Old 02-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 326/SEE TRACKER/163

Height: 5'7"

Default Diet Drinks?

Does anyone drink diet soda (drinks) of any sort. If so, what kind?
MSDEEDEE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #2  
Started IP 1/1/13

S/C/G: 132/See Ticker/118

Height: 5'4"

The only sort of diet drinks I've done is MiO Liquid Water Enhancer. They have lots of flavors and are sweetened with sucralose instead of aspartame; my coach said it's OK, but to keep it under 3 servings a day. If I need something fizzy, I'll add my Mio to some Perrier.
PacNW IP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #3  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

WHY IS DIET SODA DISCOURAGED DURING IDEAL PROTEIN DIET?
Very interesting insights from the "Ideal Protein Nova Blog". There is a science behind why this diet works and the things you can do to take best advantage of it.

All diet drinks (i.e. sugar-free, carb-free) are NOT recommended on the diet. The problem that can arise is imbalances in acid/base regulation. The protocol is very alkaline and this is why we do not see complications common to other "protein type diets." Some diet drinks (Crystal Light for example) are mixed with water and these are acceptable. Many others (flavored Aqua-fina, Dasani, etc.) contain a lot of phosphoric acid. This is a very strong acid and will play havoc with the body's bicarbonate buffering system. This goes for diet soda's too, particularly the brown ones.

Flavored seltzers are usually OK, just read the label and make sure it is carb-free and contains no phosphoric acid. This protocol provides so many health benefits besides weight loss, it would be a shame to compromise some of the benefits by consuming these products. Also- remember, an extra cup of water for every coffee you drink!

So what CAN you drink? Drink unsweetened Herbal Tea. Add 2 bags to a large pitcher (1.5 liter) or container and seep for about 10 minutes. Use a funnel to pour into an empty 1.5 liter plastic soda bottle. I usually make 3-4 batches in one night of different flavours, so there is a wide variety of choice throughout the week. It also helps you crave drinking more.

‎1. "Aspartame" is the sweetener which Ideal Protein recommends cutting out from your other foods. The reason why is that your body can react to it like sugar, spiking your insulin. (at a certain amount.) So Crystal Light (made with nutri sweet) is not recommended. There is something in the US/Canada called MIO which you add to water which is recommended.
2. Cascade Ice wont work because there are fruit juices in it (Pear Juice concentrate).
‎3. Yes, you can add Stevia, Splenda, Truvia or other approved sweeteners to your tea. However, note that the sweeteners do have carbs in them and are not "free". Adding one packet (like a coffee sweetener size) to 1.5 liters of iced herbal tea is usually enough to sweeten it without worry. However, i drink the iced herbal teas with no sweetener and dont miss it.
‎4. Carbonation is not the problem... you can have sparkling water. However, some find that cutting out all carbonation helps with bloating/gas.

wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote