Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #1  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Question What have you been "too fat" for?

For those of you already familiar with my posts, I'm sure I've mentioned numerous times that I've always been fat; not just overweight, but obese and beyond. Aside from my lower grade school years, I've never felt "normal." And looking back, it saddens me when I realize how much of my world completely revolved around my weight. I felt restricted from doing everyday things by either feeling like I was too fat or actually being told so, even if I really wasn't. It has affected every single little aspect of my life, turning my negative emotions and predictions into self-fulfilling prophecies of doom.

I'm still in the process of convincing myself that dammit, I'm not too fat for all these things, no matter what my weight might be. We all deserve to be happy and enjoy life to its fullest, to love ourselves and feel worthy. It's really difficult to enjoy anything in life when we don't feel worth it! Here are some examples of unhealthy thinking/bad patterns I've recognized within myself that I'm working on acknowledging and changing for the better. Some are from the past, some are still current struggles, and all have hindered my enjoyment of life in some way or another. I don't want my entire life and well-being to revolve around my weight! I'm hoping that listing them out like this will be therapeutic for not only myself, but for others too. Here goes . . .

You're too fat for a boyfriend. While it may seem silly to point out now that I'm married, one of the reasons I didn't even go on my first date until I was in my mid-20's was because I honestly felt I was too fat to have a boyfriend. I don't think anyone told me this but myself, but I believed it to the point that I shut out all potential guys that might have shown interest in me. I actually remember when a male friend came into my work to ask me something, a coworker asked if the guy was my boyfriend. And my first thought was, "What the heck, of course he isn't, who would want to date someone as fat as me?" Instead I gave a simple "no" and wondered how on earth my coworker thought I was "normal" enough to attract the opposite sex. Wow, that's some really disordered thinking there, and is probably why I stayed in my first relationship (which was emotionally abusive) for way too long. Luckily I'm in a better place now.

You're too fat to wear high heels. I've been told how many times it simply either doesn't look good ("hippo on stilts") or is actually dangerous ("your weight will break them")! These days it's more of a balance issue, but I no longer feel I'm not thin enough to feel entitled.

You're too fat to wear bold nail polish. My mom often drilled it into my head when I was a preteen/teenager that I couldn't wear any nail polish other than light pastel pinks or clear. Bright/bold/dark colors were bad because they'd draw attention to how fat my fingers were. I used to wear a size 10 ring (even back when I was 14 years old!) and it's still shocking to me that I now wear a size 7. But I still see my fingers as these fat little sausages because I can't stop hearing how fat and ugly my fingers supposedly are.

You're too fat to wear a dress. Especially anything with an empire waist. Another thing my mom often drilled into my head was that anything that allowed my stomach to even slightly stick out automatically made me look pregnant, which was the worst possible thing for people to say or think. I still struggle with wearing dresses; I'm still just not comfortable in them and hate the way they make me feel. I'm hoping that'll change one of these days and wish it wasn't so directly related with the shape of my stomach.

You're too fat to work at such-and-such job. This one may sound a little crazy, but it's yet another thing my mom drilled into my head. When I was in junior high, my older brother's girlfriend worked at Bergner's (a department store). Being a typical preteen, I absolutely loved the mall and expressed that it would be so much fun to work at a store like that. My mom told me flat out that I was too fat to be an employee there, that they only hired pretty girls that took care of themselves. I'm sure my mom was trying to provide me with motivation to lose weight, but it only made me feel hopeless about not only myself, but bitter over how others saw me. I think I'm still trying to get over that all these years later. It probably doesn't help to know that I got passed over job opportunities in the past because of my weight.

You're too fat to be active in public. One of my best friends in high school made the cheerleading squad and she literally stuck out because of her weight. Even though she could do all the moves required, people often gossiped about her, denying there was any way she could have made tryouts on her own. They claimed the only way she got in was because her mom threatened to sue to the school for discrimination (which of course, never happened). To this day I'd be willing to bet that many of our old classmates still remember her as little more than the "fat cheerleader." And why did I never try out? I was told that if I indeed made it, I'd always be remembered as the "fat cheerleader" too. The feeling still sticks with me whenever I catch myself wanting to do something physical in front of others, like dancing, bowling, swimming, or jogging. I feel like I'm just too fat and will look like an idiot because of it. I'm working really hard on that again.

You're too fat to make any effort to look pretty. This is something I've had to slowly ease into. I remember just feeling ridiculous trying to look "pretty" or "hot" long before I was familiar with the phrase, "lipstick on a pig." I just felt putting forth any effort into my appearance would be utterly futile. It was especially difficult at my highest weight when I had so few options for clothes, so really, what was the point of makeup, wearing contacts, or doing my hair? I already looked like a slob based on my weight alone, right? It's still a struggle, but with a lot of hard mental work on the subject, it gets a little better over time.

So do any of your struggle with similar issues? How have you worked through them? What do you still struggle with?
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

That's so hard to overcome! But don't believe such lies, it's nonsense.

I'm so blessed, I'd say there aren't any of those I really indulged in, even at my high weight. I never believed my weight made me less valuable.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I've been told I was too fat to get pregnant by a nurse and a doctor.
I cried and cried, but I've proven them wrong and have two beautiful kids to show for it.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #4  
Just Keep on Running

S/C/G: 178/142.6/120

Height: 5'6.5

someone actually said you are too fat to wear nail polish? my god. and your mom of all people? thats just wrong and that is just crazy to me.
energie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elladorine View Post
And looking back, it saddens me when I realize how much of my world completely revolved around my weight. I felt restricted from doing everyday things by either feeling like I was too fat or actually being told so, even if I really wasn't. It has affected every single little aspect of my life, turning my negative emotions and predictions into self-fulfilling prophecies of doom.

