Old 12-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

Default Wheat Belly-January

Nora-figured I would start the thread for us. Hopefully we will gain a few others too! Anyway thought I would tell u about myself. I am a married (25 years) mom of three. I will be 47 on January. 1 son (29), dd (22) , dd (almost 21). All of my kids are grown and out on their own. My youngest is a junior in college. My oldest is married with 1 daughter & one on the way.

Been struggling with my weight most of my life. This is the least amount I have weighed in years. I did hcg two years ago and have maintained pretty well. Am up about 7 lbs from my lowest. Had lost a total of 25 doing that. But it was really hard and can't imagine doing another round of that. yuck!!! Really want a way of life now. kwim?

Anyway real excited for this to be the last thing I need to do to maintain a healthy weight and feel great again.

How long have you been doing it? Have you seen any weight loss yet?
maryshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/220/160

Height: 5'6

Hello Ladies! I just googled wheat belly in search of recipes and found this! I just started today! So one meal in but excited to be starting and even more excited there's a group! I have been on similar programs and found success but ultimately gained my weight back and then some as of recently. My friend is also starting but she's waiting until after New Years, I wanted to start right away as I feel I won't be tempted New Year's Eve.

The parts that I love is the cheese! And of course being allowed red wine and dark chocolate doesn't hurt either!

Can't wait to hear about your success on this!
Cinders35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 235/205/165

Height: 5'4"

Great idea. I have lost 30 pounds this year.. I only started Wheat Belly in Sept and have lost 15 pounds since then although was starting to eat low carb before that as hubbie started his weight loss journey 2 years ago with low carb and weight training. He has lost 90 pounds. I have a knee injury which prevents me exercising and I take cortisone - so ANY weight loss for me is a miracle !

I have done Atkins in the past - the old 1972 Atkins - and lost heaps of weight but gained it all back again. This time Wheat Belly feels different. You just feel so well on it , that you never feel like cheating. And there is so much variety that you never feel "oh no not meat again LOL"

Since being on WB - my knee pain has almost vanished ! I am now walking a little each day and no longer need my walking stick in the mornings to get out of bed. My weight loss is slow. Only a pound or so a week. During one month I plateaued and then found it was the slice of carrot cake I was eating. Carrots and dried fruit is too carby. As soon as I went back to normal WB food - the weight loss started again.

I have a few links saved but I am not sure what we can post here. Gourmet Girl Cooks has a Blog where she puts her meals online... which can help be a guide. She has lost 52 pounds and deliberately stopped exercising to see if WB worked.. Over time people simply eat a lot less food as the hunger is no longer there. I have Insulin Resistance and even the tablets were not helping. Now I hope to get off them one day :-) I have at least another 30 pounds to go. I did not lose any weight over Christmas. I had one small meal of Tiramisu ( with sugar) and have suffered brain fog ,hunger, pain and fatigue ever since. Yesterday I felt back to normal and today the scales said so too ! I now have a WB Tiramisu to try instead!

Last edited by Nora52; 12-29-2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: she anounced her now 50 pound loss !
Nora52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #4  

Morning all!! Today is start day for me. Very excited. have hubby talked into doing it with me for at least 3 weeks. Will see how that goes. He is addicted to candy and coke. Bought plenty of veggies, avocados, & nuts to get started. Threw away all the cookies and crap from the holidays. Back to work today too so that should help me stay on track.

Cinders-Welcome to the group!!! How are you doing so far?

Froggy-awesome job so far. The 25 lb weight loss is incredible but I think the ability to lose one meds is even a bigger victory. Here's hoping you continue to reduce your insulin. I plan on having no wheat replacements for a solid month. I told dh that I would make him a few treats during his 3 week trial. Hoping he will feel so good and have lost some weight that he will want to continue on with me. Looking forward to hearing which recipes you like. I haven't bought the cookbook yet. Let me know if it's worth it.

Nora-When I did Atkins I felt crappy too. Hoping to feel full of energy and wellness this time around. Great weight loss so far. Your husband's doing phenomenal too! Thanks for the tip on gourmet girl. Will check out her blog too. If your on facebook, there is a page called wheat belly recipe central, that has a lot of great recipes too. I plan on going simple this first week & then getting creative with the recipes.

Have a great day!!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #5  

Hello maryshady

Today is day 5 and I feel awesome! Today was severe dry mouth which is a good sign and I don't feel deprived in any way! Even on New Years I was able to keep it wheat free and tried the cheesecake recipe in the book. Instead of making it as a cake I made mini ones in cupcake cups and froze them in case I need something sweet!

I am already down some weight too and given my TOM is due in 2 days I was happy to see a smaller number.

How is day one going?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 148/136/125

Height: 5'6"

Default My journey

Hi,

I have lost 18 pounds since staring WB about five months ago. It is really amazing for me since I've been trying for a couple of years and was eating healthy or what I thought was healthy and the scale didn't budge. I read WB and decided to try it for my headaches and to see if it would help with weightloss. I was very excited that it helped with both and finally starting to feel like the old me as I was under 120 lbs before I had kids. unfortunately I've gained back about 6 lbs over Xmas, not by eating wheat but lots of chocolate and salty snacks. I'm back on track now and hoping the weight will come off quickly. I keep my eating fairly simple. I don't bake very much at all but do have some GF pizza dough mix I bought from a bulk store. I do use oatmeal but I may try cutting it out as I have had some bloating recently which I haven't had in awhile. Does anyone know if it's true that buckwheat is ok? It would be nice to occasionally have pancakes with the kids.
Sparkygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:18 AM   #7  

Hi Sparky, Glad to hear you are back on track after Christmas. So am I. Today I felt the best for about a week after cutting back on sugars again. I added some coconut oil to my afternoon coffee - whipped it up - and it did really help satisfy.

In answer to your question about buckwheat... is it carby ? We are supposed to stay <15grams per meal ( to lose weight ) so it may push you to the limits there.Once in a while may be OK - my hubbie did it very slowly with occasional pasta etc - but then you may feel really fatigued for a week ?

Have you tried the almond flour/ coconut flour type pancakes ? I have not yet but plan to try them as a waffle soon. Onwards we go! I have at least another 15kg to lose ... but feel so well when on the WB that this time I think I will make it. I am already sorting out my old "big" clothes for the op shop! I am NEVER going back !

Last edited by Nora52; 01-03-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:22 AM   #8  

Hi Mary, I checked out the FaceBook page. Awesome ! If I feel hungry I will try some of those recipes. So far... no hunger so I am not fussed about any food. It is amazing ! I want to try the pizza and foccacia recipes soon.. Will let you know how they go.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #9  

good morning ladies!!! Yesterday went great. I am pretty used to eating this way as part of the hcg diet. The phase 3 is mostly wheat belly with more fruit but you are suppose to slowly add in carbs to see what you can tolerate. The problem with that for me is I slowly go back to my old way of eating. Of course over the holidays I pretty much ate what I wanted and had a 3 lbs weight gain but i was down almost 1 lb this morning so happy with that. I weigh everyday, again due to hcg. Just am in the habit of it now & don't want to stop.

My dh did really well too. Hoping he stays the course. He could lose about 15 lbs but after reading the book and realizing how bad coke is for you I hope this helps him at least kick that habit.

Sparky-Awesome job on the weight loss. I would love to lose 20 lbs altogether. I found you a pancake recipe:
3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon Cinnamon
1 tablespoon Truvia
1 tablespoon water
1 large egg
blueberries
Once I fogot the steiva so I topped it with peaches. top with peaches. Anything you do with pancakes. Dolores also makes it with cacao powder and cacao nibs.
Mix together the ground flaxseeds, baking powder, cinnamon, Truvia in a small bowl. Stir in the 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Beat in the egg and 1 tablespoon water until blended.
Grease a microwave-safe glass or plastic pie pan with coconut oil. Pour in the batter and spread evenly over the bottom. Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes until cooked. Let cool for 5 minutes. OR cook it in a pan like a pancake.
HTH!!

Cinders-Glad to hear you are doing so well!!!! I think I will make the cheesecake recipe and do the same thing. I'm pretty sure the dry mouth means you are in ketosis which is awesome for losing weight.

Nora-I bought coconut oil about a month ago but not sure how to use it. What did you do to put it in your coffee? I love that page for recipes but I wish there was a way to organize them for easy access. I visited the gourmet girl site...wow!!! It is incredible. Will def be trying some of those recipes

Have a great day!!!

Last edited by maryshady; 01-03-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #10  

Hey maryshady

My recommendation is to alter a bit of the recipe. I would remove the cinnamon from the crust and maybe top with a couple of blueberries. I didn't find the cinnamon compliment the lemon in the recipe very well but that's just me I would remove either one or the other.

Feeling awesome down another pound since yesterday! I feel like, right now, it's easy to follow and sustainable. Tomorrow will be a challenge as I am on the road for work for the day so I'm going to pack with me some nuts, veggies and cheese so that I'm not tempted to cheat.

It's so nice to have other people to talk to about this! Thank you for your encouragement!

Cheers everyone!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #11  

cinders-thanks for the tip on the recipe. Promised dh I would make him pancakes on the weekend. So let you know how we like them
Great job on losing another 1lb!!1
Old 01-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 148/136/125

Height: 5'6"

Default Thanks Mary

For the pancake recipe, I will try it. I'm always looking for new breakie recipes. I usually make a smoothie on work mornings and eggs on the weekend and oatmeal sometimes too. I tried an overnight oatmeal and Greek yogurt with fruit recipe that I liked if anyone wants it. I have tried baking with coconut flour but the texture didn't turn out. I'm curious Nora about what you do with coconut oil to put in your coffee? I use mine in my smoothie but I have a big tub that's not going down veryfast and I know it's supposed to be very healthy,
Sparkygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #13  

Congrats on the good start Mary! I did not gain over the holidays but stopped losing... which is a shame as it is so exciting to lose those little mini pounds EVERY day ! I looked at the hcg diet at one stage but it looked a bit 'medical' for me. I was scared off by the med side effects and warnings ! Even my Dr was pushing for it ( she did it herself) but in the end I was glad as I had no ER gyno problems and my Dr gained all her weight back anyway when she stopped. Your hubbie definately needs to read the book WB. The cardio risk is so great when the wrong foods are eaten...

Cinders, Is that dry mouth dehydration and toxins ? If so - detox , detox, detox !

I am loving the coconut oil. I put a tablespoon in my hot coffee and give it a little whisk and it soon melts. It makes the milk extra creamy and the awesome thing is that it stops the hunger for ages and ages! Some WBers I was reading about seem to have a morning coffee with about 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, a bit of organic butter and last all day until dinner. Lots of energy - no hunger... I can feel it already and I am only on a small dose of CO. I am definately a CO convert now ! It even makes your lips all glossy and moisturised at the same time LOL

Hope everyone enjoys WB. I know I have tried so many diets and they always are too hard or too unsustainable. I have done so many and often for ages at a time. But always fell off the wagon.. which was when wheat was reintroduced or too many carbs and sugar added. I am super sensitive to even fruit. This WOE seems too easy.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 AM   #14  

Watch that oatmeal Sparky. It is not WB friendly. It will spike your Blood Sugar, cause inflammation, small LDL probs etc etc I have seen the experiment someone did ! Wow - you should have seen the BS rise! Worse than a Snickers Bar ( as did whole wheat)

Smoothies are great but make sure the carbs are <15g per serve . If you are a smoothie girl then you will have to play around with vegetables ( not carrots) and the smallest amount of berry fruit.

Coconut baking is harder. It needs a lot of moisture. A mix of almond flour/ coconut flour seems to work. More almond flour than coconut. Or Flax ground.. The WB Cookbook sounds very good.. It has all been tested to work.. There is a very good wrap recipe I keep meaning to try but I just don't have the craving for it now.

Sounds like you are still not there yet though...to be craving the old foods. Do you like bacon ? Eggs ? Can you do that for breakfast... Try the CO... it really packs a punch! Yum... I could just have just a CO coffee for breakfast these days. We don't need all that food every few hours when we WB !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkygrrl View Post
For the pancake recipe, I will try it. I'm always looking for new breakie recipes. I usually make a smoothie on work mornings and eggs on the weekend and oatmeal sometimes too. I tried an overnight oatmeal and Greek yogurt with fruit recipe that I liked if anyone wants it. I have tried baking with coconut flour but the texture didn't turn out. I'm curious Nora about what you do with coconut oil to put in your coffee? I use mine in my smoothie but I have a big tub that's not going down veryfast and I know it's supposed to be very healthy,

Last edited by Nora52; 01-04-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #15  

It's definitely not dehydration as I drink a lot of water a minimum of ten or twelve glasses a day. And the dry mouth seems to be alternating days. Yesterday was dry mouth all day and this morning not as much.

It's officially been one week today and I feel great. I'm not stepping on the scale today as I have my TOM so want to give it a day or two before I know my week 1 loss. But what I am excited about is that I haven't had one thing that isn't on the list of allowed foods and no desire to. Focused and ready for week 2!!!