Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 114.4/93/93

Height: 5"3'

Unhappy So Today I fell off the wagon, hard. How do I get back on?

Hi there, I'm a long time lurker on this forum and I'm by no means new to dieting but two weeks ago I began my first successful weight loss program. I've been exercising every day, religiously counting calories and have lost 6lbs so far! But today my self control just fell apart. I didn't work out because I had to study for my english controlled assessment on Shakespeare tomorrow for my gcse (to think I used to LIKE Romeo and Juliet... Sigh) and so have been really stressed not only about work but about not getting enough exercise. And what do I do when I'm stressed? I eat! I managed to fight the sugar cravings until my brother went and brought home a chocolate cake - today of all days My mum pressing me to eat some was just enough to push me over the edge. I don't even want to think about how much cake I ate plus I felt so guilty that I decided to go and eat a kitkat (I know, no logic whatsoever in that). I feel truly awful now and I know I've gone way over my target calorie intake for today so I guess I'll just have to try and make room for extra exercise in between revising for even more exams this week. I'm in need of some serious motivation!
IzzyD07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: S/C/G 290/Ticker/150

Height: 5'7

Yea Izzy, the best advice is to NOT beat yourself up over eating cake. We all fall off the wagon from time to time!

Youre clearly having a stressful week, it's ok to cut back on exercising for this time.

This might be a good time to cut back your exercising to every other day for the week and get back to everyday when your exams are over.

Just remember it's not the end of the world, one cake won't ruin all the progress youve made! But quitting now, just b/c you had some cake WILL ruin your progress! Do what you can and keep going
ASaladandaDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

And don't weigh yourself tomorrow. Wait 1 week.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspixie View Post
I just noticed that you're 5ft 4 and your goal weight is 100 lbs? And you currently weigh 108lbs? And healthy weight range for your height is 111-146 lbs? I'm just curious about this I guess.
Is it? I thought 100lbs was healthy...
Old 12-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #5  

I tried the NHS healthy weight calculator and it said anything over 92lbs was healthy for me... Maybe because I'm 14 I should be lighter or something? Oh well, I may have to adjust my goals slightly then!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #6  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

One day does not matter. Wake up in the morning, brush yourself off and start again. Honestly! I "fell of the wagon" for 3 long days at the end of November. When I finally pulled myself together, I went back to the gym, went back to eating well and I felt much better within a couple of days. Cut yourself. Little slack.. It's not the end of the world. My biggest mistakes in past attempts to lose weight was to mess up, get frustrated with myself and throw in the towel for months or longer.

Oh honey, I just noticed your height and weight. You are at a very low weight for your height. I would focus on feeding your body nutritious food and not worry about losing anything.

Last edited by OhThePlaces; 12-09-2012 at 08:33 PM.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: S290/C ticker/G 190

Height: 5'11"

At 14, your body is building itself up to get ready for having babies, and maturing into the gorgeous young woman you will become. It is perfectly normal for many girls to put on an extra 5-10 pounds around 13-16 as their bodies get the whole puberty thing sorted out. Sometimes this looks like a bit of pudge, especially around your hips, but it's going to go away on it's own so don't worry about it too much. That said, at your current weight, you are on the low end of normal according to http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm (a bmi calculator that takes your age into account).

Learning healthy eating habits will serve you well as you grow older, but having a piece of cake once in a while won't hurt you. With my girls, we have a house rule that they are allowed two 100 calorie treats per day. A treat is anything that has virtually no nutritional value except carbs or fat, or is extremely processed (including sugary drinks!). They also get one 'free' day a month, usually for a birthday party or special occasion, and are fairly active children. I suspect that if you come up with similar rules for yourself, eat when you are hungry, and try to focus on eating nutritionally dense foods (fruit, veggies, lean meats, beans, seeds & nuts), you will find you maintain your already healthy weight and enjoy the benefits of good nutrition.

Have you talked to your mum or your doctor about food choices? I would strongly suggest that you go and talk to your doctor about your weight and staying healthy if you are at all concerned about it. There are lots of important growing things going on in your body right now, and a lack of the right nutrients can really throw a wrench in the works. Your doctor will be able to tell you more about what a healthy eating plan will look like for you so you don't miss anything important, and what a healthy weight range is for you. In the meantime, give yourself a break - a couple sweets aren't the end of the world.
scoutycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #8  

Thanks everyone, in that case maybe I don't have to focus so much on losing... But I'd still like to be fitter and more toned and yes, start eating more healthy!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/177/150

Height: 5'3"

I agree with all the posts, I remember being 14 and wanting to be healthy, thin and toned. I wish I looked and felt as good as I did when I was your age, embrace your body, exercise, eat healthy- and don't forget muscle weighs more than fat, so exercise might make you weigh more. Look up photos of fat vs. muscle, it always makes me feel better about my weight. I am a very muscle bound person and I use to hate it when I was younger, but I realize now I am lucky- some people want what I have! Also, dont become obsessive about weight, like the others pointed out- it varies due to your age, puberty, etc.
Annafterolin is offline   Reply With Quote