I'm still in the process of convincing myself that dammit, I'm not too fat for all these things, no matter what my weight might be. We all deserve to be happy and enjoy life to its fullest, to love ourselves and feel worthy. It's really difficult to enjoy anything in life when we don't feel worth it! Here are some examples of unhealthy thinking/bad patterns I've recognized within myself that I'm working on acknowledging and changing for the better.
You are a brave and brilliant woman, and this is a wonderfully insightful & well-written post, which I plan to re-read to myself in future.

Thank goodness we never said to ourselves, "You're too fat to write?" or "You're too fat to read" or "You're too fat to be smart." Why couldn't we extrapolate from those exclusions into the other parts of our lives?
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #6  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I've felt that I was/am too fat to be active in public (I feel ridiculus jogging down the street, with my chest flopping all over the place). I've also told myself that I'm too fat to get a job waitressing again because of my weight.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Krissy, one of my favorite waitresses at my favorite steak house is probably 5'10" and 300-ish, if I had to guess. She is intelligent, thoughtful, very diligent with our orders, and attractive, too. Her recommendations are spot on my personal flavor preferences, as well . I assure you she is neither too big to waitress nor does her size in any way affect the fact that she's an incredible server (and gets tips, accordingly, at least from us!).

Foolishness, I can't believe people say these things
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 333.5/306.5/200

Height: 5 ft. 11 in.

Looking at your list I would have to say that I struggled with most of these "I'm too fat fors". It is sad when even parents put into our heads that we are less then because of our weight. I have overcome most of these, am now married to a wonderful man who loves me for me. The heels I stay away from because I am already tall and now that I have mobility issues they are dangerous for me to wear.

Good luck with your ongoing efforts to overcome this list of issues.
meandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

I am always surfing around reading stuff on the internet. I ran across a website for daughters of narcissistic mothers. I am not saying this is your mother, but it might bear reading.

http://daughtersofnarcissisticmothers.com/

The treatment of overweight women by others is just astounding to me. I have a friend and to some extent even my husband who are very intolerant of overweight people. I just do not know where they get this stuff. My friend poked her finger in my stomach and commented on how fat I was. That is so out of line...

I have been over weight since I was about 40. I was never obese until this last time I needed to lose weight, so I have not been through what you and some others on here have experienced...but my goodness.

There are plenty of overweight women with beautiful hair, nails and clothes. They have confidence, personality, and are probably wearing dark, sparkly nail polish. Do not let anyone discourage you. Be beautiful at the weight you are and be beautiful if you lose weight.

I know it's easy for me to say, but seriously there really are people who fall in a normal weight range who are not all about judging overweight women. They have their own lives and inadequacies to think about.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I think a lot of these are all in people's heads. I've thought a lot of these things, too. I am in theater and for a while I was scared as people would just look at my weight. But hearing people's feedback, I know it wasn't so. It was all in my head. People discussed my performance.

It takes patience and work, but I know you can overcome these thoughts. You deserve to enjoy what everyone else does, too. Looking pretty, nail polish and all.
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #11  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

All of these and then some. I remember telling a friend that I was seeing a guy and adding the qualifier " he likes big girls" because I had myself convinced that a fetish was the only reason someone would date me.

I still work pretty hard on the appearance part. I spent a lot of time thinking there was no point in me looking good.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 169/ticker/140

Height: 5.4

I think i became one time in my life 'too fat for my own health' when at 182 pounds i started having pre-diabetes readings in my blood sugar. Thankfully at my current weight (even though overweight) i have no such issues. Health is what scares me most of all because my mother died of diabetes.....
Ellemphriem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

I can relate. I didn't suffer from being overweight as a kid and teenager though, which must be so hard.

Last summer I went to a roller coaster park (Canada's Wonderland) and was worried I'd be too fat to ride. Not in my head but actually. Like the restraints wouldn't fit. Turned out I wasn't but I still felt self-conscious.

And dating. I have a profile on an online dating site and found myself only contacting guys who were overweight or unattractive. Not that a guy's physical appearance is all that important to me, but I was intimidated by the fit ones, thinking they could never be interested in me. I'm not very active on there anymore. I think I'm waiting to lose weight.
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/172/150

Default been there!!

Oh, it was as if i had written the post. My parents belittled me for being " fat" ( while i would say i was not fat, just a bit plump, i was 12 - 15 pounds overweight). what all i did not have to endure cos of those extra pounds. i know they said it to motivate me towards losing weight while all it did was push me to the opposite end. i felt sad and depressed but never did anything to lose weight cos i felt good for nothing, worthless piece of '****".
It is as if fat people do not have the right to live....

Thanks to my wonderful husband who has made life worth living and helped me get my self esteem back.
iamritu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 182/158/105

Height: 4ft 11"

I can totally relate to this.

It is odd, I did not gain weight until I started an office job when I was 17. Before then, I was normal to underweight and this was when my mother made comments such as I was too fat to get a boyfriend (been with my bf for 11 years !), too fat to wear a dress/skirt, too fat to try to cover it with makeup/nice hair.

Since I have gained weight I have not had any of these comments and now I am a much stronger person I know she would never say these things (even though it is now I could do with a kick up the backside). I have often wondered if a part of why I have gained weight is because I have always thought I was bigger than I actually was.

I still struggle to make an effort in terms of nice clothes, makeup etc and it is a new year's resolution nearly every year to make more effort to pamper myself.
lisa4621 is offline   Reply With Quote