General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #1  
babybat

Height: 5'7

Post Seeing results, but not as much as I would like :( any advice?

I've been sticking to a certain amount of calories a day (which was figured out on myfitnesspal) and I've lost two pounds, it's been at least a week (almost two) I haven't gotten out much (I try to exercise 3 times a week)

And I'm just wondering if there is a safe way to lose more weight. I don't mind waiting but 2 pounds doesn't seem like much. So is there anything I can do?

My ultimate goal would be to be losing 10 pounds each month, do you think that's possible?

Thanks
Also how are you doing?
And any special plans for Christmas? (if you celebrate )
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 131/sig/110

slow and steady wins the race... i heard the more gradual the weight loss the more likely you would maintain it so going slow not actually a bad thing.

I would really like to lose 10lbs a month too but that would be a stretch for me.

you can try building some lean muscle mass, it increases your BMR so you burn more calories throughout the day because muscles use more calories than fat. Not suggesting to bulk up or anything close to that but like core exercises like strengthening the stomach muscles and also toning the arms and legs will probably help.
Lemongrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Two pounds a week is an excellent loss. Sometimes you will lose more, sometimes less. We can't dictate what we we will lose, it is all up to our bodies and everyone is different.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #4  
babybat

Quote:
slow and steady wins the race... i heard the more gradual the weight loss the more likely you would maintain it so going slow not actually a bad thing.

I would really like to lose 10lbs a month too but that would be a stretch for me.

you can try building some lean muscle mass, it increases your BMR so you burn more calories throughout the day because muscles use more calories than fat. Not suggesting to bulk up or anything close to that but like core exercises like strengthening the stomach muscles and also toning the arms and legs will probably help.
Yeah I guess you're right, I'll be happy with anything lost.
But I'm sure if I worked harder I would see a better result.
I'll just keep working on it, thanks.

Quote:
Two pounds a week is an excellent loss. Sometimes you will lose more, sometimes less. We can't dictate what we we will lose, it is all up to our bodies and everyone is different.
Yeah I guess it's not too bad, if I keep with it I could lose 100 or so lbs in a year, not bad (:
Thanks!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #5  
Shrinking Angela

S/C/G: 210/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Hmm. If you aren't losing, you might just be having a slow start. That happened to me. Just keep with it. Exercise as much as you can. Eat balanced meals. Be sure to drink enough water. Eventually, your body will wake-up and be like, "Oh! I'm supposed to be burning up this fat!" and you'll drop some more.

And 2 pounds in 1 week is actually just right. It can sometimes be unhealthy to lose too much in a week, so don't worry if you don't lose 5 pounds in a week.
themusicalfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

I'd be thrilled if I lost 2lbs a week, right now I average 5-6 lb loss a month,
And I exercise 4-6 times a week running and weight lifting. Our bodies are particular and yes it's distressing but you gotta go one day at a time and be thankful for any loss
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:51 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

10 pounds a month would be great, but it is not realistic. We'd all like to lose that much, but most of us struggle with the plateaus and slower loss. It can become discouraging and defeating if you set yourself up with such difficult goals and then cannot make them.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #8  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemongrab View Post
I second this. I'm going super slow, but y'know, in the long run, you'll be more and more adapted to your diet and you'll actually stop eating as much as you may have used to. Weight loss is more than just seeing the scale drop numbers, it's a change in lifestyle.
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babybat View Post
I've been sticking to a certain amount of calories a day (which was figured out on myfitnesspal) and I've lost two pounds, it's been at least a week (almost two) I haven't gotten out much (I try to exercise 3 times a week)

And I'm just wondering if there is a safe way to lose more weight. I don't mind waiting but 2 pounds doesn't seem like much. So is there anything I can do?

My ultimate goal would be to be losing 10 pounds each month, do you think that's possible?
Since I started a bit higher than you, I can honestly say I lost 10lbs a month for the first 2. BUT I do believe it was the drastic changes I made to my life, i.e. I cut out ALL junk food (no chips, no bread, no pizza, no cookies, no soda), replaced most of my beverages with almost all water daily (minimum 64oz), counted my calories on my fitness pal's app on my phone, and exercised daily. In the beginning I could only walk 10 minutes at a time on my treadmill, it was so embarrassing. But it worked doing it 3 times a day to start for a total of 30 mins.

So, yes, I do think someone of our weight can lose 10lbs for the first month or so but it has to be done eating healthy (and enough) plus a bit of fitness in there. Just don't depend on it once the pounds start to come off!

Good luck in your journey. I couldn't have accomplished what I did without all of the helpful people here. I have learned so much and this time it's a lifestyle change for me.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #10  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I have bad news for you, you're going fast! It's frustrating I know, but make the number on the scale your LAST focus. For example: I started at nearly 450 lbs, meaning I had at very least 250 lbs to lose. I'm only down 70. Seems like very little when you still have 180 to go (and actually probably closer to 200). If I focused on that fact, I would find very little joy in my progress.

So instead, In the beginning, I made my sole focus my strength gains. Getting up the stairs without winding out. More laps in the pool. Then the sizes started to drop. Then my rings loosened... and on and on. Finally I could see a little progress in the mirror.

I've turned the scale into a non entity. It's just a number I track. It's like accounting for me. I see my progress elsewhere.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #11  
babybat

Thanks everyone all your advice is appreciated

Quote:
10 pounds a month would be great, but it is not realistic. We'd all like to lose that much, but most of us struggle with the plateaus and slower loss. It can become discouraging and defeating if you set yourself up with such difficult goals and then cannot make them.
I agree with you completely, now that I understand I'm just happy with 2lb for now. 3lb would be even better but 10lbs is a bit much. Slow and steady

Quote:
Since I started a bit higher than you, I can honestly say I lost 10lbs a month for the first 2. BUT I do believe it was the drastic changes I made to my life, i.e. I cut out ALL junk food (no chips, no bread, no pizza, no cookies, no soda), replaced most of my beverages with almost all water daily (minimum 64oz), counted my calories on my fitness pal's app on my phone, and exercised daily. In the beginning I could only walk 10 minutes at a time on my treadmill, it was so embarrassing. But it worked doing it 3 times a day to start for a total of 30 mins.

So, yes, I do think someone of our weight can lose 10lbs for the first month or so but it has to be done eating healthy (and enough) plus a bit of fitness in there. Just don't depend on it once the pounds start to come off!

Good luck in your journey. I couldn't have accomplished what I did without all of the helpful people here. I have learned so much and this time it's a lifestyle change for me.
Thank you so much for wishing me luck, yeah I have cut out all junk and I'm not finding it difficult at all. (I have the odd craving but for the most part I'm adapted)

Quote:
I have bad news for you, you're going fast! It's frustrating I know, but make the number on the scale your LAST focus. For example: I started at nearly 450 lbs, meaning I had at very least 250 lbs to lose. I'm only down 70. Seems like very little when you still have 180 to go (and actually probably closer to 200). If I focused on that fact, I would find very little joy in my progress.

So instead, In the beginning, I made my sole focus my strength gains. Getting up the stairs without winding out. More laps in the pool. Then the sizes started to drop. Then my rings loosened... and on and on. Finally I could see a little progress in the mirror.

I've turned the scale into a non entity. It's just a number I track. It's like accounting for me. I see my progress elsewhere.
Thanks for the advice

--

Thanks to everyone else, sorry if I couldn't reply to all of you.
Your support means a world of difference to me