South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 203/203/170

Default New here, with gluten intolerance

Hi South Beachers,

Alas, I used to be in the "maintainers" forum here (five years ago)

I got to goal on medifast, kept it off for several years, then ballooned up last year as I struggled with celiac/non-celiac gluten intolerance (my GI is still working on a final diagnosis).

I've spent the past six months learning how to be permanently gluten-free, a real challenge since I am now super-sensitive to ANY cross-contamination.

As a result of my gluten issues, I also now have SIBO, (small intestine bacterial overgrowth), which brings me to the beach!

Since a whole foods, low-sugar, lower-carb diet is recommended to treat SIBO, AND since I want to lose extra pounds, I picked SB as the way to go.

I may have to temporarily go off SB for two weeks later this month (have to try to eat gluten before an endoscopy if I can tolerate it), but other than that, I'm committed to SB as my new way of eating. A lot of celiacs recommend paleo/primal, but I checked them out and decided I would have missed my beans!

So far, Phase 1 is going great! I made the bean brownies and even my housemate liked them.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and let you know I am enjoying reading all your posts and tips.

PS. Yes, I have read the Supercharged book!

Last edited by gatita; 02-06-2013 at 01:56 PM.
gatita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/185/140

Height: 5' 5"

awesome !!!! i reacently developed a sensitivity to gluten .... staying away is so hard... there are tons of replacements if you have a local "whole foods market" they have everything! i work there and i buy "bread" and its good! well i just wanted to wish you luck with everything....
moldygrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I love Elana's Pantry for healthy, whole food gluten free foods.

ETA - a lot of those supposed whole foods gluten free options are not whole foods and not South Beach friendly. They often use rice, potato and tapioca starch

Last edited by CyndiM; 02-06-2013 at 03:19 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: maintaining

Welcome
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #5  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

to the beach!

I've got a weird GI issue that they think is Ischemic Colitis and it flares without warning. Sometimes I need to add a few processed foods into my diet but as long as you read labels and do what you can to stick to it, you will succeed!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #6  

Thank you all for the welcomes!

I love Whole Foods' gluten-free selections — they kept me going while I learned the ropes— but of course those wonderful baked goods aren't for this phase of South Beach.

It has been hard being gluten-free at times, but since I have no choice, I am never, ever tempted to cheat. I hope that experience will help me in sticking to South Beach!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Welcome to The Beach, Gatita!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #8  
Maryanna

S/C/G: 167/132/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Welcome to the beach !
I hope it really helps with your gluten intolerance since I believe gluten and I aren't on friendly terms either and it is very easy to follow since it is a lifestyle with so many different options and alternatives to what we consider 'comfort' foods. Just remember to get creative in the kitchen so you don't get bored and are less likely to fall off the wagon.
I personally follow a lot of primal and SBD principles as well- I like the best of both worlds
But welcome!
pinkcandiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #9  

Thank you again, you all are inspiring! I am on day 5 of phase 1 and I love it so far.

I was eating wayyyy too much rice and gluten-free pasta and bread this past year (mainly because it was hard to find anything else that didn't make me sick). I do feel better now after only five days of de-carbing. I am using the Superquick South Beach cookbook to keep things interesting, and my housemate is enjoying all my "experiments." The Shrimp Fra Diavolo (sp?) last night was awesome!

Funny, I just found out my oldest brother has been put on South Beach by his doctor, too. He doesn't have celiac, but he has diabetes.

PS. Cottage -- love your "wine a lot' motto!!!

Last edited by gatita; 02-08-2013 at 12:32 PM.