Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 153/120.8/100

Height: 5'1"

Question Why is there a difference?

OK so I've just come back from the gym, and I noticed something while on the treadmill.

We bought a treadmill this summer, and I have been using it sporadically. Recently I've been at it more frequently as I decided to reboot my diet/weightloss and I can now run for about 30-40 minutes non-stop (yay!).

However when I used the treadmill at the gym today, I found I couldn't run more than 8-9 minutes without getting puffed out! I had to have slow intervals and also slow down my running speed. I was so disappointed!

Why was there such a big difference? When I ran on the gym treadmill I began with the same speed I do at home. The only thing I can think of is that I run barefoot or with just socks on my treadmill at home, but how can that make such a big difference to my stamina?
KimblesCrumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #2  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

eh, i dont think you have enough data to make a conclusion
Not every run can be a winner, and its likely you might have had a bad run on your home treadmill today, too, or if youd run outside, or anywhere.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Is it possible that the gym treadmill is set at an incline?
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #4  

I'm pretty sure the gym treadmill wasn't on an incline. I set the speed and everything the same as at home.

It's a pity, the gym treadmills have a TV, radio and fan, so I was hoping for a luxurious run, watching a programme :P At home I run facing a pile of boxes in the garage.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #5  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimblesCrumbles View Post
I'm pretty sure the gym treadmill wasn't on an incline. I set the speed and everything the same as at home.

It's a pity, the gym treadmills have a TV, radio and fan, so I was hoping for a luxurious run, watching a programme :P At home I run facing a pile of boxes in the garage.
I would drag it in and put it in the middle of the living room and make everyone deal with it. Actually..I did that.

was the treadmill a newer model? Older?
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #6  

I've just gone for a run on my own treadmill to make up for lack of cardio earlier. It is a 'Confidence Fitness', very cheap.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #7  

We used to have it in the house but we moved it out to make room for the massive christmas tree :P
Old 12-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #8  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I'd guess variances with speed and incline on the gym machine to your machine. Speeds on treadmills can vary even if both say you're doing 4.0MPH maybe you're going faster or slower. And my treadmill at home is rather flat whereas the ones at the gym do have a slight incline. A slight incline is actually important to have since it simulates running outside more since outside your stride would be pushing you forward whereas on a treadmill you have to do less work to stride forward so a little incline makes up that difference.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote