Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 10:06 AM   #1  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Unhappy excersising

I can never spell it right but regardless, I wanted to know what excersises you all do.

I can't get motivated, and need help. What was your excersising epiphany point that got you started [and keeps you going?]

I've had a bike siting in my living room for a week now. It's so weird but I am scared to bike alone. My partner has not gotten one yet. And I will prolly look like a dork with a helmet on!

It's been raining for a week straight. Last night I played softball, but didn't work up a sweat.

I figure on Saturday, I will bike to my partner's restaurant and as an incentive (it's about 3 miles away), I will eat lunch/dinner there [Mexican]. But that's Saturday. I want to walk, but I can't wake up early enough and when I come home, I am exhauseted. I can't find it in me, which depresses me.

What can I do indoors when it's raining? I can't afford equipment. I hate tapes.

Thanks yet again!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2003, 10:22 AM   #2  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

Just doing normal lunges without weights provides a pretty good toning work out - if you want more resistance you can hold a gallon of milk or water - water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon - if my memory from fluid mechanics class serves...

lunging with one or two of these would be a pretty good work out

for your arms, push-ups are good for the chest area...you can also do dips off the edge of your couch

as far as cardio goes, i don't know of a whole lot of non-tape cardio routines or those that don't require any equipment. but, if you do your resistance training without much rest, your heart rate will stay up and it will almost be like a circuit training routine.

If you really want indoor equipment, I would suggest trying the thrifty nickel or Ebay for good used equipment - you can probably get a treadmill for less than $100 going that route

hope this helps!!
Old 05-13-2003, 12:25 PM   #3  
12 pounds lost in 2006

There are a bunch of things you can do while at home. You can try leg lifts, squats, jumping rope, running in place, jumping jacks, sit-ups, push ups, etc. A lot of these exercises you can do while watching television if you get bored. Also, sometimes during commercials I just walk around the house. Your exercising time really increases when doing this. Say for instance if you watch a 2 hour movie just think about how many commercials there are. Hope this info. helps
Old 05-13-2003, 12:30 PM   #4  

Well.. eventually you will see that exercising will help you lose the weight faster.. and also be more forgiving when you go off plan..
But it will take awhile to see the results..

I joined a gym.. which if I don't go I (beside feeling crappy) feel guilty about wasting money

But if going to a gym is not an option... Emily is right about thrifty nickel. My parents picked up a nice treadmill for 200 bucks (it was worth over twice that).

Some other ideas, get some workout videos? I know Monique has had great success with them.. she could suggest some. But you said you hate tapes.. soo. hmm.

The exercises I do at home are situps, pushups, and I have some handweights. But I usually just do that all at the gym now.

I guess the bottom line is to just get up the courage to go without your partner and build a habit. Its going to be hard but worth it. And you could always walk in the rain
Old 05-13-2003, 12:45 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky13
Just doing normal lunges without weights provides a pretty good toning work out - if you want more resistance you can hold a gallon of milk or water - water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon - if my memory from fluid mechanics class serves...

lunging with one or two of these would be a pretty good work out

for your arms, push-ups are good for the chest area...you can also do dips off the edge of your couch

as far as cardio goes, i don't know of a whole lot of non-tape cardio routines or those that don't require any equipment. but, if you do your resistance training without much rest, your heart rate will stay up and it will almost be like a circuit training routine.

If you really want indoor equipment, I would suggest trying the thrifty nickel or Ebay for good used equipment - you can probably get a treadmill for less than $100 going that route

hope this helps!!
thanks but that seems way advanced for me. I can hardly get up let alone do push ups. And If I buy off ebay, that means I would have to go pick up. My car does not ft such things and I have no cash to go rent a truck.

But thanks.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:33 PM   #6  

Jeanne,

Could you not go for walks on your lunch break?

I bring my umbrella and head down by the river for a brisk walk when I am unable to go to the gym. I must say that it makes me feel more alert and productive at work in the afternoon. Also it is dirt cheap....all you need is a decent umbrella or rain coat.

I also was intimidated to exercise on my own in the beginning. As a matter of fact, I cried before I started my first aquafit course, I was so intimidated and overwhelmed. I can't say that I now get excited about going to exercise...but I don't mind doing it on my own at all! Once you go the first time...you will see that it is not as intimidating as you had envisioned. There are certainly endorphines and pride that kick in when you have pushed yourself outside of your comfort level.

I guess the point is....when you are ready to exercise, you will. It took me a few months to work up the courage. Maybe you need to break it down into smaller steps. A walk (even in the rain) could be a good place to start.

There are also a lot of good web-sites that can teach you how to use hand weights and do lunges, jumping jacks, push ups, etc. Don't expect that you are going to start doing them with no problem....it might take a while to build up to being comfortable enough to do a correct push-up, or two, but that is the whole point of exercising...Everybody has that awkward, not so graceful or natural period when they start exercising (heck...I'm so clumsy, I'm still in my 'awkward' phase of exercising!).

Good luck to you...

Kris
261-188-155
Old 05-13-2003, 03:31 PM   #7  

Kris - My last final is in less than 24 hours. I wish it was over though. Umm actually school really isn't over for me. I am a graduate student.. so even though I will have no classes this summer, I will be working on my research/thesis. I wont be graduating til next Spring.

So I did not exercise last night (too tired) and I won't til Wednesday. But thats ok.

The OP gods are watching over me. I went down to the "evil" vending machine to get a Reeses Peanut Butter cup. I was craving chocolate so bad. I put my money in and watched it turn to dispense.. and then it got stuck. I tried to get it to fall down.. but no luck. So the OP gods prevented me from making a mistake. I'm not sure if I am happy about it or not
Old 05-13-2003, 03:40 PM   #8  

Arrow walking at lunch

Quote:
Originally posted by looosingit
Jeanne,

Could you not go for walks on your lunch break?
It's Jenn, and sadly, no. I tried that twice. I get too sweaty. i work in a prim and proper govt job and have no shower or gym here or anything. I mean, I sweat walking down a flight of stairs for cripes sake!

I know it sounds like I am making excuses. And maybe I am.

I think I am going to stick to the original plan of biking on the weekend to lunch and walking around here (DC) after work 3 times a week. Plus softball. Should make for a good start.

It is overwhelming, as is everything else in my frikkin' life right now. Grrrr...

Old 05-14-2003, 10:58 AM   #9  

Jenne--come walking with me! I work down in the Farragut West/Dupont/Foggy Bottom area and make my way walking all over the place! Seriously, if you want a walking partner, let me know!
Closed Thread