losses started slowing, I added lean ground beef a few times a week and found that it helped me lose. I usually had salmon once a week but mostly tuna/chicken and eggs.
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote