Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/213/140

Height: 5'5

Default Gaining weight with resistance training... Not sure what to do

I recently started incorporating those resistance bands in my workout for 10-15 mins after 1 hour of Zumba... And I noticed my weight is NOT dropping like before... Could this be because I'm toning muscle? I know it's better to gain muscle because it burns fat all day... It's just really frustrating to see the pounds just staying there or going up a pound or two every couple of days. Am I gaining now, but expected to lose later?

I'm not really sure what to do... Should I go back to strict cardio? And then work on toning muscle once I've dropped a little more weight? The reason I started incorporating resistance bands is so maybe I won't have as much loose skin later on if I start earliar... not sure how true that is though.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Last edited by mellyymel; 02-20-2013 at 11:45 PM.
mellyymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #2  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

My husband decided to lose first then incorporate weights, I have for the most part been doing cardio and weights with a small break of doing weights, because of a medical reason. Someone posted a picture of a girl weighing a decent amount and then one of her weighinv about 5 lbs more after gaining muscle. She looked so much thinner at the higher weight. I would rather be toned and thin myself than just thin. Why don't u try taking measurements, might make u feel better. I am thinking on the long run u will appreciate the results more in the end. I can't wait to gain muscle, going to buy one of those caliper things to check on my progress. Sorry I don't know the actual facts on why I believe it's better, sure we will all differ in opinions but someone will give u more scientific facts soon enough.
Oh if u just started lifting your musles will retain water as they tear. So u might weigh in heavier.

Last edited by chubbiegurl; 02-20-2013 at 11:41 PM.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #3  

I've tried taking measurements before and I feel like I'm never doing it right... I feel like I end up sucking in my stomach too much or vice versa LOL

Did your husband find that he had loose skin after he lost the weight? If he did, was he able to tone it up? I read somewhere you have might have less loose skin if you start toning from the very beginning... not sure though lol

Last edited by mellyymel; 02-20-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 243/220/160

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellyymel View Post
I recently started incorporating those resistance bands in my workout for 10-15 mins after 1 hour of Zumba... And I noticed my weight is NOT dropping like before... Could this be because I'm toning muscle? I know it's better to gain muscle because it burns fat all day... It's just really frustrating to see the pounds just staying there or going up a pound or two every couple of days. Am I gaining now, but expected to lose later?

I'm not really sure what to do... Should I go back to strict cardio? And then work on toning muscle once I've dropped a little more weight? The reason I started incorporating resistance bands is so maybe I won't have as much loose skin later on if I start earliar... not sure how true that is though.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Oh my gosh!! You are just like me with your weight and what is going on and all.. I'm stuck at 220 pounds, it has either went up, or stayed the same for past month in a half, except for 3 pounds maybe.. I've been doing more strength training so hopefully there wont be as much loose skin later but I still want my weight to drop.. I mean it is one of my main goals to reach 150.. but I've been so discouraged lately. All i have to say is don't give up, because I'm having to tell my self the exact same thing. Geesh, sounds so familar .
dmarie92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

You probably aren't gaining muscle. First, that's hard for women to do and doesn't happen quickly. Second, you have to do more weight lifting than resistance training to build muscle, and finally, muscle building happens as much in the kitchen as it does in the gym... you have to eat a specific way to develop muscle.

What's causing your weight stall? No idea. Could be anything. Keep doing what you're doing and it will likely move soon!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #6  
is a persistent thistle

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/133

Height: 5'6"

Incorporating new exercise often means you'll hold on to excess water weight. How long ago was "recently"?
Thistleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 171/142/140

Height: 5'3"

Melly you are telling my story! My weight fluctuates 3 pounds from day to day. I measure, I log, I plan. I workout. Switched to resistance and crossfit training the last 3 weeks, no success.

I'm not giving up. I've noticed my stomach is starting to show some definition. That is a good sign. Please stick with it!
Jonjaxmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #8  

I started the resistance training last Monday... So it's been like a week and a half already... Weighed in this morning after waking up and using the bathroom... SAME EXACT WEIGHT for the past week.

I'm seriously thinking about dropping the resistance bands for a while... But I do notice my arms look a little more toned. Ugh what to do! Why is weight loss such a game?! The whole thing is just confusing.

I was loving how quickly I was dropping lbs with straight cardio. But this now is just beyond frustrating. The scale can be your worst enemy sometimes.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
You probably aren't gaining muscle. First, that's hard for women to do and doesn't happen quickly. Second, you have to do more weight lifting than resistance training to build muscle, and finally, muscle building happens as much in the kitchen as it does in the gym... you have to eat a specific way to develop muscle.

What's causing your weight stall? No idea. Could be anything. Keep doing what you're doing and it will likely move soon!

If you don't tone muscle with resistance bands then what's the point of using them? I've been adding tons of protein at every meal to avoid binges or overeating junk... But ever since I added the resistance bands I haven't lost just gained. LOL ahhh I'm so confused

Last edited by mellyymel; 02-21-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #10  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

The resistance bands will help tone you. There is a difference between "toning" and "gaining" muscle.

Your muscles are holding on to more water right now because they're being used. This will slow your scale progress, but your inches, clothes, strength etc will keep improving. When I added in resistance exercise, I stalled the scale completely for nearly a month, then I saw even faster results.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #11  
is a persistent thistle

Oh, don't give up! A week and a half isn't much time, really. I started lifting weights again several weeks ago and about 3 or 4 weeks in I too was upset that my scale wasn't going. I promised myself 6 weeks and now here I am and the scale is finally moving again! It's great. Just give it a little more time and you'll get to feel awesome and the scale will resume too.

I too am confused about how resistance band work wouldn't build muscle. But ignoring that, you said you're adding more protein at your meals. Have you been adding more calories then as well or just rearranging your macros?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #12  
is a persistent thistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
The resistance bands will help tone you. There is a difference between "toning" and "gaining" muscle.
Actually, there's no such thing as "toning". Check the section titled LIE: Men train, women tone: http://www.stumptuous.com/lies-in-the-gym
Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistleberry View Post
Oh, don't give up! A week and a half isn't much time, really. I started lifting weights again several weeks ago and about 3 or 4 weeks in I too was upset that my scale wasn't going. I promised myself 6 weeks and now here I am and the scale is finally moving again! It's great. Just give it a little more time and you'll get to feel awesome and the scale will resume too.

I too am confused about how resistance band work wouldn't build muscle. But ignoring that, you said you're adding more protein at your meals. Have you been adding more calories then as well or just rearranging your macros?
Thank you ALL for the feed back!!

I have been keeping my calories to 1,500 a day... I've just been making sure to eat protein at every single meal including snacks.

Last edited by mellyymel; 02-21-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #14  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistleberry View Post
Actually, there's no such thing as "toning". Check the section titled LIE: Men train, women tone: http://www.stumptuous.com/lies-in-the-gym
Toning as in shaping and and changing the look of muscle? Yes, you're right, there's no such thing. It's also not what I'm talking about.

Most people consider "toning up" to be strengthening their muscle by use. I don't look "toned" but I am most definitely stronger.

By all means call it whatever you want. The point is, if done properly, resistance training is an important tool that can be worked into exercise and weight loss.

Last edited by Radiojane; 02-21-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #15  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
Your muscles are holding on to more water right now because they're being used. This will slow your scale progress, but your inches, clothes, strength etc will keep improving. When I added in resistance exercise, I stalled the scale completely for nearly a month, then I saw even faster results.
Mellymell - read this post again. Don't stop the resistance bands. Your body is responding and adapting to the new imputs.

Weight training slows weight loss but accelerates fat loss.

Fat is what you want to lose. Forget the short term results of the scale.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote