Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #1  

Red face Where to start?

Hello everyone.
I'm wanting to lose weight (badly) and I'm not sure where to start. I've done a number of different things in the past [NutriSystem, South Beach, anorexia] and I always seem to regain what I lost. My best loss was 45 pounds and it stayed off for 2 years. I worked an extremely stressful job and ended up gaining 60. So that pretty much sucked.

Right now, I am unemployed [hoping I win my unemployment case!!] so I have a lot of free time. Which lately has included sleeping in and not eating anything til around 4ish. I've already ditched regular soda for diet, and then I'm hoping to give it up altogether.

So anyway, right now I'm about 285. I would like to drop the 85, maybe more. I'm five-nine, so people don't noticed I'm that heavy when I tell them, but I feel so uncomfortable in my own skin.

I also take medication for anxiety and bipolar, but I was told that lamotrigine can decrease your appetite. I haven't noticed my eating habits have changed much in terms of what it is or how much it is. I think it's the stress of the last 2 years at that shitty job.

Any help and tips are much appreciated.

Phoebe
ReginaPhalange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/160/145

Height: 5'4"

Have you ever thought of giving CrossFit a try? I have not stuck to ANY exercise plan in over 14 years!! This is the ONLY thing that is working for me. I recently started The Zone diet- since you have time on your hands you might want to give crossfit a try. ANYONE can do crossfit. The workouts are short (typically 20-30 minutes) and they are scaled to work for you. There are a lot of exercises that I can not do, so I do something else to build strength so I could eventually do that exercise.
I have lost 18 pounds in 5 1/2 months. It doesn't seem like a lot, but my pant size is 3 sizes smaller.
If you want more information about crossfit and the zone, send me a message and I will get you more information.
tonyamartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #3  
Cindy

S/C/G: 219/see ticker/136

Height: 5'6"

You can start with small but impactful changes, like adding a fruit or vegetable to every meal, or dropping those sodas altogether in favor of water, or walking 10 minutes a day. There are lots of small steps that, when taken together, can add up to big change. Maybe incorporate one per week, and meanwhile continue hanging out here and reading other tips and tricks and getting motivation. Good luck!
forkeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #4  
Life is about balance

S/C/G: 283/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi there

I am Bipolar and take lamictol plus a lot of other things. I've recently (last 3 years) lost 100lbs. I do low carb dieting (shrink recommended it because it helps with 'vices' which can affect mood swings). But I think if you find a life style (diet) that you like and really work with, things do move. I was on a cane till last year (I occassionally need it still) but as far as moving, I don't do anything vigorous because I literally can't (I have MD and ligament trouble). I started out 30 minute walks on flat even ground with a cane. I dropped 40 pounds the first year. I'll admit my diet is severe (I also have Celiac's Disease so I am on a very low carb diet), but with the drop in weight I began doing the hilly roadside in my neighborhood. It's possible, even on medications. And the proper eating and exercise helps a boatload when it comes to Bipolar.

Good luck.
mamakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 427/412/240

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkeeps View Post
You can start with small but impactful changes, like adding a fruit or vegetable to every meal, or dropping those sodas altogether in favor of water, or walking 10 minutes a day. There are lots of small steps that, when taken together, can add up to big change. Maybe incorporate one per week, and meanwhile continue hanging out here and reading other tips and tricks and getting motivation. Good luck!
Great advice. This is what I did as well. Something about the High Fructose Corn Syrup in sodas and most fruit punches encourages weight gain. I cut those out, added more water, more fruit, more vegetables, and less meat.

A lifestyle change is really the only thing that works for long term weight loss if you don't want to have an invasive surgery. Good luck on your journey.
427pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #6  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Welcome! I love your screen name!

It takes a lot of trial and error, at least it has for me. Just start out making the changes you can and go from there! I like calorie counting and use myfitnesspal.com, it's free. Calorie counting allows me the flexibility to eat whatever (though I do try and eat the most nourishing foods possible when I can), I could never and have never stuck to anything that eliminated the foods I love. Of course, everything in moderation which is my struggle.

The main thing I've found is it does NOT take perfection, only persistence and commitment!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

You have to start somewhere, so pick one thing, and focus on that. When that becomes routine, pick another, and so on.

To be long term successful, depends on finding what works for you. You might start with eating healthy breakfast, and the next thing might be to stop being OC about how your hair is done.

One thing at a time!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote