Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 02-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #1  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Red face What is the Average Ring Size?

Apparently the average ring size is a seven? Or at least, that's the size the jewelry stores seem to stock so that's why I'm making the assumption. And what size do you guys wear?

At my high school, we ordered our class rings when we were freshmen so we could enjoy having them for all four years of school. Most girls at my school had them fitted for the ring finger of their right hand (saving the left for future engagement/weddig rings, lol) and I did the same. And as a 250-pound 14-year-old, I wore a size 10 ring! Even though my fingers were obviously chubby like the rest of me, I was often told I was "big boned" and should never have hope for wearing an "average" size even if I did lose the weight.

Not sure where I was at my highest weight of 360, but I don't think I ever got any larger than a ten (and to be fair, I was taller and differently proportioned as an adult). And as I began to lose, I became ecstatic when I got down to a nine and eventually an eight (which is what my bridal set is).

Now that I'm down around 220, I am just utterly amazed that I can walk out of an expensive jewelry store with a ring on the same day of purchase, no resizing necessary (hubby took me shopping for my birthday this weekend). I never dreamed I'd be a seven when I'm still a good 70 pounds over my goal weight! I'm wondering what size I'll end up getting down to, as the sevens are already getting loose. I'm choosing to hold off on resizing my bridal set until my weight stabilizes much closer to goal..

So I'm just wondering if sevens have always been the "standard" size at jewelry stores, if it's always been the most popular size ordered. I remember when I was much younger and would go shopping for cheap rings at places like Walmart, Kmart, Target, Claire's, etc., that it was nearly impossible to find any rings higher than a size eight, and even eights were typically labeled as "thumb rings." Now it's common to find nines and tens in designs also available in the smaller, seemingly "standard" sizes. Is it because there's more of a market for them now than there was back in the 1990's? I sort of find it amusing that I couldn't find any of the bigger sizes when I actually needed them, lol . . . but I am happy to see there are more options available now.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #2  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

7 is average, meaning that half of women are that size or below, and half are that size or higher.

Also, most rings can only be easily sized up or down 2 sizes. So stocking rings in size 7 means you'll be able to size it for people from a 5 to 9, which is probably going to cover 80% of women, maybe more.

Cheap rings can't really be sized, so that's why they are more likely to carry more of an assortment of sizes.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

People's fingers are different too. Some people never change ring sizes with gaining and losing weight as their knuckles were the problem with getting a ring on and off the finger - so when the fleshy part of the finger goes up and down, it's not enough to change the ring size as knuckles stay about the same size (until arthritis sets in for some).

For me, I have fleshy fingers. I got up to a 9. When I weighed what I do now when I got married, I needed a 7 (plus a wee bit of stretching immediately afteward to not quite a 7.5). But now? i need a 6.5. How are my fingers less fleshy at the same weight? more muscle elsewhere and less fat? I have no idea. Or maybe our hands just get less fleshy as we age (I got married 19.5 years ago).
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

My fingers have always been on the small size, when compared to the rest of my body. I got engaged last May when I was around 195 pounds. My ring size was a 6.5. It still fit when I gained about 15 pounds but now that I'm losing weight, I'm worried it's going to be too big for me. I'm just less than 190 now and it's quite a bit looser than when it was purchased.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #5  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

Right now I am an 8.5, when I am not this big I wear a 7.5

Last edited by Avezy44; 02-18-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/166/145

Height: 5'4"

I wear a 5-6 depending on my weight. My DD who is 5'7" and about 125 lbs. wears a 9.
Jennifer1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #7  

I think I could wear an 8 now if I didn't have knuckles.

My fingers have always been big, except I still have some rings from high school and those are 7s (only fit my pinky!).

I think the jeweler was shocked when I said I needed my engagement ring (and wedding ring afterwards) made into a size 10. It was the same size as my husband's ring, even though my hands don't look anything like his. I also keep my nails real long to lengthen my fingers.

