Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-20-2013, 04:14 AM   #1  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

Default Hula Hooping

A friend of mine is super active and is constantly moving around doing things. She absolutely loves hula hooping and has started a hooping trend among all of my lady friends. We hoop at parties, when we're just hanging around the house, just basically whenever the mood strikes. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS. One problem.... I can't keep the dang thing up.

On the other hand, I realize that even if I can't do it consistently (yet), it's great activity for someone who has been very sedentary for quite some time now... My question is this, is there anyone out there who does a lot of hula hooping and gets good results from it?

I've read that it's a good message for your inner workings (which is good because I have severe IBS) and that it burns up calories galore. My friends all say they have seen a difference.. I want to as well and feel like if I can figure out how to do it, perhaps it will help me by making me stand and hoop when I watch TV or just whenever I lounge around listening to music.

Next question, how do you talented ladies keep these dang things up? Is my size the problem or is this an issue of equilibrium? I am deaf in one ear so my balance isn't good... but I am just curious because I have been completely determined to figure out how to do it consistently since New Years... I keep it up for a few rounds and then it falls...

Anyway, I would appreciate any feedback on this topic
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/229/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm curious as well, I bought one a while back to "use during commercials" well that idea fell flat, when the dang this keeps just falling down... :-(
hayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I love my hoop. There are some helpful youtubes videos out there describing the basics. One foot forward and a back and forth rocking motion works better than an actual circle. Here's a really easy video. Sometimes 20 minutes of listening to music and hooping is the only exercise I can convince myself to do, especially after a long, exhausting day. It really is fun once you get the hang of it
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #4  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Next question, how do you talented ladies keep these dang things up? Is my size the problem or is this an issue of equilibrium? I am deaf in one ear so my balance isn't good... but I am just curious because I have been completely determined to figure out how to do it consistently since New Years... I keep it up for a few rounds and then it falls...
The biggest thing is the hoop you have! I've never been able to hula hoop before because I've always been obese. When I started hooping, I had a small variety of hoops but they were all the wrong size. A good beginner hoop for most people is a 42" 3/4" 160 PSI hoop with a grip tape (gaffer, hockey or duct works . But considering your ticker weight, I'd would advise you to get a larger hoop. I've been having some success with my heavier friends with hoops about 50" that are 3/4" 160 PSI with at least one grip tape (it's above my boobs and I'm 5'8"). Proper adult sized hoops are between bellybutton and chest height. They also need to have some weight but not too much weight. Don't buy one of those crazy 5 pound hoops. Even my first hoop (1inch 160PSI) is really pushing it.

You CAN do this. Once you have the proper hoop, next you will need to know the proper motion which is a rocking back and forth motion with one foot forward. You have two power points on your body. Push to the front, push to the back. You won't automatically be able to spin a world record, but if you have five seconds down, then you just need practice and muscle memory. There are many videos on youtube that have instructions on how to waist hoop. There is also side stance where your two power points are right above your hips on your left and right on your sides, like a hula girl motion.

Hooping is SO much fun and you can hoop as a curvier girl. It just takes the proper hoop and perseverance. If the hoop is falling, you are learning something new!

You can make a hoop using irrigation tubing, a coupler and a pot of hot water/heat gun/whatever that can heat the tubing. Then you decorate it with tape. If you aren't crafty or do not know a local hoop creator, you can find some on Etsy. I recommend hoop mommas on etsy a lot because I've emailed her asking if she can make the hoops larger for large people. She said yes! So make sure you communicate with her if you need a larger than 42" hoop. I don't recommend water hoops much because if you want to learn tricks, it will make the hoop unbalanced for later. I guess you could drain it.

Here are a few blogs that I think you may appreciate:
http://www.hooplove.org/2011/05/plus-size-hooping.html -Plus size hooping (some mild cursing at the end)

http://www.hooping.org/2012/02/for-t...rs-everywhere/- For the love of plus size hoopers everywhere

And video inspiration that you can be heavier and be a rockstar hooper!
http://www.hooping.org/2012/12/our-c...lenge-winners/

EDIT: Irrigation tubing comes in 100 foot rolls in various sizes. Hoopers mainly use these sizes 125 PSI 1/2", 100 PSI 3/4", and 160 PSI 3/4". You will want the heavier tubing. When I started 2 years ago, someone gave me a 100 PSI and it failed. I couldn't feel the hoop to be able to accurately move to the hoop.

Last edited by Daimere; 01-20-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #5  
Hooping my Life Away

Also, are you near Nashville or Murfreesboro? I know a few hoopers down there. They could help you out! Also, if you are ever interested in movement festivals that include hooping, there is Playthink Movement Festival in Kentucky (http://www.playthinkfest.com/). It's in June. It's amazing with tons of yoga, hoop classes, art, dance, poi, aerials, hiking trails, etc. Kid friendly to boot! I know a couple girls that came last year from Tennessee. And you wouldn't be the only big girl there either! I love my new version of vacations. They are all active!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #6  
Hooping my Life Away

Quote:
My question is this, is there anyone out there who does a lot of hula hooping and gets good results from it?
I missed this question the first time I answered. Hooping is considered at par with a bootcamp class. But I still think hooping should be combined with other exercises and healthy diet. I know at 250, I can maintain, hoop 30 minutes a day and eat like a big. I have lost 15 pounds with just hooping for the last two years (when I am above my maintinence weight, I'll whip my self into shape) a few times.

I do know a few people that have lost weight with hooping. Philo from hooping.org lost his last bit of weight by committing to a 30/30. One of my friends lost 80 pounds (combined with semi-veggie lifestyle). Jen and Keith Moore from Hoopnotica have lost a ton of weight with hooping (and changing diet). My friend Leslie lost some weight. Here's her progress video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3WzvWSxvns And here's another inspiring video I found of a girl that lost 50 pounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=0qlAhRiBpoY I've seen dozens of stories.

Even if hooping cannot create major pounds lost, I think hoopdance can give anyone something that is very important for weight loss: self-love and a healthy activity they love. I feel like the best way to lose weight is to accept your body as is and be proud of it now. Because when you lose weight, it will be a better version of the body you already love. I know even heavy that my body can do amazing things with a hoop and that is empowering! Also, since there are so many opportunities out there for classes, retreats, workshops, etc, you have this new version of fun activities! If you don't feel like boring running, you can be like, "Oh hey, I can hoop for my cardio today!"

There are a few workout-like dvds for hoops. Mainly from Betty Hoops and Christabal since the HoopBody Marisa Tomei one is out of print. Hoopnotica used to have a 20 minutes workout with their 2nd level dvd. There's a few 10 minute workouts on youtube from Hoopnotica, Bodyhoops and maybe a few other peoples. There is one that I haven't gotten yet from Jane Fonda with Kamala as the instructor.

Sorry for blowing up this thread but I love love love hooping and I really want everyone to be successful with it. I've been one of those people crying on the floor cause I couldn't do it. I was blaming my body instead of my hoop.

Last edited by Daimere; 01-20-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #7  
I can, I will, I do

You guys are awesome! and I am located outside of Nashville. Not far at all. I am definitely looking on Etsy because my birthday is in April so I can totally justify a custom hoop purchase. haha I tried a few youtube videos and kept it up a little longer. Not a ton of improvement. I think a lot of it is in my hoop and the hoops I have access to. My friends and I bought them at Walmart and weighted them (all different weights) with Duct tape. Mine is pretty heavy.. it's not as hard for me but still not easier. My other friend used less tape which gave hers a weight that I had a little more luck with and my 3rd didn't tape hers at all and I couldn't do it whatsoever.

I have been looking online but I get nervous about spending too much money on the wrong one so these are very helpful posts and I really appreciate it!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #8  
Hooping my Life Away

If you bought your hoop at walmart in the kiddie section or even the fitness section, it's not made for adults nor your body shape! Hoops from Walmart won't work. Even taped, they are still harder than a 100 PSI or 160PSI. Also the irrigation tubing hoops are so much studier. I've tripped over mine a billion times and they are still a solid piece, unlike a kid walmart hoop. The lone fitness hoop they have in the exercise section is a too heavy fitness hoop that is only 38". Happy Hoops is in Nashville, TN. If you have facebook, you can look for them. Currently their website is down. I know Kristen of Happy Hoops and I am sure she'd love to make you a custom hoop (and then no shipping).

Also hoop supplies is in Nashville! They are great with customer service! You can pick up a make a hoop kit with everything like good grip tape like gaffer or a premade hoop. http://www.hoopsupplies.com/ But yes, I'd recommend Happy Hoops, Hoop supplies or Hoop Mommas on etsy. Get a 160" PSI 44" hoop

You guys can even chip in together and have a hoop making party to make some really nice hoops. Even your friends would marvel on how much easier a 100 PSI or 160 PSI hoop can be compared to the walmart hoops. I taught a kid class a year ago. This girl could waist hoop and all sorts with the small kid hoops. Then she tried mine and wanted to use mine cause even though it was still hard, it was easier at the same time. The bigger hoops also faciliate more moves to learn which means you can progress to a total body workout using your arms, legs, feet, etc.

Also remember if your friends are having an easier time, it may be because the hoops are closer to their size plus they may have experience with movement. At this point in my hooping practice, I can chest hoop with a larger kid hoop from walmart. It's not as fun because I have to spin around as fast and my waist? Forget it!

Don't let anyone tell you that using a smaller hoop is a better workout (I've seen that before). It's not a workout if you can't keep it up! It's definintately not a workout if you are mad at it.

Last edited by Daimere; 01-20-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #9  
Es ist ein neuer Tag!

S/C/G: Highest 280+

Height: 5' 7"

This thread motivated me to get my hoop out tonight. I hooped for 20 minutes while watching television instead of just sitting here.

Avezy44 ~ Don't give up. A few years ago when I first attempted hooping I was pitiful. I even made myself a hoop (not as big or heavy as I needed at the time). I spent a lot of time bending over and picking it up - so I figure it was still exercise. I don't remember how much weight I lost during the time I was attempting to hoop, but I do remember losing inches. Last summer I took a hooping class (I just learned tonight the instructor was one of Daimere's friends here in the Kansas City area). My first class I was awful - almost comical. Another person in the class had a super hoop and let me try it. It was amazing how much easier it was to use. Once Anna had me hooping with that hoop she moved me to a slightly smaller hoop. I can now hoop with the original hoop I made myself. Tonight I picked up my hoop, after months, and was able to hoop. I hooped for 20 minutes and only dropped the hoop twice. Huge improvement . . . and a great workout. I am going to leave my hoop right in the middle of my living room so I will be more motivated to use it every day.

Thanks for starting this thread . . . you motivated me.

Last edited by MamaP; 01-20-2013 at 11:12 PM.
MamaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #10  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

Gonna try the hula hoop my fil brought home, it's a little big, I used to be able to spin it around forever at 150ish. I have like extra fat above my butt on my back. I have like virtually a flat butt and that fat makes my butt look even flatter. Maybe it will help with that.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:34 AM   #11  
Hooping my Life Away

Quote:
Last summer I took a hooping class (I just learned tonight the instructor was one of Daimere's friends here in the Kansas City area). My first class I was awful - almost comical. Another person in the class had a super hoop and let me try it. It was amazing how much easier it was to use. Once Anna had me hooping with that hoop she moved me to a slightly smaller hoop. I can now hoop with the original hoop I made myself.
I love Anna!
Yes, that's exactly how I've worked with some people. A few of my friends I've been able to get hooping by starting them with the large hoop (my first hoop), once they have the motion down, we move to a 46"-50" 160 PSI hoop. My first hoop class I emailed the girl telling her I can't hoop and if she could help me. So she directed me to her large hoop first. I was doing the right motion. My hoop was wrong for my body! And I did a corkscrew later. I had a blast!

Congrats on your 20 minutes! Yay!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #12  
I can, I will, I do

Thanks! I added them on Facebook! I know what you mean about the wrong hoop thing. I can tell I have improved but I know I need a new hoop bad. My friends find it quite comical but my more active friend is absolutely DETERMINED to see me be able to do it. Also, my friends are not only thinner than me, I am probably the tallest one.. and I am only 5'6". I took my hoop and put it at my feet tonight discovering that it was probably 2" below my belly button. I can't wait to get a better hoop... ahhh I wish my payday would come faster! lol
Old 01-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #13  
Es ist ein neuer Tag!

S/C/G: Highest 280+

Height: 5' 7"

I made the two small hoops in the center for my grandsons (age 2 & 4). The 4 yr old can keep it up a little but they love trying. I made the hoops and Anna taped them for me. The next size up (pink, black & silver) is the first hoop I made. The biggest hoop (pink, black, silver & green) was custom made for me by Anna. It is the one I used last night - and is still easier for me than the one I made. I sometimes use the small hoops for arms. I can't do anything fancy at all - I have a shoulder that needs surgery and I can't lift my arm over my head or take it behind my back, so that really limits what I can attempt. I haven't even mastered the turn yet - but I will.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 398076_10152457910995022_673550643_n.jpg (51.6 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by MamaP; 01-21-2013 at 10:14 AM.
MamaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #14  
Hooping my Life Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaP View Post
I made the two small hoops in the center for my grandsons (age 2 & 4). The 4 yr old can keep it up a little but they love trying. I made the hoops and Anna taped them for me. The next size up (pink, black & silver) is the first hoop I made. The biggest hoop (pink, black, silver & green) was custom made for me by Anna. It is the one I used last night - and is still easier for me than the one I made. I sometimes use the small hoops for arms. I can't do anything fancy at all - I have a shoulder that needs surgery and I can't lift my arm over my head or take it behind my back, so that really limits what I can attempt. I haven't even mastered the turn yet - but I will.
Reading about your impairment makes me inspired to try to dance without lifting my arms above my shoulders. It could be really interesting! The wheels are grinding and there is a lot you could do, although isolations would probably be out. I'm going to have to try that one day! It'd be a challenge since usually I am all arms above my shoulders. Eventually, I'll post some of my hoops. I really want to get one of my larger hoops today to do a Betty Hoops DVD
Old 02-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #15  
I can, I will, I do

Daimere I got my custom hoop yesterday from Happy Hoops and it made a WORLD of difference! I absolutely adore it! Thank you so much for sending me in their direction