Old 02-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

Default Religious Fast on IP

Just curious if anyone else fasted for a day on IP (I would drink water, tea, coffee)? Ash Wednesday is typically a fast day for me...Has anyone dealt with this? I did not fast the first time on IP, but wondering if it would throw me off or harm my health?
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I wouldn't recommend it, most of the time a short fast is OK because you have glycogen stores to pull from. On IP you have already depleted that by getting into ketosis. I am not sure what the effect of a 24hr fast would be while in ketosis, but if I find anything I'll post it.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #3  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I do know people who combine IF (Intermittent Fasting) with ketogenic diets and they include 24hr fasts, although they usually fast from 6pm to 6pm the following day... I have done this as well myself, but it left me feeling pretty crappy for 3 days following the 24 fast and I wound up having to increase my carb level for a few days in order to feel better... but I was able to maintain a mild ketosis (I do serum ketone testing for better accuracy to be sure), so it can be done... for me personally my religious beliefs are very important to me, so I've made the decision to make my diet and my plan conform to them, and not the other way around... but once again, that's a very personal and individual decision that everyone has to make for themselves...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
I do know people who combine IF (Intermittent Fasting) with ketogenic diets and they include 24hr fasts, although they usually fast from 6pm to 6pm the following day... I have done this as well myself, but it left me feeling pretty crappy for 3 days following the 24 fast and I wound up having to increase my carb level for a few days in order to feel better... but I was able to maintain a mild ketosis (I do serum ketone testing for better accuracy to be sure), so it can be done... for me personally my religious beliefs are very important to me, so I've made the decision to make my diet and my plan conform to them, and not the other way around... but once again, that's a very personal and individual decision that everyone has to make for themselves...
This is also very true. You have to make every decision through the lens of your faith and what you feel is most important.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 219/146.0/142

Height: 5'7"

I would also like to point out that most major religions that I know of make provisions for the health of the individual to take precedent over the necessity of the fast. I personally would be unable to fast on IP, I know my body would be unable to handle it. Best to you with whatever decision you make.
sharrow is offline   Reply With Quote