Old 01-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256.6/247.6/160

Height: 6'

Default Green Smoothies

Hey there! I am new to this site, and fairly new on Ideal Protein.

I was wondering if anyone does green smoothies to get all their veggies in? I'm having a hard time choking down lettuce, and my two cups of veggies at lunch... To be honest, I'd rather skip lunch than continue with this odd ritual I have created of shoving my veggies down my throat as fast as I can.

So, today I tried to make it into a smoothie, figuring it would go down easier if I could drink it... WRONG!! I think the drink was creeping back up my throat at the same time I was gulping it down... And I can still taste it 2.5hrs later.

So I'm wondering, since most green smoothies out there include fruit which we cannot eat, does anyone have a tasty recipe that is ideal protein friendly? Or even a suggestion on how to eat a ton of lettuce and veggies at lunch painlessly?

Thanks!!
lolaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #2  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think there are some good recipes (there are lots of recipe threads in the stickies up top) for making smoothies using vanilla or chocolate IP drinks, ice, and spinach.

Also, it's my understanding that the lettuce is unlimited but also optional. I struggle to eat 2 c of veggies, so I don't waste much effort on lettuce.
Ojenchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #3  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

I love this one ...

1 vanilla rtd
1 cup spinach (or more ..)
1 - 1 1/2 cups ice
WF caramel syrup (about 1-2 tbsp)
good sprinkle of cinnamon
blend very well ...

Or, my kids favorite
1 Chocolate RTD
1 cup spinach
2 tbsp WF raspberry spread
1 - 1 1/2 cups ice
blend very well

I wouldn't use the packets (powder) in the blender for your smoothies as they turn to a airy fluffy yucky concoction. Use any of the RTD's. I personally love spinach but I don't taste it at all in the above. It's just so I can get it in when on the run ...

You can also try pureeing your veggies into a soup or sauce for on your dinner protein.... Red bell peppers and spinach works great for that ..
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #4  
Started IP 11/28/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolaa View Post
Hey there! I am new to this site, and fairly new on Ideal Protein.

I was wondering if anyone does green smoothies to get all their veggies in? I'm having a hard time choking down lettuce, and my two cups of veggies at lunch... To be honest, I'd rather skip lunch than continue with this odd ritual I have created of shoving my veggies down my throat as fast as I can.

So, today I tried to make it into a smoothie, figuring it would go down easier if I could drink it... WRONG!! I think the drink was creeping back up my throat at the same time I was gulping it down... And I can still taste it 2.5hrs later.

So I'm wondering, since most green smoothies out there include fruit which we cannot eat, does anyone have a tasty recipe that is ideal protein friendly? Or even a suggestion on how to eat a ton of lettuce and veggies at lunch painlessly?

Thanks!!
This is one of my favorite recipes that's a "green smoothie" like recipe: http://www.lamberjules.com/recipes/i...protein-style/ I drink this one everyday and it's a fast way to get in your veggies.

Also I've made a chocolate cookie out of the chocolate drink mix and added zucchini to it: http://www.lamberjules.com/recipes/i...ookies-recipe/ Seriously good!

And lastly, my newest treat (and one of my favorites since trying rhubarb) is a Rhubarb Crisp: http://www.lamberjules.com/recipes/i...-crisp-recipe/ You'd never know you were eating healthy!
amberjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #5  
Started IP 1/7/13

S/C/G: 252/220/152

Height: 5'2"

I love my chocolate spinach shakes! Who would have ever thought that would come out of my mouth? I was having a hard time getting the 4 cups of veggies in but now that I'm having 1 cup of spinach in my shake - I feel like I'm missing out on the dinner veggies. And I've been trying new things like roasting cauliflower, rutabaga fries, and kale chips.
my31rewards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

I do it twice a day! I prefer to drink my spinach than eat it...(Well, I would eat it in a Greek pie or creamed...or in a mix of sour cream for a dip...) But not the IP way..

I blend it in my cocomint shake and it's a mint chocolate shake and so it really makes sense that it's green!!!

Edit: Oh, and I kicked myself because when I did P1 to initially lose the weight I never tried it!!! Then in P4 I tried in on my P1 days and also have it during my reboots. It is a lifesaver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I tried it during my five months on P1...it would have helped me so much!!!

Last edited by New Englander; 01-31-2013 at 05:04 PM.
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #7  
SBDubs

S/C/G: 198.4/179.6/165

Height: 5'11''

I made my first green smoothie this morning! I definitely DID NOT blend it well enough so it had some spinach bits but it tasted great.

1 packet IP choc shake
1 cup of spinach
1/4 tsp peppermint extract
staceyjblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #8  

Smile Green Smoothie Revolution

Hi there!

About two years ago, a friend of mine gave me a book called the Green Smoothie Revolution. It has all types of different healthy smoothies and recipes in it! I make a different smoothie every day. The nice thing about it is... They all taste great!(:

Simple Recipe:
-Fill blender half way with baby spinach (organic)
-Fill blender with about 1/3rd of it being full of water (spinach has to be in before you do this)
-1 Mango
-1 Apple (Preferably without the skin)
-1 Banana
-1 Pear

*They taste good! and you get 4 servings of fruit and of a vegetable! You don't even taste the spinach*

If you want more recipes, let me know! (:
iMyMelodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #9  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMyMelodie View Post
Hi there!

About two years ago, a friend of mine gave me a book called the Green Smoothie Revolution. It has all types of different healthy smoothies and recipes in it! I make a different smoothie every day. The nice thing about it is... They all taste great!(:

Simple Recipe:
-Fill blender half way with baby spinach (organic)
-Fill blender with about 1/3rd of it being full of water (spinach has to be in before you do this)
-1 Mango
-1 Apple (Preferably without the skin)
-1 Banana
-1 Pear

*They taste good! and you get 4 servings of fruit and of a vegetable! You don't even taste the spinach*

If you want more recipes, let me know! (:
We DO want more recipes, but this is an IP forum so we can't have dairy, fruit or sugar. Do you have recipes with more of a veggie base? Is that even possible to do and taste good?? LOL
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #10  
Restart 3/1/15

S/C/G: 307.4/270/200

Height: 5'7

Question on the smoothie: Can I use frozen spinach as well & also I use the packs for drinks but does it come out better with the ready made drinks?
Sammie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #11  
Started IP 11/28/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie12 View Post
Question on the smoothie: Can I use frozen spinach as well & also I use the packs for drinks but does it come out better with the ready made drinks?
I've used both ready made and packets and can't really tell a difference between the two. When I make the chocolate drink mix I only use about 4 ounces of water because I also add 2 shots of decaf espresso. As for the frozen spinach...well, I personally wouldn't because that spinach has been cooked and has a much different taste than the raw spinach.
amberjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 254/229.5/190

Height: 5"8

I always use frozen spinach! If your in canada go to sobeys and buy their brand of frozen spinach its comes in little pucks it blends so well! My shake has to be freezing cold so frozen is better for me and i dont have to worry about pre cutting it before putting in the blender!
Billster is offline   Reply With Quote