Old 02-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 171/142/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Here's why diabetes + weight loss is tough for me.

When I have a good workout, its wierd usually about 30 or so hours later I get RAVINOUSLY hungry, and my blood sugar drops. I take Lantus 1x per day, and if I didnt workout, my levels, since I eat pretty well, are decent. I have learned that the night after such a workout, I need to eat a decent snack full of protein and some carbs before bed, and it USUALLY works.

Usually is the operative word.

I did an awesome cardio and resistance training workout on Wednesday night. Yesterday I ate well, and Last night I had a snack of fat free cottage cheese and fresh pineapple, with a few almonds mixed in to add to the protein. I woke up at 445 am with a blood sugar level of 72, sweats, shaky, etc. So to compensate that, I had a tangerine and a spoon of Peanut butter, and went back to bed. Woke up at 615, back at 75, same thing. So my DH gave me some OJ and a Special K 90 cal protein bar. Numbers Went up, but now I am spending the day behind the 8 ball. Hungry, but trying not to just carb up. So far today, I am 300 calories over my normal allotment by 9am, not because I am craving crappy foods, but because my body is telling me it needs it, and I MUST LISTEN TO MY BODY.

So... days like today are very frustrating. I try to have a 300-500 calorie deficit every day from what I burn, so that I can try and lose 1/2 pound or so a week. I cant have a calorie deficit today, my body needs it. Days like today remind me that I am not like everyone else, that I cant just starve myself or cut out X types of food because nutritionally, my body needs it and if I dont eat it, my body will let me know in the form of sweats, shakiness, low counts. I listen to my body, and this is why dieting while being an insulin dependent diabetic is so hard. There is no easy way to do it.

sigh. I'm not giving up. I have lost 30 pounds dealing with this since Dec. 2011. I have not gained any of it back, and I am hovering around 2 pounds from goal. 2 measly pounds. 2 pounds that I have to bust my stones to lose. And dont worry friends, it may take me until august to get there, but I WILL GET THERE. My endo is so proud of me and my effort and the nutritionist there is committed to helping me get to my goal, and I am very grateful for that support.

I appreciate you all listening to this rant. I feel weight lifted from my shoulders, just knowing I am not the first, nor the only one, who struggles.
Jonjaxmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Are you Type 2 Diabetes?

Have you talked with your doctor about reducing your dosage? or perhaps seeing if you can be weaned off of it?

It IS possible to control diabetes by diet and exercise and perhaps the medication is just doing too much. It happens with BP drugs too.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #3  
Natasha

S/C/G: 335/272.2/250

hang in there. You can do it. Good for you for not giving up when you had a reason to.
ichoose2believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #4  

Funny, I'm actually what they now call type 1.5
Im an adult who has late onset diabetes. Instead of it manifesting as a child, it developed while pregnant with my children. There is a strong family history of diabetes, and I was "lucky" enough to carry on the family tradition

Call me a round peg in a square hole! Metformin did NOTHING for me! And I tried! On days I dont exercise, the Lantus amt I inject keeps me pretty normal all day and night.

I go to endo in another month. I am hoping he is open to my sliding my amt on the day after workouts and I am sure it will improve. I'd like to avoid short term insulins with meals and injecting 4x a day for as long as is humanly possible. I have already been told that my type of diabetes, it doesnt matter how much I exercise or lose, my pancreas is a bit defective, and methods like what Type 2s can do to reverse their diagnosis is not an option for me. My pancreas makes poor quality insulin, no diet can fix that.

The science experiment continues.

Thanks for your time, Berry. You are right, an adjustment of some sort is in order.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #5  

here is a link to a really good article about Type 1.5 or adult onset juvenile diabetes

http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazin...ada-or-type-15