Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #1  

Default How to keep at it when you feel hopeless?

I've been 150 pounds for a few years, and I really want to lose it. I changed my diet, work out every day, but I constantly have that voice in the back of my mind telling me it's never going to work. How do you keep yourself positive when you weigh yourself everyday or see your body and feel disgusted?

:/
Ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #2  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

You weigh 150? How tall are you? How fit are you? How old are you? There's no way that you're disgusting. How much do you want to lose? At your weight self-acceptance would suit you much better.

Finally, check your scale.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostMe View Post
You weigh 150? How tall are you? How fit are you? How old are you? There's no way that you're disgusting. How much do you want to lose? At your weight self-acceptance would suit you much better.

Finally, check your scale.
4'11", yes I weigh 150. I'm not fit at all, my arms are a little fit and small from the rest of my body. I'm 18 years old. I want to lose 50 pounds :/.

Yeah, I used to be accepting that I weigh 150 and I can change it, but lately I've been doing TV news for my college and I just now see how badly I really look in the camera with my body.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #4  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Ugh, 3FC ate my post and I don't have enough time to re-type the whole thing so I'll just make it short and sweet.

You have to ignore that voice and just keep going. I know it is easier said than done but you have to believe that you are worth it and that it will work this time. Some degree of you must believe that because you are working at eating better and exercise. Measure yourself whenever you can even if the scale does say you are losing. I understand why you may feel" disgusted" at 150 being very short but don't be too hard on yourself, I am sure you are still beautiful regardless.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #5  
Trying for normal

Here's a trick that sometimes works for me. When you tell yourself you're disgusting - give that inner critical voice a really funny, squeaky accent. It becomes harder to take those messages seriously.

OK, you're not so tall, so 150 might be a bit much for you. BUT if you're working out every day you should be gaining fitness. Are you exercising for fun or are you exercising to lose weight? I ask because you should really be doing something super fun that makes you want to get fit for the sake of doing that fun thing better...like I dunno, kayaking or running or field hockey or dance - there must be tons of clubs at your college. Exercising to lose weight is a waste. Exercise to be healthy and happy.

Then just try to eat better. Don't starve. Don't do weird stuff. Just eat better and try to enjoy your food as much as you can.

But whatever you do, please don't hate on yourself. I remember seeing myself on video when I was about your age and just hating on myself. I mean I couldn't be in the room. And you know what - I wasn't one of those skinny little things, but when I see pics of myself back then - I DID NOT LOOK BAD!!! It was only after engaging in an endless spiral of dieting and re-gaining that I really started to pack on the pounds. Nobody hated the way I looked on video except for me.

Honestly this should be one of the best times of your life and I URGE you to enjoy it and to enjoy your body and to move it because of the joy of moving it.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/156/120

Height: 4'11"

Have you seen a doctor to determine if something may be keeping you from loosing weight? Being 4'11" myself I can relate to how you feel about the extra pounds, I am at about 156.6 last time I weighed myself. I have tried before to lose weight and got down to 135 but my hormones are all screwy and I ended up quitting and gaining the weight back. You say your diet has changed but are you making sure your eating enough? Not eating enough can be detrimental to weight loss. Even then sometimes the struggle takes time, are you just weighing yourself? If so you really should measure yourself to check progress, as it is not always about the lbs you loose at first but rather the inches and then eventually the pounds start going too.
hiddenlegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
Ugh, 3FC ate my post and I don't have enough time to re-type the whole thing so I'll just make it short and sweet.

You have to ignore that voice and just keep going. I know it is easier said than done but you have to believe that you are worth it and that it will work this time. Some degree of you must believe that because you are working at eating better and exercise. Measure yourself whenever you can even if the scale does say you are losing. I understand why you may feel" disgusted" at 150 being very short but don't be too hard on yourself, I am sure you are still beautiful regardless.
Thank you for your kind words <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostMe View Post
Here's a trick that sometimes works for me. When you tell yourself you're disgusting - give that inner critical voice a really funny, squeaky accent. It becomes harder to take those messages seriously.

OK, you're not so tall, so 150 might be a bit much for you. BUT if you're working out every day you should be gaining fitness. Are you exercising for fun or are you exercising to lose weight? I ask because you should really be doing something super fun that makes you want to get fit for the sake of doing that fun thing better...like I dunno, kayaking or running or field hockey or dance - there must be tons of clubs at your college. Exercising to lose weight is a waste. Exercise to be healthy and happy.

Then just try to eat better. Don't starve. Don't do weird stuff. Just eat better and try to enjoy your food as much as you can.

But whatever you do, please don't hate on yourself. I remember seeing myself on video when I was about your age and just hating on myself. I mean I couldn't be in the room. And you know what - I wasn't one of those skinny little things, but when I see pics of myself back then - I DID NOT LOOK BAD!!! It was only after engaging in an endless spiral of dieting and re-gaining that I really started to pack on the pounds. Nobody hated the way I looked on video except for me.

Honestly this should be one of the best times of your life and I URGE you to enjoy it and to enjoy your body and to move it because of the joy of moving it.
I'm working out to lose the weight, I do a lot of the programs that make it fun, and I have a trainer that really helps me feel good, it's just that lingering part of me thinking it'll be forever when the weight will be gone :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenlegacy View Post
Have you seen a doctor to determine if something may be keeping you from loosing weight? Being 4'11" myself I can relate to how you feel about the extra pounds, I am at about 156.6 last time I weighed myself. I have tried before to lose weight and got down to 135 but my hormones are all screwy and I ended up quitting and gaining the weight back. You say your diet has changed but are you making sure your eating enough? Not eating enough can be detrimental to weight loss. Even then sometimes the struggle takes time, are you just weighing yourself? If so you really should measure yourself to check progress, as it is not always about the lbs you loose at first but rather the inches and then eventually the pounds start going too.
I have not, but I was recently diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, which supposedly aids in me gaining weight, but I've been taking medication to help with that. I eat at least 800 calories a day, and I burn about 1000 too! I haven't actually tried that yet, but I will!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #8  
Trying for normal

Ummm....how long have you been eating 800 calories a day?? That might be your problem. No wonder you don't enjoy exercising so much. Because you're weak and exhausted. No wonder you're struggling to lose weight, you're starving yourself.

I beg you, slow down, be sensible. STOP crash dieting. Don't be like me when I was your age in a constant cycle of gaining and losing and hating and low self-esteem - and ending up 40 and really fat.

I know you probably won't , because you want to be thin yesterday.