Still stressing about bringing my rings to get fixed after I cut them off for surgery. I never had a bad experience with a jeweler but there is always a first and I'm afraid to look paranoid to the jeweler. But I miss wearing my rings.

Last edited by elvislover324; 02-18-2013 at 05:55 PM.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 188/188/100

Height: 4'11"

Don't think my ring size has changed from my lowest weight versus highest weight. Right hand ring finger has always been a size 5.5. Left hand ring finger is a size 5.
tiawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

My rings are a size 4....I got them 20 years ago and just fit back into them last year after a 5 year hiatus!
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #10  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I'm the exception here I think.
I've worn a size 9 or 10 (ring finger) since high school, regardless of my weight (145 to 242lbs). The only time my rings do not fit at all is while pregnant.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #11  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

I wear a size 5 ring. I have small hands.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 187/180/150

Height: 5'10''

I have tiny fingers, especially given my height. I don't have any rings on my ring fingers, partially because I'm single and partially because the rings I do own are family heirlooms and they're all way too big. I wear size 5 rings on my middle finger, and a size 7 on my thumb. However, the thumb ring occasionally feels a little big. I hope my fingers don't shrink much or I'll have problems!
synchrojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #13  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

i wear a size 6 ring and i have always fit that size regardless of weight....now i'm at the lowest weight ive seen in my adult life and my ring is getting a tad bit loose but nowhere near where i'd be worried about it falling off...my hands have always been small and i've never accumulated fat on them, no matter what weight...in fact i dont remember that being an issue with pregnancy either (or maybe i wasnt wearing rings then, i'm not sure now)
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #14  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Thanks, it's interesting to read all the responses.

Yeah, I do understand that cheaper rings aren't worth resizing (if they can be bothered with at all), which is why they're available in more sizes. I just find it interesting that it's easier to find them in larger sizes now since it was next to impossible when I was younger.

It's funny . . . my feet, toes, and ankles have never had an ounce of fat on them, but my hands, fingers, and wrists are a completely different story. It's been mind-boggling to watch them go down as much as they have as it's something I never expected. I had trouble finding both watches and rings that would fit me back when I was a teenager and in my 20's because I definitely carried excess fat in those areas. I eventually stopped bothering to look, settling on a birthstone ring from Shopko that I'd had them resize back in the day (and a relatively cheap Walmart engagement ring from my ex). I remember the sales lady was even hesitant to give it to me once it came in because she thought it needed to go up yet another size!

The new ring I got for my birthday just this weekend? It was meant for the ring finger of my right hand. It's already loose and fits well on my middle finger. I'm debating on whether or not I should get it resized already . . . I'd have never believed I'd lose 4 ring sizes when I'm only two-thirds of the way to my goal. And my fingers never used to overlap when wrapping around my wrist . . . apparently I'm not big-boned like everyone used to say . . .

I thankfully managed to hold on to my mother's emerald ring, and it's probably an eleven. I'd love to get that resized and actually be able to wear it once I'm at goal.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #15  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elladorine View Post
I thankfully managed to hold on to my mother's emerald ring, and it's probably an eleven. I'd love to get that resized and actually be able to wear it once I'm at goal.
You might want to consider having a jeweler remake your Mom's ring into a pendant, perhaps. It won't be easy to resize an 11 to fit your smaller fingers. I saw a show on redesigning jewelry instead of selling pieces for scrap, and it's not as expensive as you would think because all of the material is already provided.

I'll add that I have always had small hands -- even at 350 lbs, they were fat little hands. ha! I recently sold some clothes on ebay, and took photos to post in the ads, and I didn't recognize the hands in the photos. Fascinating! My rings from childhood fit, now. In fact, some are even too big for the index finger.

Funny, I remember that my Mom, who has large hands, bought me a beautiful ring in Jr. High (size 8) thinking I'd grow into it. ha! I never have. It's had a spacer on it to size it down since I received it. Maybe it's time to have that one officially resized! I don't think I'm going to grow any more!

Last edited by AwShucks; 03-05-2013 at 11:13 PM.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote