Old 02-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 249/241/130

Height: 5'2

Default Tweaking the Atkins Plan to maximize weightloss

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking here for the last few weeks since restarting Atkins, and have a question. When I did Atkins for the 1st time in 2005 I lost weight relatively easily and especially during induction.

I restarted this way of eating about two weeks ago and it has been slow going. I cheated the day of the Superbowl with some low-carb tortilla chips and that snowballed into a major sugar binge on Monday. I snapped out of my sugar induced coma and immediately recommitted to doing a clean induction. Since last Tuesday I have only lost 2lbs and while I will take what I can get I am wondering what tweaks I might make to speed up weight loss?

ftcollinsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #2  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Am I understanding your post correctly that you have lost 2lbs in the last week? If so, then expecting to lose more than that is probably unrealistic... and even the expectation of losing 2lbs each week is usually unrealistic long term...

But as far as "tweaks" I woudn't recommend anything other than just following the plan as laid out in DANDR since you are losing weight with it, even if it's not as fast as you would like... Trust me... No one loses weight as fast as they would like...

But if you are truly not happy with the results that you are getting than perhaps a more restrictive program such as the various PSMF's might be worth looking into...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #3  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Hello to you. I too have done Atkins in the past and have lost alot of weight in my younger years (must have been jiggling and twitching alot more). I am finding this time with Atkins (I started Jan 6) that it is slow going even being stringent. I am averaging about 1 lb a week and I have 130+ to lose. In my case I think it is my age - 54 - and I am not working at this time (not as much stress in my life - thank God for unemployment and family) so that is why the scale is not as fast as it had been in the past for me. Probably avoiding any sugar alcohols will help and exercising. Sometimes we think that we are doing enough... but maybe need to do more. But it does work. I have gotten 15 1/2 down since 1/6 and that is so much better than where I was.

Keep positive and follow that plan as best you can and it will show up Faith!

Have a great day and good for you to start. That is the hardest thing to do!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

What is your menu for an average day on Atkins?
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #5  

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.
@Tripswitch- I had never heard of PSMF, I will look into it.
@wannaskipandlaugh-woohoo on being down 15.6!
@JerseyGirl - Here is menu for most days, although I do sometimes change up the protein for dinner.

Breakfast -6oz Sirloin ( I hate eggs) cooked in butter
Lunch - 2 Cups of Salad - Lettuce, Cucumber, Tomato, 2 oz of cheese, 3 slices of ham and turkey Olive Oil and Vinegar for dressing
Snack- Pepperoni Stick or a SF Jello
Dinner- Chicken Thighs with Skin

I am also drinking 5-6 cups of herbal tea and over a gallon of water a day.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftcollinsmama View Post
@JerseyGirl - Here is menu for most days, although I do sometimes change up the protein for dinner.

Breakfast -6oz Sirloin ( I hate eggs) cooked in butter
Lunch - 2 Cups of Salad - Lettuce, Cucumber, Tomato, 2 oz of cheese, 3 slices of ham and turkey Olive Oil and Vinegar for dressing
Snack- Pepperoni Stick or a SF Jello
Dinner- Chicken Thighs with Skin

I am also drinking 5-6 cups of herbal tea and over a gallon of water a day.
JMHO, you might want to consider adding more veggies. Atkins Induction is 20 net carbs per day with 12-15 of those carbs coming from veggies on the acceptable foods list.

You may also want to be mindful of the pepperoni stick & the SF Jello. Some people have issues with sodium causing them to retain water. Most SF Jello (unless you are making your own) contains aspertame, which causes most people to stall (as well as being extremely unhealthy).

My suggestion is to add a green veggie with dinner and/or a small salad. If you are drinking herbal tea with any type of sweetener, that could also be an issue.

Hope this helps.

All the best to you

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #7  

@jerseygirl - Thanks, I will eliminate the pepperoni stick and sf jello, luckily I don't use sweetner in my tea, I weaned myself about a year ago, and I am so glad I did.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 187/187/140

Height: 5ft4.5in

I don't lose as fast as I did the first time around either. My problem is I got older and had a hysterectomy (which I think messed up my metabolism). I have lost weight slowly, but I'm looking at it for the long haul---better slow and steady than none at all.
BrenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #9  

I had a partial hysterectomy last February, I never connected that that may be a reason for slower weight loss. I still have bloating in my belly area a year later, so I probably retain water because of it.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #10  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

tCollinsmama... I have to amend my 1st statement. The first 2 weeks I had a loss of 10 lbs.. (The water Whosh as they say) so the last 3+ weeks have been slow. But that is the way that good weight loss programs should work. It gives your body time to get accustomed to a lower weight. and that old saying (in most lb gaining scenerios) it took awhile to gain it... it should take alittle while to lose it. But I agree.. it would be great if it was just a scooch faster

Keep with it and at the end of the week... your scale will reward you..... OR the clothes will show it!!!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote