Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 10:00 AM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking LWL #100!!! week of 28 Apr 03...

Incredibly enough, we are now at thread 100

Hope y'all had a great weekend...I'll post more later but first gotta make my eggs...
Old 04-28-2003, 10:44 AM   #2  

hi all

I had a good weekend. Freeday was a bust tho. Ate way too much crap. 200g nacho chips, a pudding cup, fresh pasta with cheese sauce, handful of candy, and more *blech*

never again. I felt AWFUL.

Im trying with lowering my carbs again this week. It didnt go so well last time so Im giving it another go. I am not doing cardio today as I woke up feeling sick AGAIN (sore throat to boot) and its pissing rain outside.

Goal for this week is to squat 55kg (maybe 60) and get all 3 cardio sessions in. I am going to start doing some wrist curls and more shoulder work.

Tidey
Old 04-28-2003, 12:16 PM   #3  
Banned

Not having a good day...details in journal. Obstacles, always more obstacles!

Gotta go eat my tuna and salsa. There are very good reasons why I don't keep food in my apartment that I shouldn't eat. The way I feel now is one of them.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:26 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Okay, I'm baccckk...

'Twas another iffy weekend, weather-wise...we are having the WEIRDEST weather around here. Historically it's supposed to be clear out by the end of April but we've been having some storm fronts move in. Eech. Kind of puts a damper on the weekend. We did go and visit the horses both days, even though I couldn't ride - supposedly I have a riding lesson tonight, unless Dee Dee cancels due to rain!

I actually went to Trader Joes and bought some REAL cranberry juice. Jim took a swallow of it when he saw it in the fridge and just about puked! I generally put lime juice in my water, but I used cranberry instead today...we'll see how it goes.

Tiki - if you're doing BFL, I'd say that fat is about 20% of calories. Make sure you have some 'healthy fat' each day - for instance, flax oil, salmon, or add a spoonful of peanut butter to one of your shakes (I just can't do that myself - keeping peanut butter around the house is just ASKING for trouble).

As far as those Godiva choccies - Jim did a VERY BAD thing on Thursday night by taking the plastic wrapping off the box, so they were EXPOSED... I made him take the box to work with him the next day - since I was off work on Friday I didn't need to have a box of chocolate at home with me...no way...

We ate crap this weekend too, even without the Godivas around. Did I mention that my sister wanted me to babysit overnight on Saturday so her and her hubby could have a romantic night together in The City (San Francisco that is). Of course since she has kids, her house is AWASH in 'bad food'. I started babysitting around 4:00 pm, Jim came over with the DVD of "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" (an awesome film) around 9:00 pm and we were watching it (nephew had already crashed out in bed by then) when the phone rings and guess who it was?!? My sister...on her cell phone...she told me that they had 'done everything they wanted to do' (shopping, went out to dinner, etc.) and now they were ready to come home! So what about the hotel room!?! It turns out that she got a low-price hotel room (I had given her some recommendations but she dismissed them all as too pricey) and they were getting ready to turn in...heard the water pipe banging and the bed wasn't nearly as comfy as the one at home...so they decided to come home that night! She just kills me sometimes I was glad to go home and sleep in my OWN bed though.

More later...gotta get some work done!
Old 04-28-2003, 01:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

MrsJim,

i know about nothing being as good as your own bed. i was so glad to see mine last night (or early this morning) i could have cried. i am actually doing brx but that peanut butter in the shake sounds good. brx lists nut butter as a no no, but as i seem unable to shake my fat paranoia, i don't think adding p'butter to a shake will do me in. i had bought some low-fat creamy pb in february and i was able to control myself and not eat the whole jar in a sitting.

i have determined that the more tired i am, the less will-power i have. go figure on THAT one. i better get some rest before i eat myself out of my just accomplished size 10s.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:21 PM   #6  

Morning Everyone,

Karen, I so agree! "Standing in the Shadows of Motown” is a great, great documentary. Thanks so much for recommending it. My husband and I watched it a few weeks ago and it brought back so many wonderful memories of our childhoods. My husband, who considers himself a funk and blues aficionado and I especially, liked how well the “old” songs were done by “current” performers. Though I don’t think Chaka Khan could sing anything badly. And Bootsy, well Bootsy is always wonderful, whatever he does.

Berry Gordy was a musical genius, who in my opinion has not really received his proper due. It is amazing what an “ear” and instinct he had for talent in musicians, singers and especially songwriters. You can hear the “Motown sound” sampled in so many rap and R&B songs of today. My biggest fear has always been that somehow the “music” and its history would be lost and forgotten. Thank God it’s not…it is just being transmuted into a modern sound.

Deb, so sorry about the job. Some days life really stinks. Sending positive vibes your way.

Sel

Last edited by Trinidad; 04-28-2003 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:41 PM   #7  

Hello everyone! I completed my first week of BFL and had my free day yesterday. I felt pretty good until free day, then I ate too much junk! My question is, does the free day actually help or hinder your progress? I can see how it is good to take a break , but I guess I am afraid that that one day will slow me up. I dunno. I really just want to make the most of the first challenge. My workouts and eating have been by the book, I'm just concerned about that ONE day. Is that being anal or what? I think that what I will do next week is make one meal a free meal rather than an all day food fiesta. Everyone have a great one!
Old 04-28-2003, 02:57 PM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

Sel - did y'all already get Standing in the Shadows...on DVD? It was just released on DVD here in the States last week. Some really great 'additional material' on the second disc. The Funks were just here last week - played in Oakland on Tuesday night. Unfortunately it wasn't really well publicized - we didn't know that they were there until two days before and the only tix available were $75 each...the current Funk Bros. tour is supposed to last a year and a half so we're hoping that they're going to swing back through the Bay Area.

Jim IDOLIZES the late great James Jamerson - we have this pic of him on our desktop at home:

And I do think Barry Gordy had a terrific 'ear'. If you get a chance to see it, Motown produced a film on the Temptations based on Otis Williams' (last surviving Temp) bio. We saw it on VH1 a couple weekends ago, and bought the DVD at the same time we bought SISOM. I don't think the Motown sound will EVER be forgotten. Those recordings are CLASSICS, just like the Beatles!

Tiki - I know what you're talking about - willpower (or whatever you want to call it) being less when you're tired...it's like you just want to throw open the refrigerator and say "SCREW IT! I'm going to eat whatever I want!!!" It's being able to get over that intial impulse that's tough. For me that's where journaling comes in...or taking a hot bath with a good book. Speaking of books, I really enjoyed reading that "Ultimate Fitness" book I was referring to in the previous thread. I'll have to re-read it...it's not a diet or exercise program - it's the author (who is a Spinning fan and also lifts weights) delving into WHY we exercise and the myths and truths behind it. You might not agree with everything she says but I'm sure you will find the book most interesting reading! One part of the book that I found especially interesting was where Ms. Kolata discussed the various educational programs for personal training (ACE, et al) as well as for certain classes (Spinning in particular) and the marketing behind them. I say very much worth a look!

Actually MSNBC has an excerpt from the book on their website.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/904293.asp

Jacklyn - my entire first challenge, Free Day was a total pigout and I still lost inches and pounds...I think that if having a Free Day to look forward to keeps you on the straight and narrow for the rest of the week, then go for it!
Old 04-28-2003, 04:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

my dad was talkin about that motown movie while i was there this weekend. i will have to pick it up. i didn't make it pass my first 5 impulses today. i was so pooped and hungry and i did not pack lunch. it is amazing how important being organized really is for success. on the bright side, with all this coffee and chocolate buzzing through my system, i have enough energy to get to the end of the day. however, i can feel the beginnings of a tummy ache :-(
Old 04-28-2003, 05:28 PM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

Exclamation Answer to Mindi's post regarding SeaSilver in #99

Mindi - I was surfin' the Net just now and came across this article about SeaSilver and remembered your post...

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...seasilver.html
Quote:
Misleading Claims for Seasilver™
Stephen Barrett, M.D.
Seasilver USA, Inc., headquartered in Carlsbad, California, markets Seasilver,™ a liquid multivitamin/multimineral/amino acid product claimed to "balance your body chemistry," "cleanse your vital organs," "purify your blood and lymphatic system," "oxygenate your body's cells," "protect your tissues and cells against challenges" and "strengthen your immune system." The company's founder, Bela Berkes, is said to have developed Seasilver in response to "health challenges" after he began "a life-long, world-encompassing quest to learn nature's secret to good health." The current chief executive officer is his son, Jason E. Berkes, who also heads AmericAloe, the product's manufacturer. A news report states that Seasilver was available through medical doctors in the 1980s and "relaunched" through a multilevel company in 1994. Today, its alleged benefits are touted through thousands of Web sites operated by distributors. The cost is $39.95 for a 30-day supply (1 bottle), $100 for 3 bottles, and $300 for 12 bottles.

Many of the claims made for Seasilver are illegal. For example, the company's 2001 booklet "Journey into Foundational Health" falsely stated that silver (one of its ingredients) "has been used successfully in the treatment of over 650 diseases." In 2002, after the FDA issued a warning letter, some claims on the company's Web site were toned down, but many distributor sites still display them.

Ingredients: Claims vs Facts
Seasilver lists more than 80 vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and enzymes on its label. The company's brochure and many Web sites make statements about each nutrient that are intended to suggest the product might produce various benefits. Some descriptions include alleged research findings that may or may not be true; and some contain therapeutic claims that are completely false. Some descriptions are accurate and merely describe the biochemical role of the nutrient in the body. Even these descriptions are potentially misleading because people who get enough in their diet will derive no benefit from obtaining more from the product. Moreover, no quantities are stated, which makes it difficult or impossible to judge whether the amounts of the individual ingredients are sufficient to actually affect the user's body. I suspect that in many cases they are not.

Seasilver is said to contain five proprietary ingredients:

Matrix Aloe Vera™ is said to contain "39 essential vitamins and minerals and all 23 amino acids" and allegedly "helps clean morbid matter" from the stomach, liver, kidneys, spleen, bladder and intestines. It is also said to have "powerful healing and soothing properties," help relieve stomach disorders, and eliminate "other numerous symptomatic conditions," and to "contain more oxygen molecules than the fluids of any other known plant." According to the company's Web site the oxygen content is important because "today's air contains only . . . half of what your body was designed for!" and oxygen levels in many parts of the world are declining.
Sealogica,™ described "a proprietary blend of 10 sea vegetables," is said to contain "every vitamin, macro mineral, trace mineral, amino acid, enzyme, and sea-veg phyto-nutrients in nature's perfect balance" and to be "nature's finest whole food for human nutrition."
Pau D'Arco, derived from a plant grown in South America, is claimed to contain "volatile oils and esters . . . proven to have immuno-stimulant properties," "stimulate the alimentary tract, liver, gall bladder and sweat glands," and "help the adrenal glands function better when a person is subjected to stress."
Cranberry concentrate, said to "contain certain factors that help cleanse and remove toxins from the kidneys, bladder, urinary tract, prostate and testicles."
Phyto-Silver™ is said to be "a proprietary blend of Matrix Aloe Vera™ and Sea Vegetables with concentrated phyto-nutrients rich in plant-based, non-metallic, Silver, along with other powerful antioxidant properties and phyto-nutrients in nature's perfect balance." According to the company's Web site, "Silver's greatest attribute is its unique ability to function as a superior second immune system in the body." (Earlier versions of Seasilver's Web site described this ingredient as colloidal silver and said: "We get silver from plants. If we cannot assimilate silver for some reason or as the tissues age, we develop a silver deficiency and an impaired immune system." Although the "silver deficinecy" claim no longer appears on the company's Web site, itstill appears on more than 100 distributor pages.)
The above claims are preposterous.

Aloe vera juice has FDA approval as a laxative ingredient but has not been proven effective for treating any disease. Its nutrient content is insignificant. Moreover, taking a supplement to get 23 individual amino acids would be foolish because these are present in adequate amounts in the diet of everyone who eats foods that contain protein -- and most Americans already consume more protein than they need in their diet.
Oxygen blood levels are maintained by breathing, and are not influenced by oxygen that enters the stomach. The idea that humans are generally in danger of oxygen deficiency is poppycock.

There is no such thing as "nature's finest food." Although some foods have more nutrients than others, what counts is overall diet. Dietary balance is is easy to achieve by consuming a wide variety of foods.
Pau d'arco has no proven therapeutic utility. Lapachol, its most celebrated ingredient, has demonstrated some anticancer properties but is too toxic for practical use. In trials with human cancer patients, as soon as effective plasma levels were attained, undesirable side effects were severe enough to require that the drug be stopped. Animal and other laboratory studies have demonstrated that lapachol also possesses antibiotic, antimalarial, and antischistosomal properties, but scientific studies have not been done in humans because of the problem of toxicity.
Cranberry juice may help prevent urinary tract infections, but it does not "help cleanse and remove toxins."
Silver has no nutritional value and, when taken by mouth, has no therapeutic usefulness. "Silver deficiency" is not a medically recognized condition.
Do people taking Seasilver need any other multivitamin and mineral supplement? The Web sites of many distributors state:

No. Seasilver™ contains vitamins, minerals, trace minerals, amino acids and enzymes known to man in nature's perfect balance. If you have health challenges, then you may require additional nutritional support, such as larger doses of Seasilver™, herbs, homeopathic, etc. Multiple vitamins that list the amount of each nutrient are all synthetic (man-made chemicals) that do no more than offer false energy, upset the balance of your body's chemistry and contribute to long-term negative side effects, such as cardio vascular disease and arthritis.

This advice is also dubious.

There are thousands of "enzymes known to man."
There is no such thing as "nature's perfect balance."
There is no logical reason to believe that the (unstated) amounts of nutrients in Seasilver would remedy any dietary deficiencies in typical users of the product. Women who need calcium supplements to prevent osteoporosis, for example, might need considerably more than Seasilver contains. (I assume that if Seasilver contained as much as 500 to 1000 mg of calcium per dose, the manufacturer would say that on the label.)
Synthetic nutrients do not "offer false energy," "upset the balance of your body's chemistry," or "contribute to long-term negative side effects." There are no significant differences between so-called "natural" and synthetic nutrients.
Seasilver USA's Web site contains testimonials from more than 30 users who claim that the product led to increased energy, hair growth, nail growth, improved digestion, and/or better sex life. The writers also claim to have been helped with acute gouty arthritis, allergy, chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, colds, depression, diabetes, Graves disease, insomnia, low hematocrit, lung cancer, Lyme disease, metastatic prostate cancer, migraine headaches, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, nocturnal leg cramps, rheumatoid arthritis, severe breathing problems, stiffness of the fingers, stress, and swollen prostate. Testimonials, of course, are extremely unreliable because the outcome may be due to other factors such as concomitant medical care or the natural course of the ailment. Disease-related claims are also illegal unless experts generally regard a product as safe and effective for it intended purpose.

Seasilver distributors claim Kirlian photography has demonstrated that Seasilver effects the person's "energy field." Many Web sites show Kirlian photographs taken before and after taking Seasilver. However, Kirlian photography does not measure "energy fields." During this procedure an object such as a person's hand is placed on photographic paper or film in an apparatus that generates a high-voltage, low-amperage, high-frequency electric current. The film is then exposed by air glow that occurs when electrical discharges pass between the subject and apparatus through the photographic material. Investigators have demonstrated that the pictures reflect the amount of perspiration, finger pressure applied to the camera, and about 20 other factors.

Advisory Board Hype
Seasilver's advisory board includes one medical doctor and three chiropractors, none of whom has any significant standing in the scientific community. The most noteworthy is Daniel G. Clark, who is described this way:

Dr. Clark is a Medical Doctor. In 1984, he was awarded the prestigious "Academic Award for Scientific Research in Cancer" in Rome, Italy. In 1988, he received the "Physician of the Year Award" in Broward County, Florida. He sponsors educational seminars for Physicians worldwide, providing lectures on quantum and molecular medicine. His special interests are chelation therapy for arteriosclerosis, alternative treatments for cancer and homeopathy and herbology for the prevention and treatment of chronic disease. He is actively involved with numerous professional associations, including a lifetime member of the National Health Federation. Dr. Clark is currently Managing BioActive Nutritional, Inc., and serves as Co-Chairman of the Seasilver USA Medical Advisory Board.

This description is misleading. Clark's Florida medical license was revoked in 1983 for unprofessional practice. Clark's practice, which opened in 1979 in Ormond Beach, Florida, initially included gynecology, family practice, and general nutrition, but "metabolic therapy" for cancer eventually accounted for 15% to 20% of his patients. The disciplinary matter involved two cancer patients whom he treated with "metabolic therapy." One was a man with terminal throat cancer. The other was a breast cancer patient for whom he prescribed laetrile, herbal tea, salves, substandard doses of chemotherapy, and whole-body hyperthermia, none of which have any scientifically plausible rationale or proven effectiveness against cancer. The case records indicate that after concluding that the cancer had spread to the woman's lungs, Clark prescribed dark and yellow salves and instructed the patient to apply them to her cancerous breast and underarm area, explaining that they would draw out and break down the tumor. The salves -- which apparently were caustic -- caused pieces of gray tissue to fall off the breast and underarm area, but Clark reassured her that the salves were breaking down the cancerous tumor. The Medical Board concluded that Clark had shown "absolute reckless disregard for the health of his patient".

Clark's "physician of the year award" was given by the Florida chapter of the International Association of Cancer Victors and Friends, a group whose primary activity is the promotion of quack cancer methods. The National Health Federation is another disreputable group whose goal is to weaken the government's ability to protect consumers against health frauds and quackery.

BioActive Nutritional, which Clark founded in 1986, markets a large line of homeopathic products claimed to be effective against hundreds of symptoms, diseases and conditions. As far as I know, none of these products has any proven therapeutic value or has even been scientifically tested. Clark is also identified as founder of the Institute of Quantum and Molecular Medicine and a staff member of the Florida College of Integrated Medicine, where, according to the school's Web site, he "lectures in Western biomedical sciences." Clark has also issued a letter of endorsement stating that "certified electrodiagnostic practitioners" have tested the phoenic hologram (a "healing symbol") and concluded that it can negate the negative effects of cell phones.

David R. Friedman, D.C., N.D., co-chairman of Seasilver's advisory board, is described on a promotional tape as "chiropractor to the stars." The tape, "America's Unbalanced Diet," suggests that everyone needs to take Seasilver because our diets are deficient and synthetic nutrients are poorly absorbed. The tape, which reminds me of Joe Wallach's "Dead Doctors Don't Lie," contains more than a hundred misleading statements. Friedman's biographical sketch on the Seasilver Web site states that more than 100,000 copies of the tape have been sold.

The Bottom Line
Seasilver,™ is an expensive, irrationally formulated supplement product that is marketed with false and misleading claims. Its label lists more than 80 ingredients but does not disclose how much of each the product contains. I can think of no logical reason to take it.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:05 PM   #11  
Uber-Moderator!!

Boy I am chatty today!

Just checked out the new forum here at 3FC - called "The Skinny Daily Post".

JuJu's website is pretty cool - some great essays there! Check it out

http://skinnydaily.blogspot.com/
Old 04-28-2003, 06:36 PM   #12  

Augh.

Tried to lower my carbs today with the same unpleasent side effects as last time :/ By dinner (6ish) I was so nauseous i could hardly eat. I litterally thought I was going to upchuck. I was fine once I forced down a banana and 1/2 a portion of mashed tatos and some chicken, but UGH.

Its weird too because I ate lots of veggies and even some really good cheese (25g protien, 1.5g carbs, moderate fat) and that tends to fill me RIGHT up.

So I give up on the low carb thing, I guess its just not for me. And with the way Ive felt TRYING it I cant imagine doing it for another DAY let alone a week.

On the up side I made some nice baked chicken today

Tidey
Old 04-28-2003, 06:53 PM   #13  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default Another new person!!

Hi!! I just wanted to introduce myself. I am a newbie when it comes to BFL, I am on my first week, of the first challenge (By the book of course!!). Well, I tried one a year ago, and did not finish it. I am also coming from a WW background, so tossing the scale will be a hard thing, as I am a weight recorder and have not reached goal yet! Ha ha ha. Good thing is that I no longer pay for meetings, so I will keep going, doing my thing, and eating/working out BFL style.

I have been lurking here at the LWL (formerly BFL) thread for about a year, so I feel like I know everyone already. I am sure I will have heaps of questions along the way, but you are such a motivating and positive group I had to join in.

I will post a brief background of me in the thread for introductions, but the short short version is that I am originally from Canada but have been living in Australia for 2 years…. I had a 3 year VERY long distance relationship with an Aussie, and we have been married for 18 months. He is a gym rat and it is so motivating to have someone to share this journey with.

Day 3 for me, just did lower body and I can tell already that I am going to be sore! I love BFL.

Well… back to work for me.

Bye!
Nola.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:07 AM   #14  

I so hate when when insomnia strikes. Boy, am I going to be cranky tomorrow. Ah well.

Hi Nola, welcome. Read your background info. Would the Whistler Mountain you mentioned be the one on the lovely Island of Victoria? I have family who live in the beautiful town of Sidney-By-the-Sea. They send us videotapes several times a year of their activities: boating, skiing, fishing, hunting and camping. The background scenery is absolutely amazing-the island seems so pristine and full of wild life. Oh and your bike is totally Kewl.

Karen, we watched the VHS version of Standing in the Shadows. Santa hasn’t bought a DVD player to our home as yet. Hmm, maybe this Christmas. I saw the movie on the Temptations when it debuted on NBC a few years ago.

Oh, BTW Karen and Meg, my husband thinks both of you are gorgeous and that your transformations were amazing. He living with the delusion that I might get my 20 year old body back. Ha..the poor man better wake up and smell the coffee. Better body...definitely. 20 year old body- no way.

Well, finally Mr. Sandman is calling my name.

Later

Sel

Last edited by Trinidad; 04-29-2003 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:16 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 163/163/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi All -

Nola, welcome! You're going to love BFL...working out is a great thing to do with your DH, my DH and I used to love to work out together, pre-kids. Now we split kid duty and workout time.

Mrs. Jim, Ultimate Fitness sounds interesting. I'm going to try to get it from my library.

Back again for Challenge 2 - Tidey, how goes Challenge 2 so far? The week off was fun for about 3 days, then got real old real fast. Did a lot of crap eating, and missing the gym. Was glad to get back to working out - although I have to admit I was really enjoying the 'eat clean 75%/eat whatever 25%' mode I was in - oh well, something to look forward to in maintenance.

The week off was good for my muscles, though - did my first UBWO yesterday and it rocked. Hit lots of new highs.

Hope everyone has a great day today. Will be checking out the recipe thread for some new and improved eating ideas.

BethO
Closed Thread