Old 02-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 224/202/175

Default Shift Workers???

Okay I don't know if this have been discussed here recently...but for all the shift workers out there (nurses, doctors, other healthcare professionals) How do you make time to get in all your points when sometimes working crazy hours?

I am a nurse, and i work long shifts. Sometimes i have a hard time eating enough while at work and once i get off i am starving i run the risk of over eating.

HELP!
1brwneyebeauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #2  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

I work nights 7p-7a and I work them in a row.
Have enough food for couple of days with me in case I get stuck somewhere I will always have food. I pack veggies raw to eat,packet of tuna (eat right from packet) and shaker bottle for my protein shakes that I can guzzle easily on the run or while charting. Drink tons of water so at beginning of shift I get extra ice that will end up melting and I will drink in between pts and charting.
Red Pepper eat whole like Apple and Cucumber whole and bring a peeler so it's fresh and also case I don't get a chance to eat it !
I try to eat major part on 1 st night before leaving for work or starting work ,so I cut the day at midnight. And count after midnight into the next day,which is totally different how night people truly eat but I find this keeps me on program.
I can have a protein drink for the ride home if need to ..or I eat when I get home.then get up which would be like a lunch and eat lightly and lay back down.
I hope this helps I am a plain eater so this works for me I would not even bother to try to take something that requires more time to eat cuz as you well know you might not be eating till 4-5am sometimes and you would be missing part of your food. Good Luck,Roo2
Oh I forgot a large Black coffee in a thermal cup that can be reheated.
Tea for Ice or Hot Tea too.. I have quite a stash in my Backpack
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I am not currently a shift worker, but I was recently. I had to break down my meals into "mini".... here is an example. Btw, I did this b/c I worked two jobs.... 3rd and first shift.

8am breakfast

12noon lunch

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's

10pm "another breakfast" after sleeping

2am "supper".
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/176/145

Height: 5'8

I am a health care worker and have a tough time getting time to eat. I always pack readty to eat veggies with yogurt dip, fruit, and low fat greek yogurt that I can eat quickly while charting or between clients. I drink a ton of water too which helps. I tend to eat light at work and save more points for one larger meal at home. When I do an over night shift i eat mainly veggies, some fruit and pack the packets of cup of soup that are around 60-90 calories if I need something hot.
BrettnLaurynsmommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/287/140

Height: 5'6

I am a night shift nurse (although starting in march am moving to weekend doubles) and the best thing I have found to do is to pack small quick things to snack on. Try and grab one small thing that you can eat on the run every hour or two. It keeps you going, gives you a little energy boost. It's the only way to find time to eat. I also eat while I am charting on those crazy days (when I graduated nursing school, I never realized that my best friend wouldn't be my stethoscope but instead would be my pen!)

Good luck!
Roxanne - psych nurse
roxannestags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/202/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettnLaurynsmommi View Post
When I do an over night shift i eat mainly veggies, some fruit and pack the packets of cup of soup that are around 60-90 calories if I need something hot.
What types of cup of soups do you get? I have seen them in my local grocery but I was afraid of the sodium. I found that on weeks when i eat alot of salt I lose less.
1brwneyebeauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/176/145

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brwneyebeauti View Post
What types of cup of soups do you get? I have seen them in my local grocery but I was afraid of the sodium. I found that on weeks when i eat alot of salt I lose less.
I usually get the lipton chicken noodle one..I know the sodium content is high, but I seem to add more water than suggested. I don't have them often, but it does fill the need to have something warm. My latest "go to" food is cottage cheese. I used to hate it, but now that I am eating healthier I love the taste, and a half a cup fills me up!

Last edited by BrettnLaurynsmommi; 02-27-2013 at 06:57 AM.
BrettnLaurynsmommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #8  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

I'm not a shift worker, but I work in a hospital and we have WW meetings in the hospital and this topic has come up.

The suggestions they gave was to always have something in your pocket. Maybe a packet of oatmeal, a string cheese, some nuts, a cliff bar, etc. Things that are easy/quick to eat.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #9  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Reading this I feel like I'm the only one that eats too much on nights. Especially on my 12 hour nights, I feel like all I want to do is eat eat eat. I eat on the halls so that I can workout on my breaks. Most our nurses will eat at the nurses station during the shift. I really like my schedule now because I can prepare for my 12s. Previously we would be mandatoried in the mornings randomly which always screwed up my diet. During those times I'd keep an extra protein shake in my bag. I keep emergency snacks in my bag like oatmeal and fiber bars.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote