Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Exclamation Im posting here because i dont know where else to turn.

Hey All,

I have been a member on this board for a couple of years now and now Im posting here, because I dont know where to turn anymore. I started my journey at 315 pounds being my heighest wait. I never used to be that big. In fact, I was originally 265 when i got on this board, but my weight has just gone up and up. Im feeling frustrated because i feel like i have tried every diet under the sun.

I have tried in order starting with the first one: Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach, Slim-fast, Nutridiet, Lemonade Diet, Rice Diet, Starving myself, Dukan Diet IP diet and now Im basically feeling completely hopeless.

Atkins-too high in fat, made me feel sick all the time
South Beach-Liked it but didnt see much of a result
Weight Watchers-Too hard to count points, too easy to binge on unhealthy foods
IP -restrictive, it worked. I lost 40 pounds, but i have gone back to it and now my body doesnt seem to want to lose weight on it.

These are the three main ones i have taken a shot at multiple times and it seems like no matter how hard i try..it never lasts and i never get to my goal.

Im not asking for pity here and telling me that im too lazy or that i just need to "stick with it" , isnt going to help me either. I am stuck. Here is why i am stuck.

South Beach- i actually loved the food and could exercise all i wanted but it took a longer time to get the weight off.

IP-so restrictive in calories that im only supposed to burn on average 100 calories. I like to run/walk and i burn 200 calories in half an hour...and i want to do more exercise then that.. but im not sure if its safe anymore?

Any thoughts?? insights?

I dont need my butt kicked just so you know..Ive been kicking my butt all i can..and my butt and legs still arent thin.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #2  

Welcome back to 3FC. Sorry to hear about all your struggles with weightloss, I have been there and done that so I totally understand.

Have you thought about seeing a nutritionist for some guidance? After all the diet plans I tried (and failed eventually), this is the best thing I could have ever done for myself. I am learning how to eat (and lose weight!) for the rest of my life, not just the "honeymoon" phase of weightloss.

I wish you lots of luck, I hope you find something that works for you.

Last edited by elvislover324; 02-10-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: typo
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #3  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthardygurl View Post
Im feeling frustrated because i feel like i have tried every diet under the sun.

I have tried in order starting with the first one: Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach, Slim-fast, Nutridiet, Lemonade Diet, Rice Diet, Starving myself, Dukan Diet IP diet and now Im basically feeling completely hopeless.

Any thoughts??
Yes, don't go on a diet go on a permanent lifestyle change. Some people will disagree but I feel diets are more counter-productive than anything. As soon as the diet is over and you go back to eating "normal" you will regain all that was lost +. Calorie counting is the most effective way to lose weight and easiest to stick with because you're not really restricted from anything, just have to eat within your allowance. Even better if you add some daily exercise at least 4-5 days a week.

Last edited by novangel; 02-10-2013 at 04:00 PM.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

You've been around long enough to know there is no magic diet - though you've tried several that that claim to be so.

I don't believe you could possibly follow the IP diet protocol and not have it work for you. In theory there are some rare autoimmune diseases or medications that could make it practically impossible to lose weight but since you have already lost 40 lbs previously I don't think it is a medical issue.

In my opinion you need to get professional help from a person you can see on a regular basis that will hold you accountable. If this is not in the budget, there are FA (food addicts) groups and perhaps there is one locally. If you have any kind of previous abuse in your life you may also want to seek psychological help. Esteem is a tiered aproach and if you don't feel worthy of love than the obesity may just be a manifestation of what is going on in your head.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 157/157/120

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
Yes, don't go on a diet go on a permanent lifestyle change. Some people will disagree but I feel diets are more counter-productive than anything. As soon as the diet is over and you go back to eating "normal" you will regain all that was lost +. Calorie counting is the most effective way to lose weight and easiest to stick with because you're not really restricted from anything, just have to eat within your allowance. Even better if you add some daily exercise at least 4-5 days a week.
Agree. I saw a pin on Pinterest recently that said "It's a lifestyle change. Not a 12-week eating plan." That really resonated with me.

OP, I've done WW in the past and agree with you. I love love love LoseIt.com and my FitBit One. That combo is working very well for me and I really don't feel like I'm on a diet. I just eat a little bit less of the same foods and tracking what I eat helps me make better choices.
emurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

First, maybe you get some hormone tests to make sure there is no underlying medical issue.

If there isn't, maybe it is time to get some help. I finally gave in and got help for my binging problems and it has truly been a lifesaver. Sounds like you might be able to utilize some help with the emotional side of food...and there's nothing wrong with that.

Ultimately, you must find something that you can stick with long-term, whether it is calorie counting, Weight Watchers, intuitive eating, etc. There is no magic pill, only determination, patience, and hard work. Exercise can be a big factor too, which can help with improving metabolism (particularly muscle building activities).

Good luck.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #7  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

Porthardygurl~ First, welcome back!
Second, I started my journey here at 245 almost five years ago and recently started again at 286. I completely understand how frustrating of a process this is!

elvislover324 made a great suggestion in terms of setting up an appointment with your nutritionist. While I have not tried Atkins or South Beach as I know I would really struggle to omit some of the foods, I have tried Weight Watchers a few times. It worked for a while and then didn't... Unfortunately one of the biggest (if not the biggest) challenges is finding something that works for you. Personally I've found luck in calorie counting as I can still eat what I would like... I just have to make sure I plan accordingly if I really want something like pizza...

Best of luck!
KimL1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #8  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Welcome back Porthardygurl! I remember you from the Dukan thread and I'm sorry you are feeling up against the wall now.

I think the suggestion of talking to a nutritionist is a good one, but I also had a question about South Beach Diet. In one place you say that you liked it but that you didn't lose on it, in another place you say you didn't lose quickly. I agree it's motivating to lose more quickly and of course, we all want to get to "the end" - whatever that is - as soon as we can. But I also agree with those who are saying you need to think about this as a life change and not a "diet." And maybe it's better to focus on leading a healthy lifestyle and less on the scale.

And in the end, it doesn't really matter how long it takes to get weight off, sticking with whatever diet you choose to follow is what is going to get the weight off, and more importantly, help you keep it off. But no plan is going to do that overnight and no plan is going to keep the weight off if you don't keep following it. I think South Beach is a healthy way of eating and if you are happy on it, then that is the main thing that will let you stick with it, and that is what will get you where you want to be, and keep you there.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #9  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

What's the longest you stayed with any one program? The reason I ask is from looking at your ticker it looks like you want to lose 100lbs... That's going to take some time... maybe 2 years... not saying it can't be done quicker... maybe a year... but it could take longer... So being prepared for that and the ongoing long term commitment that's involved is something that you'll need to feel comfortable with... regardless of how you chose to do it...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #10  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Why not just start with some small steps?

Maybe today you say, "I'm going to eat under 2000 calories of anything I want and log it." If you can do that for one day, maybe you can do it for a week - or 2?

I never did well on any specific "plans". They were all too restrictive in types of food I could have. I found that plain old calorie counting allowed me enough freedom to eat the types of food I wanted which enabled me to stay on track over the long haul. I don't know if that would work for you, but it's worked for many here.

Last edited by Vex; 02-10-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

I lost a lot of weight by going on a gluten-free/dairy free diet. I wasn't very strict about it, I would go out to eat about 3 to 4 times a week and I would order healthy but not gluten-free/dairy-free. Following this diet about 2/3 of the time worked well for me. I did really well on the Sonoma Diet but I found it sort of expensive for my income, the Sonoma diet is more of a lifestyle change, you won't feel deprived of any of the foods you love it's just about making better choices!
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #12  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

Welcome back!! It's great that you're here.

Since you enjoy exercising, I think you should find a plan that won't limit that. Exercise is not the number one component in weight loss, but it's definitely a mood lifter and don't we all need that?

Since you like the food on SB, why not give it another try? You say you lose slowly..how slowly? Could you try eating SB foods but also counting calories so you have an idea of where you're at?

I think you should make a promise to yourself right now - this is YOUR thread and you'll post here every day and let us know how you're doing, and we'll be here to cheer you on. I have been on and off these boards for a long time and when I post daily I am much more successful.

Looking forward to seeing lots more posts from you!
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Baby steps to a life style change, it is a slow process sometimes and gets very frustrating. Can't think of it as a diet! Instead it has to be a permanent change, something you are willing to stick with for life.

Do you have a food journal? Not just to count the calories but to record your habits with food.
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I'm another one for calorie counting, however if you found counting WW points too hard, this isn't going to be any easier.

Having said that, it's your health and your life. It may take a bit of work to get back on track, but you are worth that time. Maybe you can plan meals once for the whole week so it's not something you have to keep track of constantly. I use myfitnesspal.com and it takes about a minute to log everything after each meal. A bit more if I have to add my own food, but it doesn't take a ton of time.

I wish you a lot of luck.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #15  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Maybe try analyzing all the diets you've tried. In what ways were they alike? In what was were they different? What did you like? What did you dislike? How did you feel physically on each diet? How did you feel emotionally on each one? Perhaps by doing this you can customize your own personal diet using a few principles from each of the ones that you've tried and apply them in a way that you enjoy and that make you feel great.

It sounds rather complicated but it really is a great way to get in tune with yourself, which is a key component of losing weight and keeping it off. You have to understand your metabolism and your relationship with food.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote