Old 01-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #1  
Restart IP 9/26/13

S/C/G: 208/185/140

Height: 5'6

Talking First Timer on IP, Little Intro, and couple Q's

Hi ALL!!

First of all I want to thank you for taking the time to read my post!! I know intro's can get a little redundant.

My name is Kat, and I am 29 yrs old. As a child I was always overweight. I was taller and developed sooner than my peers. When I was about 15/16 I did get down to my lowest weight ever, which was about 130. After that I have just gone up and down in my weight. My highest weight was 220lbs, and over the years I have been able to lose 40-60lbs here and there just to put it back on. I have never really been on a diet plan. I always lost weight by restricting/counting calories, portion control, and exercise. I also try to eat whole, unprocessed foods as much as possible. I think my main problem is that I have shot my metabolism down. I would never have breakfast and eat a big meal once a day. (I know that's terrible) but an easy habit to fall into when you work a lot, I am sure many of you understand!

I heard about IP through someone at work, and it just sounded like a great program. I loved the idea that it really educated a person on the correct way to eat and how essentially it is almost like resetting your metabolism. I was very surprised I had never heard about IP. I did extensive research when I got home and the more I read the more I felt this was the Ideal program for me.

I met my new coach this past Saturday and got all my stuff to start Monday (today). My coach seems like such an amazing positive person. Very honest, and motivating.

I am so EXCITED and nervous at the same time! So far, I have had breakfast and lunch and I can't say I was disappointed at all with either meal. That surprised me because while doing my research I came upon many people saying it it hard for them to stomach the food, but I have also seen people be perfectly happy with the food as well. Truth is, I have NEVER been a picky eater (prob why I have such weight issues LOL) so I am hoping that I am ok with the majority of the food.

I had the chocolate drink mixed with coffee for breakfast, it was yummy. Like a mocha (my coach told me about that combo).

I had the mushroom soup for lunch. Sautéed a cup of mushrooms that I added to the soup, and I had a cup of baby kale lightly sautéed with ginger and garlic.

So, I guess that leaves me with a few questions for all you guys!

Are there any tips or advice (other than no cheating and get all your veggies in) that are a must to a newbie?

Any IP packets that are a must have or any I should really avoid?

Here is what I got so far: Chocolate drink mix, berry yogurt mix drink, mushroom soup, butterscotch pudding, dill pickle zippers and the peanut butter bars.

I really wanted the tomato basil soup but I have heard/read that the soup is terrible. Bummer because that is my favorite soup ever.

I look forward to making some friends on here that can help me along my journey and way to new lifestyle. I hope I can motivate others as well!

I thank you all for your time!

Oh, how do I get a weight ticker for my signature?

Kat
Katkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 231/see ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

First, welcome. I don't post a lot here, but I'll tell you what my four months on IP has taught me. Get in all your water... it really can stall your losses. I think the best packets are the restricted (and in my case my favorite is the strawberry wafers - so much so that I only buy one a week and have it that day). Personally I don't care for the drinks except the strawberry banana rtd, and even that one I'm not a fan of. I love to make the cereal into muffins w/ some WF cinnamon pb.

Anyway, good to know that this board is here, it will help you through this no matter the question.
tobehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #3  
Reboot: 01/01/15

S/C/G: 167 / 151.0 / 125

Height: 5'3"

Using the tom/basil soup to make a flatbread is awesome! Mix the packet, 2 egg whites, 1 tsp of olive oil, and 1/4 tsp of baking powder. Spread thin (I use a Silpat non-stick baking liner on my baking sheet) and bake at 350 for 10ish minutes. Flip and bake some more.

You can use this to make a pizza, but I love it just plain with my salad!!
KLD81230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #4  

Welcome Katkat! We also have a Kitkat on the board, just for confusion

Some answers:

Are there any tips or advice (other than no cheating and get all your veggies in) that are a must to a newbie?
Follow the sheet. Get in ALL water, salt, and OIL. Put your oil directly ON your food. Don't count what you cook with b/c much actually remains in the pan. Don't add more than six 0/0/0 extras per day. Do a lot of reading on the threads to spend time learning. Read recipes.
STAY OFF THE SCALE except for weigh in (WI) days! A watched "pot" just frustrates!

This is SUCH an individual taste thing. For every person who loves one, someone else will dislike it. I'm not a fan of the berry yogurt or broccoli cheese soup. My mom LOVES both. See what I mean? Find what you like. Have fun with the packets and learn some recipes to change them.

I really wanted the tomato basil soup but I have heard/read that the soup is terrible. Bummer because that is my favorite soup ever.
Can't help. I've never had it. I've never been a tomato soup girl. Can you get ONE packet to try? Again, tastes are so individual & I know there are people who DO like it.

Oh, how do I get a weight ticker for my signature?
There is LOTS of info in the stickies and the links in the first post of the daily thread. One of them answers this question (not for 20 days)
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 164.8/150.5/128 1) -4.8,2)-3.2

Height: 5' 4"

Everyone's taste is so different, so I'd try as many things as possible if you can.

I actually tried the tomato basil today for the first time, expecting it to be awful and it wasn't that bad. I added some chopped lobster and hot sauce to it and pretended it was lobster bisque.

I like adding chicken to the chicken soup, it reminds me of chicken a la king that way.

Had the pickle zingers for first time yesterday and they're very good and there's a lot of them in the packet.

Really like the double chocolate bars.

I add a fair amount of salt to the butterscotch pudding and let it get really cold. The salt gives it a salted caramel flavor that I like.

I really tried, but wasn't a fan of the chili. The texture creeped me out...but tons of people love it.

The chocolate drink is really good.
PamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #6  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Welcome! My tip would have been start on a Friday. Days 2 & 3 can be really rough and trying to go through that at work is no fun. If you were already eating low carb, you may not have any issues.

I recommend the chocolate soy puffs. They taste like chocolate covered cocoa puffs.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamC View Post
Everyone's taste is so different, so I'd try as many things as possible if you can.

I actually tried the tomato basil today for the first time, expecting it to be awful and it wasn't that bad. I added some chopped lobster and hot sauce to it and pretended it was lobster bisque.
Isn't anything better with lobster (or bacon)? Since the latter is off-plan, I'll take the former!

I agree with trying as much as you can! If you can get individual packets or do some trades with others for some, THEN you'll really know. Some coaches sell individual packets even tho FDA labeling they are really supposed to sell the box. My coach makes the nutrition labels available so people can have more options. If IP would just label the packets, it would reduce that problem!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

All the above is great advice. I would also recommend pre-planning your day the night before. Know which packets you're eating along with your meat and vegetables. It helps me get prepared for the next day. When you have a plan you can easily follow it, without wondering what you're doing.

Also, I grocery shop once a week for meat and twice for fresh veggies. I come home, weigh my meat on a food scale and individually freeeze 8 oz portions in zip-loc bags. In the morning I grab whichever type of meat I want and let it defrost in the fridge during the day that way it's ready to cook when I get home. I also clean, process and portion out my veggies. It makes everything easy to grab and go.

Being prepared will make a world of difference!
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #9  
Restart IP 9/26/13

Thanks so much! SUCH great advice! Couldn't agree more with having everything prepped ahead of time. I know this always worked for me even when I try to watch what I eat.

KLD81230-Love the idea of the pizza type thing with the tomato basil! Will try when I decide to get that mix.

I will have to see if my coach will let me try one pack of something. I know that I can exchange anything I don't like. Which is good to know.

Lisa, thank you for telling me about the adding oil and salt straight on to food. Was wondering if that would make a difference. I see you post here often, that's great!!

Just tried the dill pickle zippers! Love them....that's 3 for 3 today! yay!!

Very Nice meeting you guys...looking forward to learning more
Old 01-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #10  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 225/175.5(home) 176.2(IP)/120

Height: 5'0"

Hey newbie, I'm a newbie too! I tried the tomato basil soup today for lunch and didn't hate it but wouldn't put it at the top of my list. That said, I'm going to try that focaccia bread recipe tonight cause that sounds yummy.
Desafinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #11  
Restart 3/1/15

S/C/G: 307.4/270/200

Height: 5'7

Welcome, when I started my coach gave me a pack of most items with a menu to use if I choose to. It actually helped so I was able to try several things. You will notice that as you go along your taste buds change so what taste yucky now might be great in a couple of weeks. I personally love the choc, van & straw/banana drinks. I like the chicken patty crumbled up on a salad or even the southwest cheese curls on a salad. The jello is great as well. Once again welcome

Last edited by Sammie12; 01-14-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Sammie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #12  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 225/175.5(home) 176.2(IP)/120

Height: 5'0"

OH! And the pancake you can make with the cereal is delicious!
Desafinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 325/312/190

Welcome!! Here's a few answers from my experience:

I like having raw veggies to munch on at work, throughout the day. I found one of my plastic containers is about 2 cups, so I cut up my veggies the night before and bring it to work. I use peppers, celeri, cucumbers, broccoli, etc.

Also, read on here that others carry an emergency IP pack in their purse. I started putting at least one or two packets in purse, a small container with my vitamins for the day, etc. to make sure I never get to work with no food for the day!

I like the Ready to Drink or pre-made puddings because I find it easier. It's a big more expensive, though. I already make breakfast for the kids, pack their lunches, make sure I have my veggies, so I like the convenience of the premade stuff.

I love the snack - soy puffs, zippers, ridges, soy nuts, strawberry waffers, etc. Haven't found one I didn't like. Had to buy extra packages of Apple Cinnamon Soy Puffs because my kids love them! I try to wait until the evening to eat them, since that's when I like to munch on something. I haven't tried many bars because of this!

The only packet I really could not eat was the tomato basil soup! It was the second IP food I ever ate. I've been a bit shy of the soups as a result, but I do like the chicken noodle soup.
1LittleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #14  
IP start: 21 October 2012

S/C/G: 190.6/135.4/140

Height: 5'6"

As others have already said, be sure to get your water in....and also get a good night's sleep. I find if I don't drink enough water and/or not enough sleep the next day I feel dehydrated and hung over. I drink almost 4 liters per day. It's more than required for IP, but it's what works for me.

My typical IP foods have been the yogurt drink for breakfast and RTD chocolate for lunch and snack.....not a lot of variety, but I really like them! I make a big salad from the salad bar at work with broccoli, red onion, spinach, peppers, and cukes. I pack a big lunch bag each week with my IP foods and my own salad dressing. I also like to add a couple teaspoons of the IP soy nuts (any flavor) to my salad. Gives it a little extra something.

When I'm at home for breakfast, I make a shake with the dark chocolate pudding mix, water, ice, and a cup of baby spinach (thanks to Lisa for this idea!). You can't taste the spinach and it's a nice way to get some of your veggies in.

I have really enjoyed this diet and done well on it. I love meat, eggs, and veggies, and am not a huge fruit or carb person, so haven't missed them. I loooove dairy, but have surprisingly not missed them. Sometimes I add Veggie Shreds (by galaxy nutrition, found in grocery store with tofu) to my salad or omelets. The flavor is great and they melt nicely.

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll do great!
pocahontas812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #15  
Restart IP 9/26/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas812 View Post

When I'm at home for breakfast, I make a shake with the dark chocolate pudding mix, water, ice, and a cup of baby spinach (thanks to Lisa for this idea!). You can't taste the spinach and it's a nice way to get some of your veggies in.
Yum...that sounds really good! Will have to make sure I get the dark chocolate pudding mix next time!