General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #1  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Default I'm doing it again (self-sabotage). Why?

The one thing I've learned about my weight loss journey is that I tend to sabotage my efforts. I know what I need to do to lose weight. Eating high protein/fat and low carb works for me. I lose weight at a rate of 2-3 lbs a week when I follow that type of plan. I'm still 50 lbs overweight. So WHY do I sabotage my efforts? The past few days I've binged on chocolate, and I'm drinking WAY too much wine (empty carbs). And I have done this several times. I don't regain more than just a couple pounds (and shockingly I've lost 1 lb recently despite my self-sabotage) but I have just 1 lb to go to hit the 50 lbs lost milestone and it's like I just can't commit to eating properly. I mean, the reality is that in 6 months I could hit my goal weight if I would just get my act together. But instead it's like I've hit a mental comfort zone that so long as I don't gain weight I would prefer to just be this weight and eat crappy.

Ideas? Suggestions? Psychological profiling? (Haha)
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #2  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Hey EagleRiverDee-
I don't think it really matters why you did it !
Don't let your inner child have it's way!
If you really want to lose the weight you will!
I am far from perfect , if I make a mistake I reevaluate and ask myself is this something I truly want? or could I be content to stop where I'm at?
I think I'm like you an all or nothing girl!
Maybe this is your way of slowing the ride down...regroup and move forward.
My Coach believes in the why's and why nots are just an excuse ! work your plan! I agree
Makes no difference why I got fat ! The True reason is I ate too much food.
I need to be persistent and work the program.
Good Luck, I love to read your posts and have found them very insightful.
Best wishes,Roo2
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

You could try setting up 1-day mini goals... can you make it through TODAY without self-sabotaging?

Sometimes I find it easier to pass on foods if I tell myself that I can always have it tomorrow if I really want it. I can always stop at the doughnut store on the way to work... so why do it today? There is always tomorrow. Then I fight the same battle the next day.

However, when I come across truly special foods- like going to a steakhouse for my birthday, I do indulge within reason. I try to skip the carby sides and avoid dessert.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

I think we self sabotage when we unconsciously think that we don't deserve to succeed.
You need to refocus on the success you've already accomplished and tell yourself that you deserve to succeed even more.

Good luck!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

And.... give yourself some more credit - you said 50 pounds overweight. You are less than 40 pounds overweight for your 138 goal!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

I like the idea on 1 day mini goals, thanks.

And probably yes, I do probably have some sort of complex of "I don't deserve this".

On my goal weight- the reason I said 50 lbs is mentally I've been shifting my goal weight to 125. I just haven't changed it yet. I used to think it was unattainable to weight what I did in my 20's, but now I think maybe it is attainable so I may change my goal to 125.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #7  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Instead of changing your goal weight now, why not wait until you get to it and see if you want to go lower? You've been doing incredibly well--you can do this--you've shown that. Maybe it'd help to remind yourself of that--pat yourself on the back and give yourself credit for how much you've done--and let it reinforce to you that you are on top of this--and can stay on top of this.
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote