Old 02-20-2013, 01:26 AM   #1  

Default Gained 40 lbs back after losing 60 lbs after divorce

Hello everyone:

I need help and support SO much right now.

I have struggled with my weight since I was in my 30s and started binging due to stress from working for a nutjob boss. Over the next 15 years I packed on 70 lbs, found out my ex had been having an affair with a co-worker for the last 11 years (found this out in 2009), we split up then I lost 60 lbs in 5 months from the sheer grief of finding out. The only up side to this was I looked better than I had for many years.

I met a lovely man and we are doing great - but I have packed on 40 of the 60 (my body did not like losing weight that quickly and revolted). I am also a terrible emotional eater and am in a horrible cycle of binging and dieting. I just want to stop the binging!!

Now that I am 50 I am finding it very difficult to lose weight so that doesn't help. I would be happy with just losing 1-2 lbs a month!! At least that would be going in the right direction.

I have read so many books, gone to therapists, talked til I'm blue in the face - nothing has helped me stop the emotional binging/overeating (same thing in my opionion, at least for me).

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Maggie
Maggie9190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Welcome, Maggie. The first suggestion I would make is to peruse this site and read a lot of the threads. You'll find a lot of support, ideas, and most importantly for me, motivation. In terms of dieting and losing at our age (and I'm in my 60s), it's a matter of finding what works for you. Throw out whatever the "experts" say because most of what was tried and true dieting advice is not being refuted. And, at a rate of 1-2 pounds a month, you'll be down at the end of the year.

Good luck on your journey. Sounds like you have hit the jackpot with your new guy!
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #3  

Thank you Betsy - just reading about everyone else's struggle certainly lets me know we're all in this together.

You are so right about not listening to the experts - when it comes to losing weight now, everything has changed. There is such a focus on youth out there and we seem to have been forgotten.

Maggie
Maggie9190 is offline   Reply With Quote