Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/246.5/145

Height: 5.4

Default Help...Did you...

Did you have hair loss while losing weight?? But my hair is so damaged anyway? Also could be age? It just feels so thin now.
Newme1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hello and

I have so much thick hair that this is not a problem for me; however, just my opinion... hair loss should not occur if you are eating a healthy, balanced plan and exercising sensibility. I once knew a woman who went on an extremely low calorie diet and worked out "like a maniac" and she did have a lot of hair loss and ended up with other health issues.

Best thing is to check with your doctor, though. We are all different and there could be something you are doing unknowingly that is causing the loss and adjustments you need to make.

I wish you the best.

Edited to add: My apologies... I just now realized I posted in this section, where I quite obviously do not belong... YET!!

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 12-16-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Hair loss while losing weight is typically caused my malnutrition. I've never lost a bit of hair during my 226 pound loss. You should definitely be looking at your diet.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #4  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Have you had your thyroid checked? That's one of the signs of an underactive thyroid.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

Hair loss can happen, even if you lose weight the healthy way. It's one of the body's response to being stressed and put out of homeostasis. If that's the case, it should grow back once you start to maintain again.

There a lots of things your body can go through, even with 100% healthy weight loss (i.e. insomnia, decreased mood, etc). Definitely get it checked out with a doctor to eliminate other potential medical causes, though.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 251.5/162/140

Height: 5'3"

I had weight loss surgery (VSG) & lost a ton of hair--it's pretty common with patients who have had surgery. I don't know if it is due to the low number of calories I eat each day, or just the rapid weight loss itself. I am now 8 months out & it has definitely slowed down to normal even though I'm really not eating any more calories than I was at the beginning. Luckily I had a bunch of hair to begin with & it's curly so you couldn't really see that it was thinning. I would talk to your doctor about it though just to make sure that your weight loss method is not harming you instead of helping.
amyk0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 268/211-ish/maybe 150'ish?

Height: 5'2

I've had considerable hair changes since losing weight...it's incredibly brittle & dull, and the two times I colored it mid-weight loss really damaged it a lot more than it should have. I've had fine, thin hair ever since I hit puberty & PCOS made me lose so much during, considering when I was little, I had such thick hair!

One thing that I'm starting to do that may help you as well, is to take a Biotin supplement and I'm using coconut oil as a hair treatment as well, to try to encourage any new growth to come out healthier. I have also used Biosilk on my hair which saved it back during a horrible highlighting mishap, to help give it a little shine, strength, & softness but I've heard really good things about Redken Anti-Snap leave-in treatment as well.
melsweetie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 153/146/115 (HW of 198)

Height: 5'2

I lost my hair while on Atkins...see my post in the carbs section under 17 day diet
Bex1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs View Post
Hair loss can happen, even if you lose weight the healthy way. It's one of the body's response to being stressed and put out of homeostasis. If that's the case, it should grow back once you start to maintain again.

There a lots of things your body can go through, even with 100% healthy weight loss (i.e. insomnia, decreased mood, etc). Definitely get it checked out with a doctor to eliminate other potential medical causes, though.
Completely agree. Google hair loss and major weight loss will be one of the causes and it doesn't have to be because of nutritional deficiencies. I had a major shed during my 100 lb weight loss and i take a ton of supplements in addition to my diet. i suspect the weight loss exacerbated some existing conditions i had and also major weight loss itself is a HUGE stress on the body, even if it is a good stress

That being said i think it's always prudent to scrutinize ones diet and make sure they're getting enough proteins, fats, calories and micronutrients, that their thyroid checks out healthy, etc. And in women it could be PCOS and androgens or hormonal imbalances contributing that has nothing to do with the soundness of the diet, imo.

A visit to the doctors office with a full blood/thyroid panel is always a good idea
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

Definitely rule out other medical causes. And also check your diet to make sure you are getting sufficient protein, fats and vitamins. If that is all fine - hairloss isn't anything to worry much about it. But you can definitely minimize or stop hair loss if you are eating enough protein, fats and getting plenty of vegetables. I would also suggest taking a multivitamin. Even doing all that - my research suggests some people will experience hair loss. You are relying on your fat cells for part of your bodies nourishment - and those are filled with crap and toxins ... its rough on your body. The good news is - you are getting rid of them!
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote