Old 11-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S290/C ticker/G 190

Height: 5'11"

Default When is too few cals a problem?

LoseIt says to lose 2 lbs a week I should aim for about 1950 cals a day. I find with all the veggies and stuff I'm eating, and adding in excersize, I'm netting more like 1600 per day. Am I just shooting myself in the foot? Should I be making an effort to stay closer to the 1950 cals? Will I just not have anywhere to go to to jumpstart my body if I stall out? Or will I just get slightly quicker weightloss?

Last edited by scoutycat; 11-16-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: corrected 2lbs /day to /week
scoutycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

What do you mean by netting? Are you subtracting calorie expenditure from exercise?
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #3  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

2 lbs a day seems like an awful lot. Are you sure that isn't a week?

And I would think that as long as you're ok with around 1600 and not starving then it should be ok? I tend to not eat my exercise calories back, I just don't count that at all.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

I think you have to go by how you feel. Are you tired or hungry? Try this- go to freedieting.com and put your goal weight into the calorie needs calculator and see what someone with your stats should eat to maintain. That way you will have an idea what you will be eating when you get there at your normal activity level.
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

It depends on the person. I lost the first 70 lbs (in about 4.5 months) eating 1200 a day, and fairly strictly sticking to that. For the most part, i was good energy and hunger wise at that level. Now, i've been working out (curves, 3-5 days/ week) for almost 2 months, and i'm finding that 1200 leaves me tired and a bit grumpy, so i'm currently redeciding on an appropriate goal intake for me. Usually, for me, it takes several weeks of trial and error to figure out what my body's current needs are. I have to go by consistent assessment of emotional and physical reactions to food levels before choosing the right calorie goal.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #6  

geoblewis- yes, after I subtract excercise. On days I excercise I usually have an extra snack, mostly because it drops my net calories to about 1200 & I feel a little hungrier after I work out.

Ok so it sounds like as long as I don't feel like I'm starving, low energy or moody I'm ok? I feel a ton more energy, I've been a bit grumpy but that was PMS, and I don't feel hungry. I'm not even craving stuff most of the time, unless it's right in my face at the mall or something.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #7  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

Then don't worry about it If you're hungry and snarly at people, then eat! If not, then you're good!
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

I use the lose it app too and started at 2 pounds per week as well. I actually started around 1800 and the app now has me at 1450. It has been a slow decrease and it works well for me and I have only stalled once so far. I like it because it helps me make slow lasting changes in my diet.

I would recommend not going below your BMR so when you lose weight you will still be able to cut cals as you go along. If you cut too much too soon, it may be harder to cut later and you may stall out. I knew if I cut too much at first I would risk backsliding on my plan.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #9  
wonderful shrinking woman

S/C/G: Lbs: 400/T*2.2/150

Height: 5'6"

The problem with too few calories is that you can negatively affect your metabolism. As you go into "starvation mode" your body holds on to calories, making it harder to lose over time. You might feel ok but suddenly this kicks-in and you hit a plateau. It's the old "set-point" theory. That's why most tracking apps suggest no more than 2 lbs. per week.

That said, if your metabolism has slowed, you may find that the recommended daily calories is still too high to sustain a 1.5 to 2 lb. per week loss. I have that problem and need to lower my average daily allotment by about 200 cal. As I lose weight my tracking app drops the number of calories so I stay on track with about a 2 lb. per week loss.

Also, I never eat my exercise calories. I consider it a "bonus". But I try to get to the maximum for the day on exercise days to keep from dipping too low.

So many people are in a hurry to lose weight. To keep it off I prefer to go slow and aim for mini-goals. I need to make monitoring my intake something that I will be doing for the rest of my life.
sistah phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #10  

Could I really be kicking into starvation mode tho if I'm eating a healthy diet that is about what I would (should) eat if I were already the healthy weight I want to be? Even after taking calories off for weights and cardio, I'm not under 1300 cals/day ever.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #11  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I don't think looking at your weight and cals that you're going into starvation mode. If you have energy and you're losing steady don't worry about it. Add back calories if you feel tired or tweak if you stall. This is based on my personal experience but I find that when you're at a higher weight, you can shave a few more cals at the start. And really you're not cutting that much more. Just stay n tune with your body.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #12  
wonderful shrinking woman

S/C/G: Lbs: 400/T*2.2/150

Height: 5'6"

Sorry scoutycat. I didn't mean to alarm you. Just tried to answer the question in your post title. I agree with radiojane that you need to be in tune with your body. It sounds like you have a solid plan to keep monitoring and adjusting, as needed.
sistah phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #13  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Honestly, you won't go into starvation mode. That takes A LONG time and very few calories. It won't happen if for a week or two you are eating 1500 instead of 1900 or w/e.

You can easily increase calorie intake by eating a handful of almonds (200 calories right there) or some peanut butter.

Its also great that you are focusing on your net calories. Many people do not realize that if you eat 1300 and then burn off 500, you are consuming far to few calories to be enough for your body to function properly.

If you are full, then do not stress about reaching 1900 calories. You can however consume higher calorie foods without feeling guilty about it. Adding full calorie dressings to salads, adding an extra slice of cheese.. things like that can easily help increase your calories.

Too few calories becomes a problem when you are starving, you are always tired, your brain just won't turn on and you have been grouchy non-stop.

Last edited by Candeka; 11-18-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote