Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW: 225/ CW:180.4/ GW: 165

Height: 5 9

Default In pain!!!

I don't know if I should exercise today. I just bought the biggest loser last chance workout DVDs and I started them on Wednesday, I went from not working out out at all to 35 mins of really intense stuff! When I woke up on Thursday everything ached but I still got up and did the next workout, this time for an hour, 20 mins after I got up.... Well I really regretted that later, I was so sore that night that I could barley move, and I still feel like that today! I mean its deff a good feeling also but I am really in a lot of pain! The DVD says to work out 6 days a week for two weeks then go to the next levels, I REALLY want to work out today to feel good, but I'm afraid my body might be telling me its too much, should I work through the pain and suck it up?

Last edited by skintoskincombat; 01-18-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Bad grammar
skintoskincombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I know some people will say to pus through it, but my inclination would be to take a day or two off and ease back into it. There is no reason to be in pain. That's just one good way to QUIT and never keep at it, IMO.

Some muscle soreness is fine, good, but too much is well, too much. Listen to your body.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #3  
the muse of memory

Quote:
I know some people will say to pus through it, but my inclination would be to take a day or two off and ease back into it. There is no reason to be in pain. That's just one good way to QUIT and never keep at it, IMO.

Some muscle soreness is fine, good, but too much is well, too much. Listen to your body.
I totally agree. Instead of doing the DVDs today, go for a nice walk. Don't NOT move, just be careful about overstressing your muscles. Oh, and take a nice hot shower. That might help!

I would alternate the DVDs and walking instead of following their instructions and doing it six days a week. When you have more stamina and start feeling GOOD after the DVDs, increase your use.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #4  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I echo the above.

Some muscle soreness is fine and cool to work through, but if it's a little much, give your body a chance to recover. Get a walk in instead.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #5  
Empress/Queen

Echoing what everyone else has said. If you are going from zero exercise, take it slow when you start. For muscle soreness & general tiredness, yes, do take a gentle walk and stretch some, but what would be wrong with scheduling your DVDs, if you wanted to be consistent, three days a week to start, with some gentle walks in between?

Plenty of time to get fit, but consistency needs to be built up carefully.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

I started with the 30-day shred and remember I felt like a train hit me the first week. I could not even brush my teeth anymore since the tooth brush was too heavy to hold up. You can either push through as it gets better after 6-7 days of continuous exercise or you can wait a day or two. It depends whether you would have difficulty getting back again or not. I would make sure to just do the exercises that do not cause you real pain (except the muscle pain). In particular do not push on when your muscles feel tired and make sure you do not hurt knees or ankles or your back. I would only do 20-30 min in the beginning. 1h 20min sounds a lot to me. Your muscles will adapt quickly and you can add then.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Go walking instead, I agree! I went from zero exercise to walking and have been doing that since 1 January. I "may" venture to do that video by Monday. I haven't watched it yet, so not sure if I'm ready.

Good for you on getting through the video though! But yes, if you hurt that bad, skip the video and go for a nice walk!

(I posted not long ago but being in terrible pain myself. It DOES get better, though!)
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #8  

S/C/G: SW: 225/ CW:180.4/ GW: 165

Height: 5 9

Thank you everyone! You guys are great. Nice fast informative replies I think I'm going to opt for that walk you all are talking about! I live in the center of my town so there is a lot of stuff to do and parks to go to, also my parents live a mile across town so maybe ill walk there! I'm usually someone who likes to push myself but I feel like a total weakling with fire muscles. That tooth brush thing really rang a bell. I could barley fold my laundry last night without my arms getting tired! Total weakling!!!

I just now feel bad tho that I won't be burning as many calories, I feel like ill be slowing down the process but then I have to remember patience! My new found patience and persistance is what's finally making this work for me this time around

Last edited by skintoskincombat; 01-18-2013 at 10:31 AM.
skintoskincombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

A walk is definitely a good idea. No reason to hurt yourself!
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote