Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-07-2013, 03:47 AM   #1  
:)

S/C/G: 330/

Height: 5'5"

Default Just slipped big time. :(

Well, I've been doing so good. Lately I've been feeling a little overwhelmed and not so on track. Well, tonight I went scrapbooking with some ladies and ate like 5 tacos and a bunch of strawberries with her special whipped cream. I have to say that it felt so good not to care what I was eating and that's what scares me half to death. I'm so afraid of ruining all the hard work I've done since the first of the year. I know I should just forget it and move on and I plan on trying to do that, but I'm still worried that I will be thinking of how good it felt not to worry..
What are some things you guys do when you slip up? I think I've asked this before because these past couple of weeks have been hard on me. My mind is in a different place for some reason.
sassyangies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: sig

Height: 5'10"

The more time you take being upset over it, the more you're going to sabotage yourself. Seriously, I've started losing weight about 4 times in the last 3 years with success only to get frustrated over something little, gain it all back plus more. So you had a cheat day! And tomorrow won't be a cheat day. You cannot ruin months of hard work in a night, so thank the powers that be that something as amazing as tacos and whipped cream exist, and go back to plan tomorrow lol

Last edited by Sunday115; 03-07-2013 at 03:52 AM.
Sunday115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:55 AM   #3  
:)

S/C/G: 330/

Height: 5'5"

Thank you!! I think I will go to bed and try and forget it and move on. This is the hardest thing for me and I'm not sure why..I feel so blah!!
sassyangies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: sig

Height: 5'10"

Me and you both lol. I just started this sh*t for the millionth time a week ago, and I know at some point I'll be right where you are tonight as I have been many many times. Just gotta push through it. It's not like you went off plan for 2 years (like I just did! haha)
Sunday115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Maybe you just needed a break....a slight detour.... Nobody is perfect, and it was tacos, not nuclear extinction. Moving on is really the healthy way to handle the situation. Also, for me it helps with those "out of control" and/or "failed again" feelings to look at the situation and see if there is a way to do it better (not perfect) next time....and then just let it go.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 208/189/135

Height: 5'5

If you really can't stop thinking about how good it felt to "let go" you might want to plan that in a couple of months you'll let yourself have another cheat day. Perhaps you could compensate by eating extra healthy the rest of that particular week? I find that if I plan a cheat day, I'm less likely to slip and cheat multiple times, or feel like giving up when I do! For example, I'm not even tempted to cheat at the moment, because I have a cheat day planned for the 22nd. It's my birthday, we're going to a Japanese restaurant and I will order whatever I want But I'll be straight back to careful eating the next day.

Last edited by Lilytoby; 03-07-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Lilytoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #7  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Oh gosh.. we all are not perfect and situations happen when we give in. It sounded like you really did not eat anything tooo bad really. But the taste of it conjured up the memories of the taste. But remember.. if you eat like that every day.. the taste experience gets less and less as its a constant and not a treat. Just remember - those foods will always be there and when and if it happens again enjoy it and go back to taking care of yourself. Not good to beat yourself up over it (need to remind myself!) We are so hard on ourselves about not being perfect. You can only do your best. The memories of the taste are ZERO calories and that is marvelous! Be good to yourself
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 181/148.8/129

Height: 5'3"

Haha, I've done that, don't sweat it! Just a minor setback! And everybody needs a cheat day at some point.

Personally, I would just go back to eating like normal and avoid the scale for a bit so I don't freak myself out. Crap happens, keep on chugging up that mountain, lady!
Doomkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #9  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I normally slip at least once a week with a restaurant dinner with friends. The more weight I lose, the more I tend to be invited out. I see it as part of the benefit package of weight loss. Just ride the wave and forget about it.

Last edited by IanG; 03-07-2013 at 09:49 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #10  

Oh sassieangies, HUGS!!! Try not to be so hard on yourself, we have all been there and done that with slip-ups. The only way you could ruin all your hard work is if you didn't come here and talk about it with us.

The way that works for me when I go off my plan is to acknowledge it, put it in my food log on MFP and then get right back on plan immediately. My first instinct is to think I ruined everything too so I might as well eat more. No way, not anymore!!

I totally get that you felt so great not caring what you ate and I know how scary that is!! I have realized that I will always have to care what I ate. Not that I can't have splurges but I have to care. I have lost and gained weight so many times and it's so much easier to gain 50lbs than it is to lose. I'm not saying that will happen to you, just what I think about for myself!

I'm so glad you came here to talk about this. That means you really are committed to yourself and your plan and for a lot of us that is half the battle.

Time to put the tacos and strawberries behind you, it's a whole new day!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Been right there with you......only this has been going on for a week now. I felt like I'd finally learned how to deal with eating out and making good choices, dealing with boredom, loneliness, bad day without going on a binge. But, voila, I've managed to discover a new reason: I had restricted my carb intake too much and felt really lousy -- upset tummy, headaches, weakness, shortness of breath. So I had a meal with more carbs. Started to feel better. Had another meal with still more carbs. You get the drift -- yesterday I had Chinese take out which must have had enough carbs in it to feed a small nation. But, this morning I went to myfitnesspal and figured out a new menu that will allow more carbs but still restrict them and I'll juggle the carbs until I don't have the feeling sick problems any more. Like several have said, we need to just forgive ourselves and move on.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #12  
Weight Shedder

S/C/G: Big/not as big/165

Height: 5'7 1/2"

We've all been there! I went to a buffett and had all-you-can-eat dessert. It was great. I didn't beat myself up about it; rather, I got right back on my "diet" the next day. I think an occasional splurge day is OK--as long as it's just occasionally done, instead of every day.
amilli79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #13  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I sure know how this goes! The key is to recognize that you've slipped a few feet down the mountain path without flinging yourself all the way back to the foot of the mountain. You've recognized it. By coming here and posting, you make it very real. You can't deny it. (It's a great reason for posting regularly!!)

Now make sure that your next meal is on plan. Not tomorrow. Not next week. Your next meal; your next BITE! Don't beat yourself up; it's not worth it. Most people who successfully lose weight and keep it off are not Perfectly On Plan all the time. The statistic I've seen is 80/20.

So think of this as one of your 20% meals, and go right back to staying on plan 80%.

No Guilt And Move On!!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #14  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

sassyangies, it happens to a lot of people. Last night I had pizza and wings for dinner, you know why? Because I wanted them, it's that simple. You know what I'm eating today? Food that puts me back on track.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #15  

Height: 5'8"

I had a major slip-up on Sunday through Tuesday as well and I was seriously alarmed, so I get how it's kind of scary. It was a serious reality check. How did it happen? Why did I stop caring? I have tried so hard to fit into my old clothes again! Was everything going to be lost?

My strategy was to reevaluate my commitment to my new lifestyle and what I want out of my new life. I took some time on Monday and wrote in my journal about what was happening, and why I thought I might be losing motivation on my diet.

What I found was that my slip-up was actually a gradual slacking with looser and looser rules that went over the edge one day (with multiple McDonald's runs--argh).

There were a few reasons why I went over the edge, one of which was that I just didn't feel like keeping track. It is hard to put that much focus and energy into something with consistency.

Go easy on yourself. Think of this as an opportunity to prove to yourself that you are truely committed to weight loss. A slip-up won't derail you if you are determined and forgiving to yourself for being human, in my mind.

I also went to the grocery store and spent some money on healthy foods that I really like, even though they are a little out of my budget, so that I can be full and satisfied with delicious, healthy foods BEFORE I get into tempting situations again.

Good Luck!
Ferny1730 is offline   Reply With Quote